Scotts build thread

Looking really nice Scott. Too bad you have to rework the headlight area, but I'm sure you will enjoy the process. The tail treatment will still be there when you finish the front and you can percolate your ideas for it while you finish the front.

Thanks Ken. Ya, bummer to start again on it. I did really like the current arrangement. Headlights are a huge styling point of any car, having to do again I run the chance of it looking like crap. Lol.
Luckily I have you guys who can chime in if it looks like chit. Haha

Here is another headlight contender. Looks like Hella makes yet again, a different version. 90mm bi-zenon hi/low projector. It is bigger at 3.5" than the 60mm, but only needing 2 instead of 4, is safer design wise.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-009998021-Bi-Halogen-Headlamp-Module/dp/B0030YWKYW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41DjJgLbGbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0M4SWY8KEKP0DVG1FVPD#Ask[/ame]

Yup, it popped up many times. Almost nothing on that entire site is dot approved though. Only a few of the 7" round headlights. When they call it a fog light, it does not have the cut off line and could not be used as a headlight. Legally.

Soryy....
They are Led 90mm by JW SPEAKER. Dot high and low beam with daytime running option

LED Headlights – Model 90

http://http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/bus-led-headlights-model-90/

I have the JW Speaker 90mm LED low beam module in my car (and the 60mm Hella projectors for the high beam, with a 9005 LED bulb) and really like both of them. Lots of light, and a well-defined, very sharp cutoff on the low beam. The 90mm LED low beam module also has a distinctive reflector design that is clearly optimized for the LEDs in the module.

Like the Hella 90mm modules, one of the 4 ears has to be amputated to fit, but they are a direct swap for the original Hella modules- just the wiring connector needs to be changed.

Ya, those JW Speaker ones are nice. But, during this testing and building faze, I can't justify buying the really expensive lights only to get them, and find out they won't work with the design I want.
On a production level, if I did build it specifically for the JW or other high end dot light, not all would want to have $1000+ of the cost of the front to go directly to just headlights. Best to leave that open for end user.
I have tested the 60mm Hella's though with a 6000k 55w hid bulb and ballast. It is retarded!! I could literally almost make out the Mars rover it is sooo bright. Plan to run a 3000k bulb in the high beam, which will be a touch more yellow.

After a week now of planning the new lights, I had a vision last night of the perfect set up, only to run to garage and find out yet again, it will not work and have center of beam at 22". I may have to settle around 20", which is where I believe they started out at.

Soryy....
They are Led 90mm by JW SPEAKER. Dot high and low beam with daytime running option

LED Headlights – Model 90

http://http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/bus-led-headlights-model-90/

Just out of curiousity, since these popped up during my search of bus headlights. Is there a full 12v option on them? Have you tested light output?
I was originally looking for led options, but kept running into lots of people not being happy with the light output of the led.

Just out of curiousity, since these popped up during my search of bus headlights. Is there a full 12v option on them? Have you tested light output?
I was originally looking for led options, but kept running into lots of people not being happy with the light output of the led.

They look pretty good to me. They are used in buses and OTR trucks, so they have to have a decent output and pattern. I'm happy with mine. I don't k now what the output is (1950 lumens?) but they seem bright on my car, and on buses behind me.

These aren't a halogen housing with aftermarket LED bulbs- they are designed from the beginning with LED-specific optics, so they are optimized for the LEDs. They are a module, and don't have replaceable bulbs like the old halogens or HIDs.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Good. Ya, they are a really cool looking light. Wish they made them in a 60mm or smaller.

I 'dunna' CARE about the headlights! I 'wanna' see what 'you be gunna do'
with the REAR OF THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

Uh...ahummm...I'm fine now...sorta...kinda...more or less...;)

The first cut is always the hardest, again. Oh well.

Design test 1. Easiest design that would use same size lens. Projectors up as high and as far back as can go before it has to stick higher than the bodywork. Not a bad look, but I can't help but to think they should stack. Also, would like lens to go a little higher.

It hadn't occurred to me, I have not seen the car from a distance at all. Normally my truck is parked right in front of it, or garage is shut. So, I snapped a few tonight. Gives a really good perspective of it. If I saw this coming up from behind me, I would give it my gf and my wallet!!

Keith

I wasn't sold on this design front end but in the final analysis, the "winglets" make it work visually, and it now looks very good. Do you plane to correlate the aero on the front end in some way Scott, or will it be seat-of-the-pants stuff?

I wasn't sold on this design front end but in the final analysis, the "winglets" make it work visually, and it now looks very good. Do you plane to correlate the aero on the front end in some way Scott, or will it be seat-of-the-pants stuff?

Thanks Keith. Ya, the winglets are the finishing touch in my opinion also, and probably the most significant aero piece to the entire new design. In person it is pretty awe inspiring. To see driving down the highway I think will be hilarious. :laugh:
It still is kind of a calico cat being in different sheens of black and not buttoned up completely. Devil is in the details.
I am not sure I understood your last question though.

Back