SL-C 002 build Bob DeNyse

In my own experience, downforce cars loose it just like regular cars. Sometimes it is a slow oversteer that can be corrected (or not) and other times it just snaps. It really all depends on the corner, where you are in it, and what you are doing in it. There is no one answer. The cars have more grip to take advantage of but obviously there is a limit, just like with all other cars.

For me, the biggest thing to get used to was the braking. Smashing them down as hard as you can in high-speed entries and having to significantly taper off as the downforce diminishes.

I teach with a group called Hooked on Driving. The student brings their car and we teach them how to drive it on the track as well as basic skills for high performance driving, it includes classroom sessions as well as on the track. I instruct the beginners, intermediate and the instructors. I have been told by the owner of the school I am his lead instructor. I have had students with an Audi R8, a 700Hp Mustang a GT 500 Mustang Mitsubishi Evo and others. I get to drive my car on the track when the instructors get out when I am not instructing an instructor. It is a lot of fun and so far I have not been hurt but almost got into the wall with a guy with a BMW, he got too wide dropped tires on the left, car went sideways at 120mph and thought we were going into the wall, I told him hit the brakes thought it was going to hook when it went sideways the other way, he just held the wheel and took both feet off the pedals, the car actually corrected itself which I was totally amazed. It was close.

Back