Scotts build thread

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Looking good Scott. Question; the first photo appears to show some asymmetry above and behind the rear wheel arches. Is that simply a photo distortion?

Looking good Scott. Question; the first photo appears to show some asymmetry above and behind the rear wheel arches. Is that simply a photo distortion?

All that is, is when I painted it black, I just painted it crooked or different side to side. They are perfectly level and plane perfectly together. At least close enough for this stage.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Scott I did some homework on the wheel hubs that come with our cars. The C5 Corvette rear hubs may look very similar to our C4 rear hubs but they use different splined stub shafts. The C5 hub is 30 spline and the C4 is 27 spline. Even if you did upgrade to 30 spline stub shafts you wouldn't be able to bolt the C5 hub on to the rear upright with the three mounting bolts. The bolt circle pattern for the three bolts is slightly different. The C4 is 4.75" while the C5 is 4.57". So unfortunately we are stuck with using C4 wheel hubs in the rear.

Thanks for checking that Ken. I was following that in the other thread. If it is just those two things, it might be easy enough to accomodate it. Sure would make for a nice clean install if so. I will look once i get back to that stuff and figure if it is worth it or not.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Thanks for checking that Ken. I was following that in the other thread. If it is just those two things, it might be easy enough to accomodate it. Sure would make for a nice clean install if so. I will look once i get back to that stuff and figure if it is worth it or not.

The 30 spline stubshafts made for lobro porsche cv joints are about $800. :lipsrsealed:

There are two other differences .......the first being the rear wheel will move outboard about .200" and second the upright hub pilot hole will need to be machined slightly larger (.020).

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Ken,

McKenzie's off-road products uses the C4 pattern and pilot hole in their micro-stub applications, and are reasonably priced (I use the 930/28 spline set-up). Also, I believe the S10 hubs, which can be found aftermarket in a variety of spline count, is also a C4 pattern, but I've never had one in my hand to verify that.

Last edited:
Had to do the rear in 2 different parts, plus the original clam. Cut back off with specific reference points to put everything back together correctly.
For the rear face, I used epoxy resin mixed with a lot of microspheres and short chopped fg and made consistency of paste. Just painted two layers on directly over the painted polystyrene. Lots of finish work to go, but good chance to have back on car by end of week.

I don't Ken. Mixing the microspheres in and lots of glass fiber though, you can create the same consistency and paint it on with a brush though. Never tried it before. Saved huge amounts of detail time glassing up the very rear panel.

I have been loving the Biturbo 6.0 V12 in the SL65 soooo much, I couldn't help but to think how insane it would be in the SLC. So, started checking into it.
Used lower mile motor with turbos= $4500 (less than what the cost to build my 1UZ to what I want it to)
Kennedy says they see no problem in doing it.
Motec can run it. Same cost for either the 1uz or the M275, and one of my friends is one of the best Motec tuners in the world.
They are relatively compact. The 600 non AMG cars had 5.5l V12's, but correct tuning and better exhaust/intake tracts over the AMG production cars is worth tons of power.
So, a V12 sound, 750hp and 900ftlbs and it isn't even breathing hard. Trying to find weight differences, but I doubt it to be grossly over a comparable twin turbo LS.

So, we get to the clutch. The best Kennedy can do is something to hold about 750ftlbs. I have no idea how a Tilton or Quartermaster 7.25" multi disks will do with engagement with that much torque. I do have a lightly used triple disk Tilton with cf disks though (albeit wrong splines). I think the clutch choices will kill this idea. Alot of fab, money, and planning could go to the wind if I can't source a streetable clutch.

So, someone talk me out of this. Or, talk me further into it. Haha.

I have been loving the Biturbo 6.0 V12 in the SL65 soooo much, I couldn't help but to think how insane it would be in the SLC. So, started checking into it.
Used lower mile motor with turbos= $4500 (less than what the cost to build my 1UZ to what I want it to)
Kennedy says they see no problem in doing it.
Motec can run it. Same cost for either the 1uz or the M275, and one of my friends is one of the best Motec tuners in the world.
They are relatively compact. The 600 non AMG cars had 5.5l V12's, but correct tuning and better exhaust/intake tracts over the AMG production cars is worth tons of power.
So, a V12 sound, 750hp and 900ftlbs and it isn't even breathing hard. Trying to find weight differences, but I doubt it to be grossly over a comparable twin turbo LS.

So, we get to the clutch. The best Kennedy can do is something to hold about 750ftlbs. I have no idea how a Tilton or Quartermaster 7.25" multi disks will do with engagement with that much torque. I do have a lightly used triple disk Tilton with cf disks though (albeit wrong splines). I think the clutch choices will kill this idea. Alot of fab, money, and planning could go to the wind if I can't source a streetable clutch.

So, someone talk me out of this. Or, talk me further into it. Haha.

Get the clutch figured out so I can follow suit when I build my car some day... that kind of power with that sound... in this car? Where do I sign?

I think the clutch is simply a $ issue. We recently turbo'd our Evora. Makes about 530hp at the crank... My 17yo did all the work including handling things with ClutchMasters. He sent the flywheel and clutch to ClutchMasters. Talk talked with them about what he wanted. Ended up with a FX725. They made a new flywheel (weight to his specs) that fit their clutch with the appropriate splines for the disk. All up about $2k. Took them about 3 days after it was decided what we wanted.

I am sure other smallish companies will provide similar service.

BTW, Not recommending that particular clutch for you use. But I am sure you can get a suitable twin disk to handle what you want.

The Tilton set ups I have driven were with Tilton 7# flywheels. Motor revved like a motorcycle. Best clutch I have driven, that is once you are moving. Can easily hold the power in a triple disk, but I have only driven on sintered metal disks, not cf disks which are supposed to be a little more forgiving. The sintered metal disks with a 7# flywheel left 2 choices when starting. Fry off the tires, or kill it. Very annoying in traffic. Or, if a cop pulls up next to you at the light. Haha
I once spent $3200 on a carbonetics double cf disk! It didn't hold past 500ftlbs! Talk about pissed.

Maybe a combo of a flywheel in the 15# range, and sprung hub cf disks in the tilton triple might work.
Tilton individual disks and frictions are relatively cheap though and every part is replaceable.

Would the V12 fit? I would have thought that it would be too long, but I don't have any numbers.

Would the V12 fit? I would have thought that it would be too long, but I don't have any numbers.

If someone has made a Viper 8.0 V10 fit, the 5.5/6.0 Benz V12 should be shorter. I do know that the motor fits in the same space that the Benz 5.5 V8 fits in. I will get some measurements tomorrow, but it is pretty compact once you strip the plastic cover crap off.

Gotta admit, I am very happy the rear is coming to a close. 80% of the exterior finish work is done. Rear panel is full thickness and strength already, but need to finalize the splice and other portions of the new rear, and add some more layers. Trying to be spraying primer in a couple days.

Back