SL-C color

well, looks like car should be here in about a week, but can't help trying to come up with a plan for it. One of those things is paint color. I have a thing for blue (any type), but I have sprayed nearly ever color blue on previous projects and looks like most tones of blue have already been taken by others on the SLC.
Now, just throwing this out there, and I rarely ever ask for advice on a color, but this one is abit off the wall. I was going through my paint cans of projects past and forgot I have enough PPG Harlequin blue to red to do the whole car. In some ways I think the harlequin is just too much for a full paint job and best for graphics, but the SLC may just be able to pull it off. Main problem I am running into is what interior color to do to match it or accent it. Oh well, first things first.
About the only credible pic I could find of the color was on a P1 and it looks pretty good to me.
Opinions?

th

btw- I was probably going to have some 3 pc wheels made (just to be different) and was thinking gold anodized centers with black barrels. Also, gold anodizing lots of other bits around engine and suspension. The color combo would be very similar to the P1 pic above.

Yes I believe a SLC could pull that off so if you like it go for it. I will say the rest of the build better be able to back up that custom paint

There are plenty of unused blues for the SLC. Here are a couple I considered for my car:

Audi Sepang blue
Audi Nogaro blue pearl effect
Porsche Mexico Blue
Ford Grabber Blue (similar but not the same as the similarly named gelcoat)
Bentley Azure blue
Bentley Blue Train (and many others for this marque)
BMW Laguna Seca Blue

Etc.

For the record, mine is Porsche Riviera blue, a color which doesn't photograph consistently, and should be seen on the car, in different light conditions.

There are plenty of unused blues for the SLC. Here are a couple I considered for my car:

Audi Sepang blue
Audi Nogaro blue pearl effect
Porsche Mexico Blue
Ford Grabber Blue (similar but not the same as the similarly named gelcoat)
Bentley Azure blue
Bentley Blue Train (and many others for this marque)
BMW Laguna Seca Blue

Etc.

For the record, mine is Porsche Riviera blue, a color which doesn't photograph consistently, and should be seen on the car, in different light conditions.

I typically just catagorize in light, dark, pearl/metal flake, or solid tone for blue. So it would be hard based on a picture to distinguish some of those blues from others. You are right, they can change in pictures.
One of my last projects was a highly modified SL55 AMG widebody. It was Toyota Voodoo Blue. Sometimes it would look even lighter than Grabber blue in sun, then a darker blue in shade. Luckily, it was the only blue SL55 at all though, so it never got mixed up as to which car it was or build quality.

One of my favorites is Cloisonne blue from the Grand Sport Corvettes in the mid 90's. Very pretty color and been about 12 years since I sprayed it last.

One color I havn't attempted is a perrywinkle tone (ya, I just have to be different, lol) and found a pic of this Gumpert Apollo in it. I do really like the solid tones for ease of tough up and panel matching, but, you get it buffed out perfectly and it can look a mile deep, which pearls cannot since you can see the actual depth.

gumpert_apollo_24.jpg

While the color looks incredible on this Gumpert, it is hard to separate that the impressiveness is based on the quality and eye of the photographer and the surrounding colors, or the actual color of the car. Hard to imagine what it would look like in a normal setting on the street. The last thing I want to be known for is "the guy with the alternatively colored SLC [if you catch my drift, haha]).
Alas, cars with this type of styling can get away with alot more off the wall colors though.

Proof that even Ferrari owners take that color thing too far. LOL

But then again you can always flip through the Porsche paint codes for some of the bravest colors to be put on production cars:
chartreuse

Attachments

• feeca11e943c2c59937b6d839c839533.jpg
    feeca11e943c2c59937b6d839c839533.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 316
Ya, I wouldn't consider Plastidip. Luckily I do all my own paint work, so the material cost is pretty cheap when I want to change colors.
One reason I am considering the harlequin is just the simple fact I have enough to do the car already. 6oz bottle of it is nearly $500! Already have all the primers and clear too. :) Even if I end up not doing it, base colors are cheap!

A long time ago Standox came out with a gold metallic base coat that had real gold in it. The cost was 80 dollars a quart. Remembering then other colors were 17 dollars per or such. Now 80 per quart is cheap paint.

I'm only plasti dipping my car over the body work and gel coat (doing myself). As everyone has said, I wouldn't dip over a clear coated car. By the time I'm done, I'll need to save up for a decent paint job and this way I can consider other color combinations.

Interested to see how the harlequin looks...but I agree the SLC should be able to pull that off.

Last edited:
A long time ago Standox came out with a gold metallic base coat that had real gold in it. The cost was 80 dollars a quart. Remembering then other colors were 17 dollars per or such. Now 80 per quart is cheap paint.

Ya Rob, $80 per quart is a decent brand of solid color now. Pearls and metallics higher, and names like PPG are north of that. This dang Harlequin is up to $80 an oz. now! Doubled in 5 years time.
I have 6oz, which will be 12oz sprayable. You shoot it over black so it really does go a long ways. Right up to the point you have to do a panel blend. :shifty:
I am still considering black. I have some large black metal flake I have been wanting to try over black. Might have a starry night kind of look.

I say do it, if you hate it then you can just paint over it and that is easy as the bodywork is all done.

I got a check panel painted from a friend of a friend at Caterham F1 and when I got the paint code made from it it had a lot of silver and gold pearl it. Cost $350 for a qt and made 1/2 gallon to spray so I was careful when doing it. It came out really great and what I will paint the SLC in, but I would be needing more for the SLC as it is a pretty big car to paint with door jams and all.

Back