Scotts build thread

Scott,

First.. let me say you do amazing work! In playing around with body mods, I have learned that there may never be a "right" answer. Instead, you have to interpret what you fell is correct. Opinions are like xxxholes... everybody has one! :stunned: So here is mine (my opinion, not my xxxhole). I think the new outline of the headlight fits the car MUCH better. While the pointed front looks cool, I think this softens it some... which I personally like. While giving opinions you didn't as for.... consider shortening the new winglets a little. The tunnel you have exposed is killer. By shortening the rear portion of the winglet, more of the tunnel is exposed.

Give me your input about your fiberglass process. One of my problems with my fiberglass is large pinholes or voids in areas where I cannot lay up th piece independently. So I am going back with a handpiece, exposing those areas and filling with Duraglass. Any thoughts on a better way?:shrug:

Hey Michael. As far as the winglet pieces, the size of them was dictated by what I felt to be the best aero-wise. They can always be cut down in the future if some actual cfd work calls for it. Imo tho, any shorter and it will just take away downforce while also adding more drag. Those pieces are pretty pivotal to the overall performance. Luckily
I post alot of pics here, since it is a very good way for me to not be in front of car (which can alter my perspective on the design) and can judge the car more as you guys do. I will note what you guys have said though about possibly shortening them, and take into consideration upon the final go over before paint when the project can be looked at as a whole. There is still some design considerations though that will be happening that will change, like larger splitter, and then ofcourse the new headlights. Those could will change the perspective once again.
I was trying hard to keep a linear look to the front. Once I outlined the new headlights though, it literally changed the whole look! It took away the lines of the car from linear front to back, to a little bit more of a conventional "middle point" look. Was pretty blown away at the change it had. As you know, these things are very important to the overall look and feel of the car and worth doing once, twice, 4 times until it is good.

About the only thing I could say about the fg work is to get as close as possible to your finished product buck as you can the first shot. You either spend the time on the buck, or you will be spending it in time perfecting the fg part itself. Whether you make a positive mold, negative mold, stretchy fabric method, or just make some process up, the closest you can get to a finished part before laying anything up, will save you time, weight, and cost of materials.
I rarely use kitty hair, unless it is a large fill or needs alot of strength to it. It is hard to sand, and very easy to get voids in it. For finishing work and filling, I use a cheap $15 a gallon bondo that spreads like crap, lots of pinholes. But, right after it starts to harden, bust out a wood rasp. You do your main forming of the shape with that, unless you have inside corners or inside radiuses, in that case you can get a curved rasp, or make your own sander. Then 36 grit paper to finesse. Those two steps need to happen quickly after it gels though, do not wait hours or until next day! Repeat that process as many times as it takes until your shape is there. Then I bust out the $50 per gallon bondo as my last skim coat, and finish in 220. At that point you are ready to do a few thick coats of polyester primer (literally a sprayable bondo) and do your guide coat, then finish out with 220 to shape, and 400 to get ready for your sealer or next primer step. A hair dryer to quickly cure bondo and a wood rasp will be your mostly used tools. I still literally do everything by hand with almost no power tools (to keep garage halfway clean!) and you can pick up huge amounts of speed and a better finish using that process.
Feel free to give me a call sometime if you want to chat shop a bit. 503-504-1037 I think I already have a novel going here. Haha.:thumbsup:

Fiat Coupe headlights might look good there (possibly swapped sides):
Outside1.jpg

headlight1.jpg

headlight2.jpg

Unfortunately, it was never sold in the US (was at least throughout Europe), so probably doesn't have the correct approvals / markings, if that's an issue.

Man, those would be great if could be found cheap. I kept running into the fact of finding something that may work, but at $500-1000 each to purchase to test, it would get expensive quick! The hella projectors I am using can be had for about $50 each, and the materials to make the headlights myself are about $30. So I keep defalting back to having to make them myself for fear of becoming a cool headlight collector. Haha.

For what it's worth we are in agreement with Michael, the winglets look to large and cover up all your work.

I will leave them for now. Once I get near the end of the body work and can roll outside to get a full overall feel of proportions I will decide. I wish my driveway wasn't at a 25 degree slope! Not running and no brakes makes it quite a process to pull in and out if I want to look at it from afar. :shout:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...I wish my driveway wasn't at a 25 degree slope! Not running and no brakes makes it quite a process to pull in and out...

'Ever think about installing a winch (elect. or man.) in the garage somewhere (floor or a solid wall frame if one exists) that you could use for that purpose?

I had that same issue (involving a much lesser "slope"!) regarding our detached garage in the back yard. 'Installed a winch and - presto - no more problem. 'Saved a L-O-T of screwing around.

Scott- Don't change anything keep tapping into that creativity!!!! The work you are doing is outstanding. I'm really looking forward to seeing that car up close and personal.

I think I already have a novel going here. Haha.:thumbsup:
Hey, that's an idea, Scott!

Why not write up the build in a novel? It could be like Dorothy Sayers, "The Documents in the Case"!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Documents-Case-Dorothy-L-Sayers-ebook/dp/B004GKMTWC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457631831&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Documents++in+the+Case"]The Documents in the Case - Kindle edition by Dorothy L Sayers. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.[/ame]

We others can form the snarky Greek chorus.

You could use the income from the book to fund your build!

It would be great!

Keith

Since everyone's at it, I might as well chuck my 2C's worth in too. I think the 'winglets' as shown now are directly proportional to the general modular size of the front end components. If you reduced them in size/length (not withstanding the possible aero differences) they may appear to be as simply 'support structures' for the wings and cease to appear integrated with the overall aero package. You might reduce them by a couple of inches in depth but what would be the point?

