Scotts build thread

I was originally trying to add a little more design to it, and hoping I could do a brake duct that would-
Look visually good
Easy to mold
Easy to make the back side air bucket to hose connection

The 4"x7" naca duct in that position takes care of two of those perfectly, since a guy could really position it any way he wanted in that section, no changes to mold, and making the rear connection is as simple as buying 2 2.5" naca ducts. As for looks, I plan to hide it a bit, but others could use a larger duct and position differently if they so choose.
My problem visually was that there was something off looking about the main nose opening. I was trying to make a brake duct design that could make that area look better. Now, I have figured out my fix for the nose opening, and will no longer rely on having to make a brake duct there to dress it up.
So, if I do decide to start making/selling the parts, this design leaves the position up to the end purchaser, and me not having to make more parts to the mold to do it. Plus, since it is just a simple naca duct, end user will not have to spend hours trying to make a complex design on the back side to hook a hose too it. Just glue or bolt in the naca duct from underneath, and done.

I think the brake duct thing can finally be put to rest for me now, thanks to all who gave suggestions and ideas. Just too many positives to this style, and it hid alot better than I thought it would. Now, back to the rad exit opening, and redoing the rad opening abit. Getting closer!

Would this design do the trick visually/functionally?

Password:JDM Dry Carbon Fiber Naca Ducts Nissan R35 GTR

The problem visually I was getting is that the shape of the car in that area goes from wide to narrow, and is at a slope towards the outside. An naca duct goes from narrow to wide. With the angle also, it just looks a little off when the duct is fully exposed and it is at an angle to make it straight to the car and air, plus the opposite shape design. If it was fully visible, I was really getting an added on, not well thought out look. Perfect for a race car where function is picked over visual, but I am really trying for a high end supercar look. I will just go with the 2.5" naca duct, and manipulate the opening a little, hidden under the winglet. It works perfect right there for my hose routing and inner fender well too.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Kind of funny, was rummaging around the garage and found a couple hokey little vents that I bought for another car, but never used them. They are at a good angle for the brake ducts, and a naca duct could be glued on behind it still to make hooking hose up easy. After al those other mock ups, I may just be grafting these in and opening up the holes.
Got started on the radiator exit. Make a raised lip at front, and tapering down on the sides. This is just the first infill attemp. Needs something different, too plain. But, want to keep the theme going like the fender vents.

The little vents look good and match the "stealth" look to the front. The radiator exit vanes really add to that look also. Its turning into a mean looking machine. I like the flat black look, not sure if that is what you are going for in the end, but the Aventador looks really good in flat black.

The little vents look good and match the "stealth" look to the front. The radiator exit vanes really add to that look also. Its turning into a mean looking machine. I like the flat black look, not sure if that is what you are going for in the end, but the Aventador looks really good in flat black.

I highly doubt I will be finishing in satin black. I just keep rattle canning black primer on the car so I can keep a better eye on how it is coming out. Very hard to tell when you have many different colors going on.
I saw a very nice color combo on one of the Huracan's in the Blancpain series. I can't find a pic of it, but it was dark royal blue, then a lighter bright blue, and white (black would probably be my contrast color). It had a race car look and feel, but also a high end feel to it. The car is really set up to do a 3 color combo with the way the front is now.
I usually wait until a car is finished, then I grab a lawn chair, get drunk as hell, and dream up some crazy paint job based on what the cars personality is. I try to do solid colors (no pearls or flake) on frp to make touch ups easy, but this car I think could really go any direction and look good.

Maybe the Lion racing or prestige performance cars

lamborghini-blancpain-super-trofeo-7.jpg

EP-151119902.jpg

Maybe the Lion racing or prestige performance cars

lamborghini-blancpain-super-trofeo-7.jpg

EP-151119902.jpg

Awesome, you found it! The car in the second pic. I would lighten up the dark blue to a touch lighter to contrast with the black more though. It could look very menacing while still having a richness to it if done down the right lines in the right proportions.

Weighed that thing yet?

I figure all of the work to the front will only add 10lbs, including the weight of the alum frame. That is mostly since I am having to use bondo to smooth it out. Structural handlaid matting, and I guess it would shave 15lbs.Very little has actually been added, like the front wings. Even the vents are made by using the cut out piece, so it is a wash.

Just like I did on the fender vents, decided to cut the rad vents in half. Much better look. Posting lots of pics as it is easier for even me to see how it is coming along on screen rather than in person. In person it looks wicked!

Back