SouthernGT #73

any garage updates?
Roofing was supposed to start today but been delayed 1 week :confused: i was considering doing it myself but knew this time of year i would be mentally busy with work so farmed it out. The joinery was not delivered with the main delivery so ive only managed to fit half the cladding up yet as there are doors and windows missing, no date for delivery on that yet :(

Once the roof goes on i can start on the insulation, Im aiming to be ready to start on the car by beginning of March

**CAR NEWS**
I got one of these for christmas :D

MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
nice 4 wheeler, with roll over handle, nice

What roller rockers are you using with the AFR heads, do not get the ones with guide rails the will not work.

Yes David, I’ve refrained from posting about it as this is supposed to be a car build and I did t want to bore everyone with a garage build.

But seeing as you’ve asked there was a milestone on Wednesday when you could say I was working on the GT in the workshop as I needed to clean up some threads in the block prior to sending it off for cleaning

FE19A9C0-4ACF-43D5-AC6F-A79503093ECD.jpeg

So vapour barrier and cladding installed on one side and back wall, roof is now on. Windows and doors were not delivered with frame as there was delays with them from a third party, but they are coming on 31st, once they are in I can clad the remaining walls. Scaffolding for roof came down today and now it look like it’s taking shape but was too dark for a photo when I got home so tomorrow I am starting the guttering then onto the insulation which will keep me busy.

Spike

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Spike start a thread under the garage and tools forum.

For your AFR heads, what rockers did you choose? What cam are you using?

Rockers were the recommended ones on the AFR website (which is also what prestige motorsports quoted to use)

scorpion roller rockers 1.6 ratio, cam I haven’t decided yet

Neil

Supporter
Rockers were the recommended ones on the AFR website (which is also what prestige motorsports quoted to use)

scorpion roller rockers 1.6 ratio, cam I haven’t decided yet
For a cam recommendation, call Competition Cams and ask for Billy Godbold.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I used the comp cam XE264HR-14 I did not think to check AFR website and got rail type roller rockers which would not work. Sounds like you are on the right track with the Scorpion's. I did not go that route because I wanted to use the old OEM chrome valve covers and was afraid they would not fit.

Neil

Supporter
I used the comp cam XE264HR-14 I did not think to check AFR website and got rail type roller rockers which would not work. Sounds like you are on the right track with the Scorpion's. I did not go that route because I wanted to use the old OEM chrome valve covers and was afraid they would not fit.
Does anyone make valve cover spacers?

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
It is done and assembled. My machinist is about to work on the transaxle, replace shaft and gears, then mount up and check shaft clearance and end play into the crank to make sure there is no thrust pressure. I will then take to a shop in Houston to break in on the dyno with carburation.
I bought AFR165's, yours look like 185's?

Hi,

Ak Have Now completed the first chassis made here in Peterborough, don't worry we have made no changes to the chassis and all our welders are coded. I will post up some pictures to re assure you all. Unfortunately when we purchased SGT both ourselves and Mick thought we were going to get a lot more stock of parts BUT some of Micks customers went on a panic buying spree, this has resulted in AK not having much stock and having to re order to fill up our shelves. This is obviously taking longer than we all expected so please be understanding. With regards to the pricing , Mick's prices were actually 2019 prices and therefore an increase is inevitable BUT we are trying to keep it as low as possible.
We currently have on order:
15 x window screens
10 x front hub assembly's
10 x rear hub assembly's
6 x panel kits.
25 x sets door locks
2 x sets of wheels and tyres
Bellhousings
lots of laser cut parts and machined bits.

You are correct we do not have Mick's experience in 40's (we have been building Cobra's for over 30 years) but we have Mick on tap to answer any questions.
Please if you have any concerns give us a call or come and visit us.

Kind Regards

Jon and Neil

Jon & Neil,

this is all very good news and I look forward to ordering some parts soon.

I do feel this would be better shared in a thread of its own so that everyone who has been wondering what’s going on behind the scenes with half built cars will have a better picture and can ask questions directly.

spike

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I used the basic Comp cams 1.6 roller (non-rail) rockers and they fit under stock covers

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi,

Ak Have Now completed the first chassis made here in Peterborough, don't worry we have made no changes to the chassis and all our welders are coded. I will post up some pictures to re assure you all. Unfortunately when we purchased SGT both ourselves and Mick thought we were going to get a lot more stock of parts BUT some of Micks customers went on a panic buying spree, this has resulted in AK not having much stock and having to re order to fill up our shelves. This is obviously taking longer than we all expected so please be understanding. With regards to the pricing , Mick's prices were actually 2019 prices and therefore an increase is inevitable BUT we are trying to keep it as low as possible.
We currently have on order:
15 x window screens
10 x front hub assembly's
10 x rear hub assembly's
6 x panel kits.
25 x sets door locks
2 x sets of wheels and tyres
Bellhousings
lots of laser cut parts and machined bits.

You are correct we do not have Mick's experience in 40's (we have been building Cobra's for over 30 years) but we have Mick on tap to answer any questions.
Please if you have any concerns give us a call or come and visit us.

Kind Regards

Jon and Neil
Ofcourse we went on a buy-it-all as we knew it would take a long time to get the parts if we did'nt buy them asap before closure. Luckily I now have all parts needed:)

Morten

Back