Liking the Fiat headlamps...Pity you couldn't proceed with your original design though, it just kind of.... fits!

What about NSX headlights from an 04+
HEADLAMP ASSY | Genuine Acura | 33101-SL0-A04
Similar to the Fiats, and available in the US, only problem is that they cost just as much.

3000GT headlights might work, and are really cheap, but probably arent as flat as the NSX
1994 1999 Mitsubishi 3000gt Headlight Assembly Driver 94 99 Clean | eBay

Aftermarket C5 Lights look close as well
http://www.nopi.com/dsp_part_detail_16.php?vinvid=297308&vt=n&vmakeid=0&vinvid=297308

RX-7 Aftermarket headlight buckets too
http://thmotorsports.com/i-2010428....WYbkhmhDav1nlgRmWSgw421FubR-WiCJeuBoCMKnw_wcB

With any of these you will still need a separate set of turn signals (same as with the FIAT)

Last edited:
What about NSX headlights from an 04+
HEADLAMP ASSY | Genuine Acura | 33101-SL0-A04
Similar to the Fiats, and available in the US, only problem is that they cost just as much.

3000GT headlights might work, and are really cheap, but probably arent as flat as the NSX
1994 1999 Mitsubishi 3000gt Headlight Assembly Driver 94 99 Clean | eBay

Aftermarket C5 Lights look close as well
SPEC-D Custom Headlights |

RX-7 Aftermarket headlight buckets too
Carbon Creations Carbon Creations C-2 Headlight Housings (Driver Side); Does Not Include Plastic Covers MAZDA RX-7

With any of these you will still need a separate set of turn signals (same as with the FIAT)

Thanks John for the time you spent to post those. I have already gone through that selection and it just wasn't worth the money to buy any of them, just to find out they wouldn't work. It would add up very quick.

'Ever think about installing a winch (elect. or man.) in the garage somewhere (floor or a solid wall frame if one exists) that you could use for that purpose?

I had that same issue (involving a much lesser "slope"!) regarding our detached garage in the back yard. 'Installed a winch and - presto - no more problem. 'Saved a L-O-T of screwing around.

I've got a driveable winch Larry!

I pulled that into garage, and winched it up with that. It would be a big event to pull it out and back in now. Hours, since the garage has so many parts in it now. Haha
On a side note, I designed and built and painted the roll cage and roof, and the custom doors too. lots of other mods to it too.

Hey, that's an idea, Scott!

Why not write up the build in a novel? It could be like Dorothy Sayers, "The Documents in the Case"!

The Documents in the Case - Kindle edition by Dorothy L Sayers. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

We others can form the snarky Greek chorus.

You could use the income from the book to fund your build!

It would be great!

It's gonna get longer too! Lol. I still feel like I am only scratching the surface on it so far. Ton's more to do. Everything is in light mock up. All needs to be pulled apart and finishes done. Ugh.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I've got a driveable winch Larry!

Ya, so I see...but, there's a bit of screwing around involved employing it...whereas a static mounted winch is always right in position ready to go whenever it's needed. No fuss no muss! ;)

Besides, I can't 'envision' how you get the ATV back out of the garage once you've used it to pull the SL-C IN...or is the chassis at the rear of the SL-C 'stout' enough to allow you to push the car inside with the ATV? :huh:

(Obviously, backing the car out of the garage should be no big deal 'no matter what'. Gravity is always ready to get that job done for ya!)

(Edit) I just took a look-see at prior posts and NOW notice the garage appears to be 'two cars' wide...thereby allowing a 'way out' for the ATV once all the items stored along one side of the car or the other are removed/relocated.) 'Waaaaaaaay too much hassle/work/effort involved in doing all that for an ole goat like me!!!)

Last edited:

Attachments

• olsson7600.jpg
    olsson7600.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 328
  • l_2592_1936_550209B8-E158-4356-A93D-F1CF5483CDB6.jpeg
    l_2592_1936_550209B8-E158-4356-A93D-F1CF5483CDB6.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 347
  • Jon_Olsson_Ultima_04.jpg
    Jon_Olsson_Ultima_04.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 346
  • Jon_Olsson_Ultima_03.jpg
    Jon_Olsson_Ultima_03.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 5029866961_f3d957726e_o.jpg
    5029866961_f3d957726e_o.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 281

Keith

More inspiration from another members work here on the forum!

Headlights and very reduced size winglets....aerofoils even... :)

Scott,
If you need some inspiration for the headlights, take a look at what John Olsson did with an Ultima GTR (Obviously on a much higher almost unlimited budget)

his most recent project the Rebellion is also a GTR and here is a link:
Official: Rebellion R2k by Jon Olsson - GTspirit

Crap, mine looks generally the same. Ugh. I had not seen front pics of that car until the ones you posted. Atleast I am on the right path, haha.
The prob with the headlights I am having, is that the angle of the front of the fenders, does not have much slope. Looks like he bubbled the lens covers to get them a little higher and offset some of his shallow slope. I am trying to keep mine smooth with the bodyline.

More inspiration from another members work here on the forum!

Headlights and very reduced size winglets....aerofoils even... :)

Is this the new Aero? Definately looks wicked. I am guessing there is a control arm running through that upper foil to streamline it.
Wish the SLC chassis would have allowed for as effective of air channeling as this. Effectively reduces frontal area.

Back