So I went to a car meet and I see...

An SLC at Butler Tire here in Atlanta. Guy buy the name of Bob (insert last name I forgot here). Was a pretty cool dude though. Knew a lot about the car and spoke glowingly of both Fran and the car. Seeing the SLC in person does this car much more justice than any photo can replicate. I knew the cars stance was low and wide, but I didn't know how low (2 inches off the ground I guestimate) and wide (about as much as I am tall 6'0") it actually is. Bob was cool enough to let me sit in 'er and I definitely see why a quick release steering wheel is necessary. There's definitely no "pretty" way of getting in that beast of a machine, but I guess with due time my fall in technique would improve.

The show had a variety of cars from a Ferrari 458, Bentley GT Coupe, Corvette ZR1+206, Dodge Challenger and Charger, Camaro ZL1, etc... Outside of the 458 and ZR1, the SLC had top viewing. Mainly the common questions of "What is that? Is it a McLaren? What year is it?" All of which Bob was eager to answer. Apparently it was the second SLC Fran made or sold (Bob bought it second hand from an owner in Palm Beach if my memory serves me correctly). LS7 set up with the works and it sure as hell sounded like it too :laugh: One again guys and gals you have to see this vehicle in person.

Only thing that would keep me away from making the purchase now is my disposable income (don't have 90k laying around yet) and possibly not being able to fit comfortably. I'm 6'0 223lbs during my off season and 195lbs when I do fitness competitions and shows. I found that my shoulders had a very tough time fitting in those seats. Probably something Fran could easily address though (I hope). Well here's a few pics from the show. Taken with my EVO so excuse the poor quality.

Lucas

Attachments

• IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 675
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 673
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 599
  • IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 594
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 556
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 519
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 527
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 485
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 431
  • IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 412
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 424
I must agree... Fran did a great job in designing this car... i'd love to see one in person myself... so what do you think Fran's next car should be?? richard

Lucas,
Nice to see some other fans in the Atlanta area. Which show did you go to when you saw the SLC? I follow the Georgia Events, Car Auctions, Swap Meets, Motorcycle Shows, Event listings and Coverage
and Car Show News - Georgia Car Show Schedule and go to several in the area. Butler Bros. wasn't on those. I went to school with one of the brothers back in the late 60s and I have been meaning to get back in touch with him as he does the big shows at the Omni like The World of Wheels. I am trying like mad to finish my GT 40. It seems every time I get near to driving it something goes wrong or breaks. If you are interested in the 40s, you are welcome to drop by and see the progress.
Did you get Bob's contact info. It would be nice to get some of the cars in the area together.

Bill

Doc
Breathless has 'breath', Breathless Performance Online Store (Powered by CubeCart) . Ernie still has some pictures on his site of this car. Looks pretty much the same as these pictures.

Lucas
The car is built by the buyer, so you can intall any seat that you fit in. As long as the seat fits in the car. Many builders are installing seats of their preference in place of the stock offerings.

Lucas,
Nice to see some other fans in the Atlanta area. Which show did you go to when you saw the SLC? I follow the Georgia Events, Car Auctions, Swap Meets, Motorcycle Shows, Event listings and Coverage
and Car Show News - Georgia Car Show Schedule and go to several in the area. Butler Bros. wasn't on those. I went to school with one of the brothers back in the late 60s and I have been meaning to get back in touch with him as he does the big shows at the Omni like The World of Wheels. I am trying like mad to finish my GT 40. It seems every time I get near to driving it something goes wrong or breaks. If you are interested in the 40s, you are welcome to drop by and see the progress.
Did you get Bob's contact info. It would be nice to get some of the cars in the area together.

Bill

Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to get Bob's number (phone died while taking pictures), but I did give him my business card so hopefully he doesn't forget about me. From our short conversation, he's had a few dealings with Fran so if he'd like to give him a holler and invite him on the forum so we can all enjoy his work. As far as the meet was concerned, I don't think there was too much publication about it. The majority of cars there were prior Butler customers, so it most likely a word of mouth event. That's how I actually ended up hearing about it. I live in Marietta and, as you probably already know, they have a shop off Powers Ferry road. So it was a short trip down the road from the gym after I got the phone call. Funny to see how small the world is though :)

I'd love to see your GT 40 though. Have always had a fondness for 'em after I ended up seeing mainly the rear end of one while I was riding up I85 (another story for another day). About how far along are you? Rolling Chassis? First start? Almost drivable?

