Spray painting rear clip

Ok Guys
I'm painting my car and need some tips on painting, inparticular getting the paint into the side air scoop entry. See pic below. I cant seem to get my gun to sprayevenly in the small gap, any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 000_1345.jpg
    000_1345.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 601
  • 000_1346.jpg
    000_1346.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 596
I'm interested to hear what others say, but I do have a small suggestion which may help: 3M makes a product called PPS which consists of disposable plastic mixing cups and plastic bags which hold the paint inside the gun. In addition to greatly simplifying cleanup, the system also allows you to use your HVLP gun upside down.

I'm getting close to shooting primer (at least on a few bits) and I figured I'd experiment on spraying the tricky areas with stuff that can easily be sanded off if runs develop. Liquid bondo!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think that I would use a Touch-up gun to paint the inside of the vent first...
Smaller, lighter, less coverage area, less likely to run...

Hi albanygt40,

When I painted my rear catch I used a touch up gun and put plenty of paint on and in the area. This alowed me a good thickness of paint to flat off and get the mirror finish that I wanted.

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
How about an air brush (if an air brush is the same as a touch up gun, please accept an apology from the "Department of Reduncancy Department")?

I've also seen old style pressure pot spray guns (or was it a small Wagner type airless, the type & size a home-owner would use to spray wicker furniture, etc.?) with a 10-12 inch long flexible extension tube onto which the spray gun tip would mount. That might work if you can find one of those.

Alternatively, how about a large pressure pot, the type that sits on the ground and you set the paint can into, very much like a large airless setup (although the airless doesn't use a pressurized pot, it uses a high pressure pump)? That would allow you to use the spray gun without any pot at all, allowing you to use it upside down, sideways, whatever.............

Doug

Thanks Bob and guys for chiming in. I'm getting good gloss out the Deltron
paint, but have decided to get professional help with the rear clip and dropped it off at the Panel shop for painting in their booth.

Attachments

• 000_1349.JPG
    000_1349.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 451
Back