Steering racks

What are people using for power steering racks for kit cars, I need one for a new car design and was wondering what is being used? Ideally something that can be reversed fot right and left hand drive.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
A sub 2400 lbs mid engine car doesn't usually need PS. Don't know what everyone is running but I'm using a 240Z rack about 2.7 turns lock to lock.

I had the common pinto rack on my Cobra and hated it, 4 turns lock to lock.

If you flip a rack over you have to change from front to rear on the location as it relates to the upright. Can be problematic.

Kalun, I am looking at the quick ratio mustang racks, which are 3.5 turns rack to rack. . They are hard to come by and as a result am looking at the Flaming River units. Why did you choose the 240. I have seen them listed on ebay fairly cheap. Most of the power units I have seen use the < 3 turns if memory serves. Is yours a power unit without the booster? How "heavy" is the turning?

Bill

I have been looking at using a citroen electric pump and more than likely on e their sterring racks also - avoiding the need to run ps lines from a pump running off the engine.

Back