RT saker seat pictures

Good day folks. Been a long time since I logged in here. Good to see the forum salive and kicking :)

I'm scratch building a little offroad frame here for a fun toy and am basing the chassis dimensions around a "saker" style seat, like the Race Tech RT Saker 28 degree layback.

What I'm looking for are pictures of someone sitting in one of these seats that shows me where the persons head is in relation to the very top of the seat back. I'm trying to factor for helmet clearance in the chassis rollbar and it's a bit of a trick to do so without knowing how high up the head is on the seat. If it's a picture of yourself and you could kindly list your height along with the photo as well that would be superb!

I just don't want to buy an $850+ seat only to find it will not work and be stuck with it.

I appreciate the help in advance

Best Regards!

-Adam

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Adam - Welcome back...

In my opinion, buying a seat comes in a very close third in regard to fitting to you. First and Second being Helmet / Driver's Suit.
Many manufacturers know this and will allow you to return for exchange on the condition you pay shipping and the product is not altered or damaged in any way.
The also can supply you with precise specs (measurements) which you could possibly use to visit a racing supply showroom to compare against other seats.

Many variables need to be taken into consideration on seats. Most importantly is the fit, but followed closely by the position of the ports for the harness..

^^ Agreed and what I follow 100% for the norm here.

This isn't a car thing though, more like an ATV type thing, and just recreational. The height of the frame I'm building requires a layback seat. Racetechs have always fit my thin build well and I've never had an issue with them so that's the big reason for shooting at this RTSaker from them.

I shot an email to RT to see if they'll take a picture of one of their employees sitting in a demo seat on the floor :laugh: We'll see if they respond in kind

Appreciate the response. I enjoy reading through this forum. Mostly well-headed people on board here.

Adam,
Here is the North American site for Racetech,
Racetech Race Seats
I have a set of their seats. They are very comfortable and are great for the mid to small frame people like you and I. I am 5-9 and 160 and a 32" inseam. It fits me very well. If you have a wider frame, you or your passengers should fit OK. Here is the page of the seat. It has all the dimensions that you will need.
Racetech Race Products
There is no one to take the pic except myself, but you don't need it. If you are using the standard mounting hardware, your seat is 29" tall from the floor with it mounted. There is maybe 1" of clearance from the bottom of the seat to the floor. Racetech says in its dimension sheet that it is 26.9" from bottom to top. Either mine is longer, or their measurement is off. I have had mine for about 5 years. The top of my head is at the top of the seat. Now if you have copious amounts of hair, or a shorter inseam, you will have to add for that. I can't help you there.

Bill

Bill,

Yes racetech is my preferred seat company. I've had good luck with fitment in the past and have a 4009 in one car and a 4009hr for the rally car. Figure I couldn't go wrong with their saker.

So what you're saying is that at 5'9"/32" inseam and fully secured into the seat, your head is roughly in the position depicted by the circle in the CAD pic below?

seatpic.jpg

I have a 34" inseam, so all said and done I think my head will float 2-3" above yours, + helmet leaves me about 2.5-3" of headroom in the chassis current state. That's 2"+ more than I have in the Ultima with no helmet on! hahah!

Big thanks for the help folks.

If anyone still wants to post a picture please do so. It all helps in the end.

Here are a few pics...

Attachments

• Saker (new) Photo's 001.jpg
    Saker (new) Photo's 001.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 529
  • Saker (new) Photo's 003.jpg
    Saker (new) Photo's 003.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 678
  • Saker (new) Photo's 004.jpg
    Saker (new) Photo's 004.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 611
is that the 28 degree layback? Seems a bit "upright" in those pictures compared to how racetech describes it, or is it just mounted on different brackets to make it sit up higher?

Was hoping that it was more of a layback angle with a lower height profile :cry:

I'm not using these at all, but from what I've seen, I don't think there'd be any issues with these in a GT40...

I have one in a track only RCR40..and they will fit very nicely...although we do lay them back a little more..

Adam,
I have some 962 seat shells if you are interested...drop me an email/pm..

Adam,
I took my trusty angle finder and checked out the different angles that are in the Saker seat. First off, the angle of inclination in a GT-40(DRB) is only 20* from vertical. The slope of the Saker is built to replicate the spine in the "average" occupant. At the level of the lower spine(waist) the angle is 38*. At the mid thoracic region(chest cage at the nipple line) the angle is about 28-30* to almost truly vertical at the head. These measurements are general in that the shape of the seat is somewhat rounded. The angle given is probably an average of the various angles.
The back of the seat truly matches the shape of the GT-40 even with the differences in the angular measurements. It fits very close to the fire wall. Pushed back it is difficult to get ones hand behind the seat.
In my car the rear wall goes vertical from the floor about 4 inches and then begins its slope. The ledge of the gas tanks is about8 to 10". So you don't see the "gap" at the very bottom of the seat, just the mid thoracic level which is matching the angle of the rear wall.

Bill

I have one in a track only RCR40..and they will fit very nicely...although we do lay them back a little more..

Adam,
I have some 962 seat shells if you are interested...drop me an email/pm..

Looking at the picture that shows the very flat lower section it seems one could lay them back quite a bit w/o imparting any severe leg angles.

Adam,
I took my trusty angle finder and checked out the different angles that are in the Saker seat. First off, the angle of inclination in a GT-40(DRB) is only 20* from vertical. The slope of the Saker is built to replicate the spine in the "average" occupant. At the level of the lower spine(waist) the angle is 38*. At the mid thoracic region(chest cage at the nipple line) the angle is about 28-30* to almost truly vertical at the head. These measurements are general in that the shape of the seat is somewhat rounded. The angle given is probably an average of the various angles.
The back of the seat truly matches the shape of the GT-40 even with the differences in the angular measurements. It fits very close to the fire wall. Pushed back it is difficult to get ones hand behind the seat.
In my car the rear wall goes vertical from the floor about 4 inches and then begins its slope. The ledge of the gas tanks is about8 to 10". So you don't see the "gap" at the very bottom of the seat, just the mid thoracic level which is matching the angle of the rear wall.

Bill

Bill I love this stuff :) Taking you specs there and plugging them into CAD to see what works here. Where I luck out is the rear firewall in this chassis I'm building isn't nearly as constrictive as the DRB seems to be.

They do appear to be a bit more upright than I had imagined, but in the application I'm planning here laying them back a bit more looks like it will achieve what I need here. The mounts themselves will be part of the tube chassis and can be configured as I see fit.

You guys have been great. Can't thank you enough.

And Fran I'll send you a message here.

Back