I must agree... Fran did a great job in designing this car... i'd love to see one in person myself... so what do you think Fran's next car should be?? richard

I think it may be blasphemous seeing as though Fran's company is Race Car Replicas, but I'd like to see a more streetable vehicle for his next vehicle. Building a spec racecar is a daunting task by itself. Building a spec racecar that you won't mind doing a cross country trip in (A la the 458: plenty of interior space and creature comforts). If anyone in the kit car market could do it, I'm sure Fran could pull it off. Gen 2 SLC maybe ;)

Doc
Breathless has 'breath', Breathless Performance Online Store (Powered by CubeCart) . Ernie still has some pictures on his site of this car. Looks pretty much the same as these pictures.

Lucas
The car is built by the buyer, so you can intall any seat that you fit in. As long as the seat fits in the car. Many builders are installing seats of their preference in place of the stock offerings.

Thanks for the info Mesa. I was just concerned that I'd have to do some major customization like dropping the floorpan or some other highly technical modification. I don't have welding experience, so I'd have to outsource such a task.

Lucas,
The SL-C can be had (standard) with dropped floorpans. I believe a wider seat option is also available.

IMO 90k is on higher end. complete kit is $46k, ls376 $8k, G50 or maybe Griffin trans $6500-$8500, I figure another 10K for parts and other fabrication work. I don't think it's unreasonable to have one on the road for $65-$70K. although I have not started my build yet. I would be interested to see some build tallies if any one will post.

IMO 90k is on higher end. complete kit is $46k, ls376 $8k, G50 or maybe Griffin trans $6500-$8500, I figure another 10K for parts and other fabrication work. I don't think it's unreasonable to have one on the road for $65-$70K. although I have not started my build yet. I would be interested to see some build tallies if any one will post.

I think I'm around 100-110.

Yes Alex, but you went crazy with the engine, etc. I'll have around 70-72 in mine
when finished. That is, if I don't keep finding things to add. A well built SL-C
with a LS/ricardo or Griffin could be (standard build) for around 70K. Options and individual wishes for interior/paint make the difference.

Yes Alex, but you went crazy with the engine, etc. I'll have around 70-72 in mine
when finished. That is, if I don't keep finding things to add. A well built SL-C
with a LS/ricardo or Griffin could be (standard build) for around 70K. Options and individual wishes for interior/paint make the difference.

But..... but..... but........ it's not a real car unless it has 1000hp :shy:

:laugh:

"What it costs" has been discussed ad nauseum all across this site, whether in relation to a GT40, SL-C, or other car. I think it comes down to two basic things: what you put into it (options, new vs. reused, etc.) and how much you do yourself. If you can do everything yourself and source reused parts, you can do a build for not much more than the kit price. On the other hand, if you can't do anything yourself and must pay others to do the work, plus go for brand new "stuff", the money invested in the build can very quickly hit six figures.

It's all what you want, and what you can do.

Eric

Lucas,
I grew up in Mariettta, and my son lives there now in the Brumby apts. Speaking of Brumby, My parents bought his house that he was building back about 1950. It was called Fort Brumby. Built out of concrete and steel. Asberstos roof with steel trusses, built into the side of a hill. He was afraid of all natural disasters. Its the house on the corner of Whitlock and Oakmont Dr. Our next door neighbor was Governor Brown from the civil war.
Kenny Butler and I went to computer school together. Will have to contact him and see if he knows Bob. You are welcome to stop by any time you wish. I took a slow path on the build. I had enough saved up to build the car in one year. Then Life interrupted me and I discovered that budgets and teenagers don't go together. So It has taken a while. My build thread is here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/13742-drb-5-a.html
I haven't posted for a while due to problems that keep raising their heads. Once this last bug gets straightened out I will be on the road. Unfortunately every one here on the forum has heard that too many times!!!!

Bill

Bill, I've had so many "bugs" to straighthen out (not on the car) that I need an exterminator! Keep at it pal!

"It's all what you want, and what you can do".

Eric, you nailed that one. Going off on tangents eats money and time! Ask me about it.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Lucas,
The SL-C can be had (standard) with dropped floorpans. I believe a wider seat option is also available.

Also, although I don't know if this would help, but didn't Fran do a McLaren F1-style center seat SLC? Is that an option for future buyers?

Back