Simple cad software or suite with space frame tutorial, recommendation??

Hi all,

I would like to model my space frame in cad to make sure all is well before cutting any steel. I was hoping to find a very simple cad to use or a cad package that has a tutorial in creating a space frame. Price isn't an issue as I have friends who are students and can even get autocad at a good price. I don't mind a complex package if tutorials are avaiable.
It's not a prerequisite but simple FEA would also be nice as in my state, South Australia the chassis would need to pass a torsional deflection test.

Thanks
Jonesy

Check out Google Sketchup (google it), although it might be too simple for your purposes? It's free and easy to use anyway...

Cheers!

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
To do what you need will require a 3D modelling package, none of them are cheap and none of them are "plug and play"
I can give you a name of a person in SA who can 3D model your frame. it will be far less expensive than you purchasing the 3D software.

A 2D package of which there are many free ones would enable you to do the necessary 2D drawings yourself to then be put into a 3D by someone with a 3D modelling package
3D model is a pre requisite for FEA

Hi,
Price of the package isn't an issue. We get really good reduced student versions or subsidized by out institutions plus if I know what package I want I coukd find a shared version. It's more the learning curve and which is most intuitive or has the largest resource base.
Years ago I found one which was quote reputable and there was a great tutorial for a space frame, based on a helicopter or something, but obviously the same knowledge set needed fir a tube frame chassis I want. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it as I didn't get far due to my pc being to slow.
Cheers

Looks like solid works! I have done some googling and found a few videos and what not which should hopefully get me rolling. There also seems to be a fair bit of info out there and user groups im told.

Back