SL-C recommended engine/transaxle combos

1. Any LS engine with Ricardo or G50
2. Any LS engine with 930LSD
3. Toyota/Lexus V-8 with Audi 016
4. Audi/Audi

My opinion only. Many others will fit... My car has modified LS-1 with 930LSD
building begun two weeks ago..SUPERB!

Thanks for the fast response...
Congrats on your build, I know you must be grinning ear to ear!

Has the Mendeola transaxle been grafted to the Sl-C yet????

Mendeola has been matched in some sand rails as i hear it.

IMHO the antiquated cam in block 2 valve LS may be the best single engine in the world. No way you can match its small package, light weight, high modibility, high reliability, and good gas milage.

It is not a mystery that people are starting to drop these into every able chassis out there. RX-7s for some time. But now there are a number going into BMW's and Porsches. The LS weighs less then the BMW 6, is smaller, and makes gobs more power.

That said the best thing about the SL-c is that Fran engineered the idea that you can make this car a personal choice. If you want the wail of a wankel, or the high rpm of afore mentioned audi, lexus engines, or the outrageous HP of a turbo 2jz, you simply need to make an adapter.

LS7 < 400 pounds (mine is 360 with stack)
Ricardo is 205.
The LS to the Mendeola would be the best. BUT, the M is still virtual, the Ric is reality.

I like the G50 option over the Mendiola option, at least at this point. I am however hopeful that Mendy will get their new creation out to the public and that it will work well.

However at $12K for the mendy and in excess of $14-16K for the Ric box I think that the Porsche gearboxes offer a very viable alternative depending on the HP that you intend.

I am putting together a new option for everyone in the next couple of days, I just want to touch base with Fran on it first to make sure that it is going to be possible. It would essentially offer a Brand New gearbox at pricing of a good G50 currently. I am pretty excited about it but as I said I have a few details to work out first.

Just my .02 cents on this, let me know if I can help at all.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Erik,

Perhaps you could give us an update on the Cayman transaxle project as well as the rumor that the Mendeola is now in production?

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Turbocharged 4 rotor mated to a Ricardo transaxle. ;)

Pros:
- Loud & enjoyable
- High reving
- Light weight
- Gobs of power
- Unique
- Low center of gravity

Cons:
- Loud & obnoxious
- Unique (see expensive and hard to find parts for)
- Expensive to build ($18k+ for the engine alone)

But for my money, that's what I'd do. The sound in and of itself would make any car nut go crazy. I need to sell some damn property and make this happen!!

Laters,

Brian

The combo in my RCR40 is LS7, Kinsler stack and Quaife ZF-Q. The ZF-Q weighs approx 150lbs so will keep the polar moment of inertia low with benefits to handling.

Best

John

Hi John,

What are the gear ratios used in your ZF-Q??

Out of curiosity, what kind of MPG are you getting with your combo??

Do you have a build site??

Thanks in advance!!

Hi John,

What are the gear ratios used in your ZF-Q??

Out of curiosity, what kind of MPG are you getting with your combo??

Do you have a build site??

Thanks in advance!!

No questions about MPG in any discussions of SLCs or GT40s please! (I have heard high 20s is pretty common with the 40s).

I have a similar setup to John, but I am using the Ricardo. In the GT40, it is a real pain to squeeze it in. The SLC is more modular, but Fran will tell you an LS motor mated to the Ricardo was a primary design consideration. I would have to have a good reason to go to another box. Yes, it is 50 pounds heavier, but it is bullet proof and has wonderful tall ratios combined with a very slick shifter.

Best,
-J.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
A Porsche Boxster or Cayman drivetrain will also drop right in....
Dont forget that smaller 4 and 6 cylinder packages would make for a real light weight rocket ...especially with a TURBO...

With turbo setups, what is best configuration for radiator(s), intercooler(s), oil and trans coolers, and intake air? Intercoolers in the side intakes like you did with the 1UZ, or someplace else? How big can easily fit?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Engine oil coolers can be plumbed and mounted up front..plenty of room and air..

I have a trans cooler on my Ricardo mounted in the tail infront of the rear diffuser.

Side mounted intercoolers are a natural fit and there is much more room there than there appears from the outside....almost enough room to run the engine radiator

if I can ever get the time and money together,,,,my plan is to use a complete drivetrain from a
Subaru WRX.

pluses=
one single donor car to get it all from,,keeping costs reasonable,

low center of gravity,

good selection av ailable of perf parts

makes decent HP in stock trim too

.....of course, my goal is to have a track day car as light as possible.
So I do not want a glass windscreen or any creature comforts.

My goal is a two seater track day car that is light and quick, without braking the bank. Of course, it is getting hard to resist the temptation of a local guy who has an old Toyota WSC car for less than 8k for sale! Only downside is, they only sit one person,,,and I want the oppurtunity to sit my wife in the pass seat & scare the poo out of her. :D

Turbocharged 4 rotor mated to a Ricardo transaxle. ;)

Cons:
- Loud & obnoxious
Dear Brian: if you turbocompound the engine, I would expect that it would be much quieter since much of the spare kinetic energy would be recaptured and sent to the wheels.

- Expensive to build ($18k+ for the engine alone)

Maybe not. Mr. Paul Lamar (Aviation Rotary Engine Newsletter) says that a 4-rotor like the 1991 LeMans winner could be built for around $15 thousand. And, people drop much more than that on their V-8 reciprosaurs every day. So really it's not all that expensive.

If you turbocompound a two-rotor, you would still get something very potent, and even lighter! :)

Bassanio et Portia :)

Back