SPF spline size front sway bar?

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello,

Does anybody know what spline size is used on a Superformance front sway bar?

My sway bar arm's are also stripped out.

I dont't like to weld bar and arm together.

My plan is to fabricate a splined bushing which has the width of the spline on the bar - and then weld the bushing into the arm?!

Are there any other fixes out there?
What is the Superformance fix for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Markus

Markus,
Don't know if that will solve the problem. Splines are too shallow. Should be coarser spline. Many have just welded arms to the bar. A couple of tack welds worked for me.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Here we go again......

Back then I tack welded the arm to the bar...... but now it let go again

Can anybody provide information on how Superformance fixed this issue?
Any pics of the current setup out there? Different solution at all (e.g. one piece / or just improved splines?)

Thanks for feedback.

Markus

Reactions: MHA
I don’t know what the SPF solution is, but what about drilling a hole through the bar and the arm and securing with a roll pin or a bolt?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Markus,
I don't know what the geometry looks like on the Superformance but could you try to fit a one piece unit as original ?.
It is basically bent bar stock with some heat treatment, tapered and threaded like the top one in this photo.
fullsizeoutput_919.jpeg

While you are repairing the sway bar. You can shorten the links as well to help with ground clearance.

5D51B687-D464-4C81-9D62-177135E63593.jpeg

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, I did the weld fix on the stock SPF bars since mine were stripped, but was still not happy with the handling of the car.
Olthoff has a very, very nice upgrade for the sway bars, front and rear.

Car really handles much better now, IMHO.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello all,

Thanks for your input regarding fix or replacment.

I also found a original type sway bar from Cushman > #15
www.cushmancompetition.com/plateS.htm

In addition I found some pictures from a newer SPF - it look's they welded a bushing/sleeve into the arm to match the width of the spline on the bar....

699845589a7b7b_hd_1965-ford-gt40-superformance.jpg699876c187f135_hd_1965-ford-gt40-superformance.jpgr6998753d400bc1_hd_1965-ford-gt40-superformance.jpg699872b8f77432_hd_1965-ford-gt40-superformance.jpg

@ Rick Muck- Mark IV,
if you read this - is there the possibility to retrofit to the new arm's to the existing bar? If yes, how much are they?

So now I have project over wintertime.

Thanks again

Markus

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hello all,

Thanks for your input regarding fix or replacment.

I also found a original type sway bar from Cushman > #15
www.cushmancompetition.com/plateS.htm

In addition I found some pictures from a newer SPF - it look's they welded a bushing/sleeve into the arm to match the width of the spline on the bar....

View attachment 94902View attachment 94903rView attachment 94904View attachment 94905

@ Rick Muck- Mark IV,
if you read this - is there the possibility to retrofit to the new arm's to the existing bar? If yes, how much are they?

So now I have project over wintertime.

Thanks again

Markus

I will check on these and let you know.

Back