Sandy Ganz engine and trans

This is Sandy's Killer engine and trans package...he has described it in detail elsewhere on the forum.....

Attachments

• 70718-Lola3bspider012.jpg
    70718-Lola3bspider012.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 790
WOW! serious equipment there.
The water pump/alternator combo looks really cool too.
I have never seen one of those before.
If this unit is dependable/ streetable it may be a blessing for many a GT40 builder.

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome!! Simply awesome!! But where is the alternator?

Bill D

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

If you look close inside the waterpump pulley you will see the windings

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The alternator/waterpump is one of those few things that now and again you run across that is really cool. The site is www.racemate.com and the inventor/racer name is John Barret. Very nice old time race guy, just a bit slow to get the parts out sometimes. I have one on my mustang and it is a bit smaller at 32amps, this one is a 68amp one so it is a bit thicker. It is also available in v-belt as well. They are somewhat pricey, but really worth it when you think you get get rid of the alternator, brackets, belt mess. Just an really ingenious part. He also made the dry sump mandrel for this one.

As for realibility, I have had one on the mustang for a couple of year, but it is even simpler then an alternator, since it has no brushes. The water pumps are avaiable in a couple of style too, one that is really slick for the SBF in that it gets rid of that stupid steel backing plate and replaces it with a billet cover that is flush to the back side of the pump. Check out the site, somewhat lacking in tech, but you will find all the info in the PDF.

David - BTW he is located in San Diego, really nice guy, also races 66 Mustangs.

Sandy

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Sandy,

With that alternator\waterpump setup, is there any issue with clearace into the cabin bulkhead? Appears to extend a bit further forward and larger diameter than the standard waterpump pulley.

Very nice drive train.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Yep, I'm guessing that Fran is going to have to show his welders craft to put a bump in the bulkhead. The 32amp one would be a better choice, but with the fans, fuel pumps, ign, better to have the 68amp. Also the pulleys are heavly underdriven (You can pick any ratio, he makes them custom) so I figured better to have the big unit. Will have to see where the engine/trans alignment goes... The measurement from the front of the block to end (topsize) of the pulley would be a good indicator for other as to how far it is.

Sandy

John B

Temp Selling Pass
The D stads for DAHHHHHHHHHHHHH..Were be datt alternator? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
You will have to ask Fran that, I would expect that as soon as he get some time. You know after unloading a couple of cars he likely will be in the local pub for a couple of weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, Happy Holidays all your RCR watchers!

Sandy

Back