SL-C seat alternatives

Roberto, I wish you hadn't showed me your seats, I can't get them out of my head.
I found a different web site it gave the proper dimensions on your seats, I called a company in California and spoke to a Gentlemen about them, he gave me a education about seats. They should work

The Cobra web site is showing them as 520mm wide at the base. Is the MKIV wider then? It is my understanding that the MK1 GT40 replicas come in around 485mm to work with so I don't see how these would work unless the MKIV is wider.

There is another thread here that I started about a seating option. It's for the Corbeau A4 which would need to be modified slightly by having the bolsters bent or removed all together to get below the 485mm mark.

IF enough people here showed interest, the salesman I conversed with said they could do this work and offer a new line. The seats are under $400 each BTW and to me, look just as nice: Corbeau: A4

Here are my Cobra Misanos. I'm not sure if they are going to ultimately fit, but it seems they will have a chance. Otherwise, it will have been an expensive science project.

photobucket-1120-1337861227368.jpg

Have you tested it with the body & door on? That doesn't look like it will fit to me?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Not to muddy the waters but other aspects of aftermarkets seats that should be considered is the length and height of the seat cushion. I purchased Cobra seats and the seat cushion is significantly longer and slightly taller than the stock seats. This "may" be an issue under the steering wheel. I don't see it being an issue on the passenger side. There isn't a whole lot of vertical legroom there to begin with so if your chosen seat raises your thighs too high or extends too far under the steering wheel you may run into issues.

Has anyone actually installed aftermarket seats in a semi-finished or finished car?

Dave L

From your measurements, it looks like height is the biggest issue. There might be a couple of seats from Bride that fit but they're not cheap.

Yes.
The one thing for sure an articulating seat does is keep the rake and the thigh height separate. The more you recline a one piece seat the more the thigh - steering wheel clearance question becomes a concern. The bottom pad thickness will also come into play and anything more than 2 inches from the floor quickly starts to effect headroom. I use Recaro in my car but they required shortening and reshaping of the headrest area to allow clearance. The biggest challenge will be seat back height, I strongly recommend sitting in the seat you like before you buy, as some body shapes just don't work in some seats no matter how cool they look or how well they fit the car.

Last edited:
Re the Corbeau A4s, I tried them in my car and the seat bottoms were way too high for me (a 6' driver).

IIRC, they were also a bit wide up top, which is where almost all other seats have issues- the shoulder wings tend to hit the doors, especially if the optional door cards are fitted.

I think the narrowest seats may be the Tillets, both at the seat bottoms, and certainly at the shoulders.

Have you tested it with the body & door on? That doesn't look like it will fit to me?

Not yet. My car is with me and my body is in a different state. The seats aren't mounted in the pic. Just mocked up. I may put them in another car I have and not even go through the exercise of trying to shoehorn them in.

They are beautiful though and may be the most comfortable seat I've sat in.

Back