SAAC Las Vegas

February 13, 14, 15. Details are here .

Hoping to have my car on the track for this event.

It seems a little late to be making hotel reservations, however. I don't know if it's just because it's Valentine's Day weekend, or if htere is something else going on in Vegas at that time, but it's hard to find a hotel room under $200 for Friday or Saturday night (hint: try Overton, NV). The SAAC-reserved block of rooms is sold out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back from Vegas... And a good time was had by all.

I did get out on the track for the afternoon sessions on Saturday - this was the "outside road course" at LVMS. Dead flat but some interesting & fun turns. I ended up driving the whole track in third gear because I'm still not used to how stiff my clutch pedal is and the pedals are not yet set where I need them to be to do a proper heel & toe downshift. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Despite that, and the street tires, I was still not the slowest car on the track. There were some wicked fast cars out there with some serious horsepower (and some guys who had also run in the morning session, so knew the track better) so I was watching my mirrors all afternoon. The rear visibility is really not that bad (although it should be noted that this was a controlled event with designated passing zones so no one could sneak into the blind spots).

I met a bunch of people, most of whom I can't remember. One of them though was Wallace Wyss, who is writing a new book on the GT40 - something to look forward to in the not-too distant future. He said he plans to cover the originals, and then include a chapter on the new GT as well...

Back