Scotts build thread

Ya but, the blower whine is a big part of it. Lol.

If you look at this drag boat, squint your eyes and imagine the cockpit shape of the SLC similar to the boats but with that big ass motor in the back. Turn it into a drag car. Be nutty looking! That would pretty much say "DECIMATE ALL"! I just don't think there is a transaxle made to hold 2,000hp on a car that could launch that hard.
Again, just a fleating little thought if were to build another one.

127.jpg

Okay, to really treat the idea would be to delve deeply into propulsion, braking and handling. And, before we got done, we would venture into philosophy and morals. (Seriously!)

That would take this thread very far away from Scott building the way-cool Scott SLC. Personally, in this thread, I like reading about Scott building the way-cool Scott SLC.

What if we put this discussion into another thread in the appropriate subforum?
Okay, I have asked Ye Poweres That Bee which forum to put this in.

:thumbsup:

Les

I spent alot of time at the drag strip with my dad as a kid, and have always had a place in my heart for prostreet cars. While I love turbos ( I have 3 twin turbo cars, lol), a big 14/71 with a 1/2" pitch belt on a big block is truely a scary and brutal sound!
I almost did a twin charged ls2 in my 67 Camaro with a 6/71 jimmy and twin gt35's. Unfortuneately, the 6/71 blower I had would have been the choking point for the 1,000hp I am after with it. While completely ineffiecient (teflon lined rotors are alot better tho), there still is not much better for pure shock and awe value than a big roots style blower imo.
The newer pro mod class is some of the nuttiest cars, and hardest to control down the strip than pretty much any other. Short wheelbase, 2-3,000 hp, huge slicks. Gonna be a wild ride!

I have a couple of fresh extra 588's with 14/71's, Big Chief's, etc sitting around, you have me thinking about this! :D

BTW, if you want not only the sound, size, and the power, a big Whipple (980) or PSI twin screw is even more impressive than a big roots!

A shameless plug for my new business. The first job is a nice hotel on the coast here. Still not finished, but coming out great so far! The customer and the GC like it so much, they have already committed to using us solely for all of their future projects. So up next, a 35 room hotel and 2 very high end houses.
Zero advertising so far. We are the only company in Oregon (and the nation that I have seen) that goes straight from manufacture, to install. Gives us the oppurtunity to beat competitors prices by as much as 60% installed, with a much nicer product. All advertising will hit end of June. Hoping it to go ape shit with a main focus on commercial properties. Going into 2 of the biggest lumber yards by end of month also.
Hoping I got a winner here! This first job had nearly all different variants of the railing systems, and engineering for glass pool barriers at 48" high with a D wind rating to 140mph! Only one other company in Oregon is capable of that, but not with stainless!

Very excited to use some of my metal working/welding experience I got from building cars to turn into a good business.
This has been the reason not much car work has been happening. Lol.

A shameless plug for my new business. The first job is a nice hotel on the coast here. Still not finished, but coming out great so far! The customer and the GC like it so much, they have already committed to using us solely for all of their future projects. So up next, a 35 room hotel and 2 very high end houses.
Zero advertising so far. We are the only company in Oregon (and the nation that I have seen) that goes straight from manufacture, to install. Gives us the oppurtunity to beat competitors prices by as much as 60% installed, with a much nicer product. All advertising will hit end of June. Hoping it to go ape shit with a main focus on commercial properties. Going into 2 of the biggest lumber yards by end of month also.
Hoping I got a winner here! This first job had nearly all different variants of the railing systems, and engineering for glass pool barriers at 48" high with a D wind rating to 140mph! Only one other company in Oregon is capable of that, but not with stainless!

Very excited to use some of my metal working/welding experience I got from building cars to turn into a good business.
This has been the reason not much car work has been happening. Lol.

Scott, Good to see your product is working out for you. Nice clean install. You'll do well with it.

Well, here is the start of the whole rear diffuser. It will be a cross between the Zonda R and FXX. If it comes out right. Haha. It will go all the way across though. Chose 15 degree slope.
Gives a good indication of how far the body work will come out. Should get pretty far on the diffuser today.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Obviously you were dead serious when you said the rear end was going to be radical! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Lol. Yup, going to be abit different. The Zonda R is the inspiration for the rear diffuser. Had to start with it to see where to stop body work and set foam on to start forming. While the pics are hard to tell at this point, it will shape up alot like the Zonda in how the body work meets the diffuser. The Zonda also has alot of the character traits as the SLC when you look at the back. I added a little center tunnel, similar to the middle part of the FXX diffuser. It will be kind of like the red headed step child of the Zonda and FXX. Lol.
Finally a little break in work, to work on the car!

2009-Pagani-Zonda-R-Rear-Angle-1280x960.jpg

Really interesting work.
Do you have a set of scales? It's my understanding that there is already a rear weight bias on the SLC and I'm curious to see how much it would increase with that modification.

Any car made in the world that has engine in back, has a heavier rear weight bias, not just an SLC.
Diffuser is made of 0.080" alum, not 1/4". Also has bracing and winglets to add strength back in while keeping it light. Whole diffuser will weight in at 18# complete. The piece I pulled off the rear was 30#. That leaves me 12# (which I will be less that that) of material to hang wing from just to be equal, not heavier, than the original piece I removed.
I have been building the car with a big eye on weight. The front body work only added approx 2 sq ft of surface area. I am hand laying it with structural mat, so I can achieve same strength with less weight and half thickness as chop gun application, especially in compound curves, so front probably balances out to original weight.
I am not filling and building all of these areas with solid bondo! My work is very consistent in thickness. My layer of bondo finishes at close to the thickness of gelcoat.

Will my car weight more than others? Possibly, but I am also running twin turbos with water/air intercooler set up and water cooled turbos and wastegates. I am also going for more of a quality of build like a high end supercar, which will include all close out panels, sound deadening, and other parts that will add weight that others may not do. I predict the car to come in about 2750# when done. Hopefully, the planned 1,000hp can move it. ;)

Good info. I was not concerned about overall weight, was more just curious about the ratio front to rear and if the modifications would have any impact on that. I don't know much about any impact of weight added behind the axles and didn't know if it had a leverage type effect on the weight bias.

Didn't mean to derail your thread, I'm impressed with what you are doing with the car and watch your build with interest.

Last edited:
Thanks John.
Yes, you do gain leverage by putting further away from axle centerlines. The reason also why most of my front aero (atleast the major effective parts of it) is so close to the front. I will gain leverage putting more weight onto tires. Same will happen with back. So, in theory, higher down force created with least moment of inertia based on overall weight.
Tuning of the car will happen after car is done, obviously. Rear wing and diffuser will be adjustable in their angles. There is also tons that can happen on front to make lots more downforce there. Larger splitter, canards, etc. Will be making those once back is done.

Back