Salt Walther GT40 buried in mud story

So, coming back to seeing what opinions have been expressed on this subject after some time, apparently the GT40 owner's world accepts the ex-Salt Walther car as original today though it has had a chassis change/update/replacement. I wondered about that until I got a new book on the Lola T70 and found chassis replacements much more common in that model of race car. I guess I am used to the Ferrari world where chassis changes on the pre-'70 tube-framed cars are very rare.

I am used to the vintage Mustang / Shelby world, where a 'chasis' replacement it considered to be 'rebody' and paramount to fraud.

Now that Dynacord makes and sells complete '67/68 bodies, Someone 'could' technically resurrect a VIN from a long-gone '67 GT350 and build up a really nice car.

Thats fine by me.... it just does not deserve to be passed off as a 'real' GT350.

I can't remember the fireman's name but I do remember he had a Mk. II rear body section for sale from a real Mk. II. Also that he rents his Hummer to the movies. I think that's his business now, renting vehicles to movies and TV.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So, coming back to seeing what opinions have been expressed on this subject after some time, apparently the GT40 owner's world accepts the ex-Salt Walther car as original today though it has had a chassis change/update/replacement. I wondered about that until I got a new book on the Lola T70 and found chassis replacements much more common in that model of race car. I guess I am used to the Ferrari world where chassis changes on the pre-'70 tube-framed cars are very rare.

A friend here in MN used to own an original T70 mk3B and after seeing some of the repairs done to that thin aluminum monocoque tub, I can certainly understand why the replacement of the entire tub would have been an option.
Those tubs (in my opinion) were not nearly as substantial as the steel GT40 tub was. Plus, being aluminum, most repairs (on the tub I observed) were not welded in, but rather rivet patched..

Hipperson; thanks for posting the original letters regarding servicing your GT40. It's refreshing to see typewritten letters now that typewriters are history. I liked the family pictures, too, though I only looked at the GT40 and Iso Grifo. I am still confused though over whether your car was 1005 and how long after you owned it that it got to Mr. Walther. Also any views on its combining with a replacement chassis?

As I said, after reviewing a book on T70s I can see GT40 chassis replacement is not near as common as in T70s...though occasionally necessary due to rust in the originals.

Wallace

Absolutely no doubt that my car was 1005
I bought it fron a London society photographer Julian Seddon.
The secretary of the GT40 OC Brian Wingfield confirmed the car was kosher....not that I had any doubt. The seller was a known proper guy

You must remenber in 1971 these cars were worth nothing and as such the 'monkeys and ragamuffins' had nothing to gain by cloning or whatever.
I went to London saw the car and returned the next day with a Bank Draft for £4600 then drove the car for the first time ever across London and back home to Essex.
That was how business was done then
Trust existed
It was a hot Spring Day and at every traffic light I had to open the driver door it was like an oven...but the engine ran cool with both fans on it made the car vibrate !

It was a seminal day for me which I will not forget....it was quick but not mega quick plus the fact that the racing tyres followed every undulation on the road and you had to run with a foot lightly on the brakes to heat them up

I got home and my Dad although knowing of the purchase ( it was his money!) was visibly shocked when he heard it come up the drive.
I took him out for a 5 mile drive as a passenger immediately
He said..'I thought it would be faster'....................a few minutes later he withdrew the comment

Just a day I will never forget....my Dad (RIP) was a wonderful Dad............the next year in 1972 we had the only cross words we ever had during his life
I bought a 275GTB (£2800 my money) without telling him.......'what makes you think at 25 years of age you can have a Ferrari before me'...........................

Just a day I will never forget....my Dad (RIP) was a wonderful Dad............the next year in 1972 we had the only cross words we ever had during his life
I bought a 275GTB (£2800 my money) without telling him.......'what makes you think at 25 years of age you can have a Ferrari before me'...........................

This put a smile on my face, really, really cool!!! Hope my boys will say this about me when I'm gone.

John

Back