So I went to a car meet and I see...

Lucas,
The SL-C can be had (standard) with dropped floorpans. I believe a wider seat option is also available.

Why would a person want/need a dropped floorpan. . . because of their height? Does this impact overall "ground clearance? And by "standard", does that mean that this is the standard/normal configuration now?

Ruth, I believe the "standard" is now with dropped floors, unless otherwise requested.
It will lower the seat mounting and make ingress/egress just a little easier too. Basically for additional headroom, although most people won't need it.
Chime in anyone...

Also, although I don't know if this would help, but didn't Fran do a McLaren F1-style center seat SLC? Is that an option for future buyers?

I was wondering when that was going to be brought up again, I wonder how it is progressing, the changes in dimensions and the required mods.

The 3 seater was a one off for a guy in California,,,nothing to do with the SL-C at all...longer, wider, wider wheels...

NO idea how its coming along...

All SL-C chassis have dropped floor seating areas but its not below the lower line of the body so it does not create any issues with ground clearance at all...6'5" tall guys fit no problem.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The 3 seater was a one off for a guy in California,,,nothing to do with the SL-C at all.

Oh, sorry I missed that... or I should say, I'm sorry that's true.

But since we're here... what would be involved in building a center-seat SLC? (never mind the passenger(s) for the moment)? I don't have the architecture in my mind's eye but I know there is a vertical post at the center of the dash; and I assume people run plumbing down the middle; but are those things that could be moved laterally or split without sacrificing structural considerations?

There is nothing that runs through the center spine of the chassis...all coolant and AC runs either side of the cockpit.

The center spine and footbox structure of the chassis is important to the design in its current format.
The three seater had a completely different internal structure that could not be used inside the confines of the current SL-C chassis/body package.

As I mentioned the 3 seater was longer and wider and there were no body confines as the customers guys are making a one off special for him...he is a big Italian car collector so he is probably doing something pretty swoopy...

Hey Lucas its Bob, my last name is DeNyse. I do remember talking to you. That event was a Butler tire show, it was announced on the radio and I decided to take it over to show. Boy what a reception the car had. I did buy the first set of tires from Butler Tires and they remembered the car. I do enjoy talking about the car since it is really a cool car but no one knows about it. I have the mack daddy of investments in mine I have gone all out and have over 125,000 in mine. yes you can build the car for as little as you can get by with but I wanted to make this car the best, and I have really invested into it. Like Lucas said it really sounds good and runs big time. I would love to see the 3 seater Fran when you get it done. Also I am about to get my car where I think it will drive across the country without a problem, but it has taken a lot of work to get it there. The last thing I am going to do is an interior which I will be talking to Fran about soon. My wife has complained the interior is all black with no leather etc, so I told her thats fine I will fix it but now it was built for speed not looks. It is surprising Ernie is still in business, it is too bad for his customers if he does the same quality work for them that he did no my car. Lucas come see the car now we have done a lot to it since you saw it last.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Also, although I don't know if this would help, but didn't Fran do a McLaren F1-style center seat SLC? Is that an option for future buyers?

I have frequently mentioned my opinion that a center-steering option would be desirable....not sure if Fran did a one-off or not, if so I don't recall reading about if...seems like I would have remembered it since I think the idea is so great.

If I am wrong, I hope someone will post up a link to the thread, I would really like to see it!

Cheers!

Doug

I have frequently mentioned my opinion that a center-steering option would be desirable
Agreed. A true McLaren F1 style, i.e. centre driver's seat with two passenger seats angled inboard behind it, would be ideal for me.

I suspect that you could, without too many modifications / compromises (but typically it'll be more complicated), have a centre driver's seat in the SLC, but adult passenger seats wouldn't fit.

It'd be great to see a future Superlite with a 3 seat layout (but not 3 across a la Matra).

Howard Jones

Supporter
I'll tell what I'll do Lucas, You buy a SLC and I'll give you FREE (you pay for shipping) a big mans seat. It's 2 inches wider than the standard one. How's that for a welcome to the SLC community!

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'll tell what I'll do Lucas, You buy a SLC and I'll give you FREE (you pay for shipping) a big mans seat. It's 2 inches wider than the standard one. How's that for a welcome to the SLC community!

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Jones I may have to take you up on that. I'm currently in the process of joining Army OCS so I think my SLC dreams will have to wait until I'm a commissioned 2LT before I take that big jump. Maybe an SLC will be a gift to myself when I graduate ;-) I'll definitely take you up on that offer on that when I pony up the cash for one!

Back