Roll On Performance

Doesn't take long at all to hit 150 in my car, quite a bit less time than almost everything else in the field actually ;).
Who builds a car like these with poor brakes these days? It's the first thing I think about, how heavy, how fast, what brakes...

Where is all this stuff about slow GT40s coming from, you guys using Lada engines or something over there?

Tim.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Agreed Tim. ed.

Doing this on a track can be dangerous with traffic and on the street it is irresponsible. However, there could be a solution.

Autobahn.
I second the agreement with Tim although there is a small part of me that wants to take little Georgie out behind the woodshed so to speak :)

I don't disagree about the dangers but I would suggest that legality issues aside, running 180mph down an Autobahn is putting more people in danger than running 180 down a deserted American freeway at 6am on the weekend. Given Autobahn drivers seem to understand which lane to travel in far better than their American counterparts, there is still traffic and potential for unintended consequences. If they too are empty at certain times then that would be a great venue. Either way it's dangerous and one should make sure that if they wish to take on said risk that they don't endanger innocent bystanders. There are options in some locations of the US. Runway events are gaining in popularity and are a perfect venue for side by side racing in an controlled environment.

Listen for the "We better win" comment right at the beginning from the Lambo drivers female passenger :)

Ford GT vs Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 - YouTube

You need A LOT of room to move a GT40 over 150. LeMans gear ratios would be quite a handful in neighborhood traffic. The other issue that hasn't been discussed is that the technology to get you to 150 plus is often not pared with the capability to slow it down. Braking from 150 plus is very different than braking from 120. I'd be cautious on getting on the autobahn or interstate and "letting her rip" instead, save it for a track day someplace. Unless you've had some seat time working your car down from the speeds we're talking about, you may find yourself wadded into a ball when you have more speed than clear road.

All true. That's why I shortened my MK-IV final ratio. In town it was undrivable with Le Mans gearing and a Hill start was a Bitch. Your remarks on brakes is too true. Dan told me that at Le Mans first he had to slowly back way off before the end of the Mulsannne to land the front wheels and that the brakes were good for one 223-25 application per lap and if you used them anywhere else making the 25mph Mulsanne corner was tough.

Your car's probably have a lot more brakes than my MK-IV but still keep stopping distances in mind if you venture towards 200.

Cheers

Back