Roush Intake

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I haven't been able to take measurements yet, but I think I now have to solution for the problem of getting enough air into a high RPM Dart based engine. I have just purchased a Rousch '94/'95 Cobra intake. Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 27639-RoushParts.JPG
    27639-RoushParts.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,248
Lynn,

If you are looking for max power on a large engine, you might also want to take a look at the EFI Spyder intake manifold from Coast High Performance. It uses an Edelbrock Victor Jr. modified for use with EFI and has a very good reputation with racers.

Here is the link: http://www.coasthigh.com/Fuel%20Injection/spyder.htm

Click on Products at the top of the page to see more.

You can use one of my intakes, Craig Hassler has one on his 347 that made 617 HP at 9200rpm. Dart block, Oliver billet rods and crank, ported AFR205 heads, VCP stack intake, mechanical roller cam, shaft mounted rockers.

That really sounds like a drag racing motor.

A 347 has a 3.400” stroke. At 9,200 RPM the mean piston speed would be 5,213 FPM. That is not a number that would work for an endurance-racing engine. (Not to mention valvetrain issues). It would be fine for a drag racing engine that is torn down after every 10 miniutes or so of run time. But it would probably have the life expectancy of a flashbulb in road racing.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
The engine that I plan to build will be a 302 with as light a rotating mass as I can afford and the same with the valve train. There are some kits out now that will let you run shaft mount rockers even on heads that say "No Shaftmount." I have had a couple of suggestions on custom cams and I already have a guy near Charlotte who builds NASCAR engines who I going to do the final honing on the Dart block and put it together for me. This is phase III for the car and will be done over time to spread the cost out. But this intake was kind of like the G50/50: not something you run across every day and I wanted to grab it while it was available. It was about 1/5 of the cost of your type of outfit Wayne. I like the look of the stack injection and the flow, but I like the ability of measuring the airflow on this intake and running a MAF system. Another thing is that if I decide I want to play with a turbo it will cake to hook up on this intake. The other option, the dual plane carb type manifold with and EFI elbow on it just doesn't suite my liking. Heads will be AFR 185 or equivalent (ported 165s w/bigger valves.) Phase II will be AFR 165s, GT40 shortened intake and a FRP X303 cam on a stock block. I am going to put in some Keith Blacks to try a set of Edlebrock Performer RPM heads with the 2.02I/1.6E valves just to see what the dyno numbers look like between them and the AFRs. Both sets have been milled to give ~10:1.

Lynn,

Check the October and November issues of “Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords”.

In October they flow bench tested the AFR 185, Edelbrock Performer RPM, and a number of other heads. In November they dyno tested all of them.

December and January they did the same thing with the AFR 205 and Edelbrock Victor Jr. Heads.

Sounds like you have quite a motor planned for phase 3. If you do turbo it, please post some pictures, I would love to see the layout.

(By the way, the Victor Jr. Manifold is a racing single plane with a design RPM range to 8,000RPM, not a dual plane).

Have Fun,

Kevin

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I have been trying to find some specs on this intake as have a lot of the guys in the Roush world. The only thing anyone has been able to find in terms of performance expectations is the following from the Roush '94/'95 marketing slick. BTW, this intake system was the Stage III add-on for '94-'95 Rousch cars.
<font color="blue">
"Of particular interest is the Roush Induction system - 65mm throttle body, high flow air filter, three-piece Roush dual plenum intake assembly. They claimed it added 47HP to your stock 5.0! With GT-40 heads, up to 99HP, and with Roush CNC-ported GT-40 heads, up to a 120HP gain!" </font>

I am assuming that "GT-40 heads" is referring to the "Y" heads. These were also known as the swirl-port heads prior to the addition of "X" and now "Z" heads.

Regards,
Lynn

Back