So where is Superperformance?

Howard Jones

Supporter
So the 50K is in pounds and the car would have to be shipped to the USA from the UK. It's getting closer to 100K DOLLARS than 50. Then we will add about 15-20k in powertrain right.

i just got a look at the superformance coupe this past weekend at LIMEROCK and also a noble M12 if they are any indication of the quality of the the 40 project the will prabably be the standard for the industry , we have a very well appointed ERA cobra with all the extas and then some , we wre parked next to the coupe and i have to say as nce is our cobra is the coupe stole the show , also on anither note i got to see one of the elenor shelby cars the restoration work was hacked , it had a buch of really great performance parts hung on resto job that looked like it was done in somones backyard , the owner keep telling me how the company doing the work met shelbys high standards , i did not want to burst his bubble so i just coplemented on how nice his car was and went on my way.just at casual glance they car had many issues , i got to wonder if carol would care to know his name is going on bad workmanship.reguards,WADE

Ron Earp

Admin
Trevor if it is 50k pounds then that would be roughly $89k USD right now - big money but more in line with pricing for such a car, in my opinion. $50,000 USD just seems too cheap, notwithstanding the fact it also seems not possible given the quality target.

Just so someone doesn't get the wrong Idea here. I have never ever critisized the Superformance products. Hi-Tech makes great cars and I wish them good fortune and I hope they do come out with a GT40. I also believe as Trevor does that a price is only set upon the completion of a cost analysis on the first completed proto-type.
I simply object to anyone as a spokesman for a company or not to announce a figure for a car that doesn't exist. I thought this to be unfair to all the other manufactures by baiting customers into waiting for their supreme product.
It's too bad that some folks feel that this forum is unimportant and has no influence on potential customers.Evidently someone thought it would help by announcing an early price figure on this forum whether it was by authorization or not.
I like to think this place provides useful information to its members. There are a few manufacturers that do come onto this forum and participate. Although they may not be as big as Mr. Price they believe that this forum is directly connected to the enthusiast who may have an interest in their product.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So the 50K is in pounds and the car would have to be shipped to the USA from the UK. It's getting closer to 100K DOLLARS than 50. Then we will add about 15-20k in powertrain right.

[/ QUOTE ]
That`s not the way I think it would work,Howard, assuming the GT40 deal works like the Coupe. There is already a 'supply chain' to the US, but to bring the (Brock) Le Mans Coupe to the UK, it was a different matter. The UK Coupe costs (very roughly) £80k turnkey, due to requiring alterations to meet our SVA test specifications, import taxation etc. compared to a price of (again, roughly) $80k in the US. Dammitt!!!!! Our govt. screw us on fuel price, and then to add insult to injury, make us have to spend more on getting the car too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi Hersh

I think that what has happened here is that a quote from Mr.Price has been taken as 'gospel' and got posted on this site and blown out of all proportion which is always unfortunate. However, there was always a clear intention to build a $50,000 roller sans engine and box etc, but that was obviously a comment made a year ago, or more. Things change, such as the world economy. To get your purse out and have the $50,000 ready is a bit naive, surely?? But you never know.....

Also, as Nik has pointed out, if the offending item does arrive in the USofA at $50,000, you can bet the lucky UK punters will pay £50,000 or more. You only have to look at the projected price of £45,000+ for the C6 Corvette in the UK to understand that. The same car can be had for loose change Stateside!

I have also seen, first-hand, the amount of work that has to be done to get the Coupe leagalized in the UK and its no surprise that it has that price tag. The American cars only have to drop in the running gear - hence (some of ) the price difference. The rest is tax, VAT and import duties.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
While I am not party to any inside information about this project, I do know Mr. Price and I understand that he has no interest in "rumours" or "conjecture" that trade on the 'net. He runs a sucessful business that is now one of the three largest independant auto manufacturers in the world. His business includes many areas that are not common public knowledge and encompasses a wide range of facilities and capabilities.

I think he will announce the car and price when he is ready, at his chosen schedule, not in response to any wishes we may have.

As to "deposits being taken" this is a function of the retail dealers, not the factory. Keep in mind these are independant franchises, not "factory stores"......hell, Ford dealers were taking deposits for the GT well before any pricing from Ford was announced of any distribution plans relvealed (and many dealers who are NOT getting a car continue to take or hold deposits from fish who should do some due diligence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) so don't use that as measure of official endorsement.

If Hi-Tech replied to every posting on the net, they would have no time left to build cars!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back