Size of stacks

Hi,

I have an early GTD which has been completely rebuilt. Mike Sollis of Southern GT has supplied me with a new rear chassis. (great guy, very helpful) I have ordered a Ford 347 with inglese fuel injection 8 stack system from the States. I am a little concerned that the stacks are going to be too high and but up against the Perspex engine cover. Can any one help?

Regards

Martin

Attachments

• ford-347-8-stack.jpg
    ford-347-8-stack.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 318
Martin,
They should be short stacks unless you ordered them with the long runners. Clearance shouldn't be a problem. If it does, see if you can lower the engine a tad so that the bottom of the oil pan is at the frame level. My 351 which is taller had no problem.

Bill

Martin, it probably depens a lot of what gearbox do you have, and in what position it is fitted.
If it is the usual Renault UN1, in usual stock position (i.e. not inverted) clearance could be a problem (it would be on my GTD, with same engine). Maybe the SGT new rear end helps about that, but short stacks are mandatory IMHO, unless you've an inverted gearbox (Renault, porsche, ZF...)

Hi Martin your pulleys and alternator will not fit .The sgt back end will allow you to lower engine and gearbox but will not stop the problems you will have at the front with the set up you have in your picture .The stacks also do look long.
Regards mick.

As Mick says, you will have all sorts of problems, including the very deep looking sump that you will have to change. I take you have already considered the need to strip and rebalance the engine when changing to the smaller V6 flywheel, there a lot more to it than "just" fitting a new engine. If using fuel injection you should ( must ) change the fuel system as well. Good luck !

I have ordered the shorter stacks and no doubt will have to replace the pulleys. Fortunately, I still have the old 302 engine, which I upgraded, which I intend to sell at some point. Putting the bling pulley system on that engine, together with new chrome air filter should give it a bit of extra saleability. Thanks for all of your comments.

Martin

Back