Sowhatsitcostthen?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I WISH I had only 100K in my GT40...that and ten years of effort. If I had bought an ERA I would probably have fifteen thousand miles on it now....maybe I'll be driving this year. I hope so.

Mike
To be honest, I would have spent between $25and $30.000.00 NZ dollars and 2000 to 2500 hours with the wifes approval. The only outside works done were the fly wheel,adaptor plate and front hubs, everything elso done in my workshop. I am running the car again at Easter so hope that is goes as well as last time. One of the interesting things is how prominent the induction noise is, you can hear the car coming long before you see it. 850 hp I would love, 240hp is what I have in 720kg...Great stuff.
Cheers

Attachments

• Chassis assembly 3.8.2007 003.jpg
    Chassis assembly 3.8.2007 003.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 226
  • chassis shots 28.12 006.jpg
    chassis shots 28.12 006.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 259
  • exhausted or twisted 001.jpg
    exhausted or twisted 001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Its in at last 006.jpg
    Its in at last 006.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 219
  • rovers in 001.jpg
    rovers in 001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 226

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Russell,
Nice work. The car looks great. It's really light as well at 720Kg. I will look for some pics of the 8.5 litre monsters at Silverstone - I should have them somewhere. I remember being amazed at the tiny little brackets which were holding the engine and gearbox into the tub. But the sound of that big block was fantastic - it made your guts vibrate just like a drag engine.
Cheers
Mike

Time is another consideration. I built my ERA in about 200-250 hrs. As pointed out early many of the Parts are prefitted on the car. All cutouts were done. THe ERA was a simple bolt together with absolutely no fabrication. I had my car painted pre-delivery.
Any builder will tell you how much work is involved before you paint. You have the weigh your skill level and time constraints when choosing a manufacturer. Thay why there is something for everyone out there. I also liked the idea of driving over to ERA and seeing a factory built car and see how parts went together. A digital camera was my friend during the build. ERA was always co-operative to my questions. It was great to talk to the guy that builds them for a living there was always a trick involved.

LLoyd

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Lloyd,
Some good points there about doing your research before you buy by taking the time to go and look at the cars and meet the people making the parts. One of the reasons I posted this thread is that because these cars are not easy and you need to see what the costs are in money, time and enthusiasm.
However I got the car out yesterday after the winter layup and had a spin out in the sunshine. Magic! I was parked outside a friend's house when the police drove past in a van. They promply spun round and came back and parked blocking me in. I thought what's this then? A young officer jumped out followed by a very pretty young lady officer. They only wanted to see and talk about the car! After about 20mins of chatting and sitting in the car to take pics on their phones I had to set off to the club meeting. They hung around to see the car set off and encouraged me to give it a bootful up the road to get the full noise! I guess all the cost and effort is worthwhile (even if I did burn up £50 in "liquid gold" going to the pub and back).
Cheers
Mike

Mike P

I have been pulled over by the police. Same deal what now not speeding. He appologized and we talked for 30 minutes about the car. You have to love the attention these cars bring. Gas is a least 30 minutes every kid that works there has to look. I think i'm in more cell phones, It brings a smile to your face when a car load of teens drive by and they are all hanging out the windows with the phones taking pictures.

LLoyd

Guys,
Going the kit route free's up a lot of space. I am slowly getting up to speed to where Russ is. A few more tools Lathe Press etc and I will soon be there. I am getting ready to start a new chassis. Building a British Ford in Canada is not as easy as it once was. I am still waiting to hear about my brakes. I am trying to get them here so I am not killed on the shipping even though they are made in the US. Lots of planning involved and try to stay the course and not make to many too many changes.
Dave

Back