setting up a cable gear linkage????????????

HELP HELP
anybody got any tips or an old set of instructions for setting up a cable linkage i have a lotus espirt gear lever
with a GT40 kitcar cables and mechanism that fits a renault UN1 TRANSAXLE how do i set it up???its for a rear engined metro(yer i know)

Attachments

• 55721-gearlinkage004(600x450).jpg
    55721-gearlinkage004(600x450).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 909
this is another one this has been the worst part of building this car and has really put my build back a lot as i seemed to have lost heart

Attachments

• 55722-gearlinkage001(600x450).jpg
    55722-gearlinkage001(600x450).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 563
Hi Tony -
re your cable shift - the photos below might help (i hope).

The top picture shows your box with the shift pattern in relation to the cross shaft. That is, if you push the shaft in (i.e. to the right) you move it towards 1&2 and pushing it fully into box, moves it to Reverse but not enagaged at any point.

The shaft is sprung I think to 3/4 so pulling it out, or moving cross shaft to left will move towards 5th, again not engaged.

From any position, rotating the shaft (see lower pic) will actually engage the gears. 1/3/5 are engaged by rotating anti-clockwise and R/2/4 by rotating clockwise. (looking at end of shaft - i.e. as per lower pic)

When Dave set his up on the R42, he put gear lever in N between 3rd and 4th, then adjusted linkages till they connected. Everything just worked! (lucky him)....

One thing I notice though is the short rod that connects to point 'C' is behind the cross-shaft on your set-up, but is in-front of the same shaft on Dave's. This determines whether the shaft moves in or out as you waggle the lever at the front, so if you get it wrong, it will at least affect your shift pattern across the box. His cables do NOT cross over front to rear as I recall.

Finally, moving the pivot point 'C' toward the selector 'turret' (i.e. fitting it to the hole visible nearer the post) will increase the cross movement at rear and hence the gearlever at front will need to be moved less, left or right to cross the box.

Hope I have not made it all as clear as mud....

Let us know how you get on and when you start competing, let us also - I for one would like to see it in action!. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(ps - forgot why I labelled the rods A and B - lets call it 'just in case!')

Attachments

• 55733-GCHANGE.JPG
    55733-GCHANGE.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 601
cheers for all this info i can see the light at the end of the tunnel cheers to BUDD for the pm
i was told to cross over the cables if i mount on the left side of the gearbox in a conventional pattern???? keep the info coming its starting to make sense cheers again top blokes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back