Steering Wheel Adapters

Hi there,

Trying to distract myself from a rough time at the office, I find myself obsessing over our SL-C project. At the moment its steering wheel options and how to get a functional horn button on the wheel. Feeling bad that I derailed Ken's build thread I figured I'd launch a separate thread.

Ken used a Pfadt adapter attached to an NRG QR to get essentially the result we are looking for. I wasn't able to figure out why he needed the Pfadt adapter, which seems pricey, instead of Fran's adapter, but reckoned it was maybe because of a 5 bolt/6 bolt compatibility issue. That can be resolved with a cheap adapter ring ($25), so maybe there's something else at work there. Maybe he liked that the Pfadt moved the wheel closer, because it looks tall to me. I don't know.

So I read the NRG installation guide.
Quick Release Install Guide | NRG Innovations

That left me thinking that that the NRG QR could bolt right to the steering column spline, but Ken said that some sort of adapter would always be required.

Then I figured out that NRG was actually using their own adapter which they call their short hub, of which they have a Chevy specific model.

SRK-170H - Short Hub Domestic; Dodge, GM, GMC, Cheverolet, Jeep, Pontiac | NRG Innovations

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:. I got it!

So what would it cost to get a horn button on a QR steering wheel? Assuming everything from NRG fits and works, its $130 for the hub adapter which is cheaper than the Pfadt but still not cheap, and $100/130/150/190 depending on which version of the QR you opt for.

Or, as Fran suggested, slap the NRG QR onto the RCR adaptor with a $25 bolt pattern conversion flange and save $100 for the next obsession (seats!!!!).

That's all I know. Maybe its useful. Maybe its even right.

Cheers,

Ruth

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ruth the NRG hub doesn't fit the Cadillac XLR column. That Hub only works on Corvettes up to 93.

The only hub that I know of currently that works with the C6 Corvette and XLR steering columns is the PFADT.

The NRG QR does not work with the RCR adapter. (see my pictures of the RCR adapter in my log). I just up loaded pictures of the RCR QR.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I need to look more closely at my early column/quick release to see how they're attached. However, steering is REALLY important (right up there with brakes!) so I'd prefer that the steering wheel hub/wheel be securely fastened (welded) to the column.

Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Here's a picture of the steering column in my SLC. Obviously, it's missing the clock spring that Ken clarified in his build log. The spline adpater is definitely welded to the column. My SLC came with the adapter from Sweet Manufacturing.

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• Steering column spline.JPG
    Steering column spline.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 427
I'm moving some information from the other thread - this is good stuff:

If you purchase the Pfadt adapter then here is the GM part number for the nut to mount it to the steering column shaft. #11609659

The GM part number for the clock spring is #89060610. You can get it for about $123 if you happen to have a XLR column without it.

Good information, thanks all. Dave - maybe there was or is some sort of conflict between the welded on spline an the clock spring. This coud be why our cars were shipped without a clock spring.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Good information, thanks all. Dave - maybe there was or is some sort of conflict between the welded on spline an the clock spring. This coud be why our cars were shipped without a clock spring.

Rob -

Hard to tell but that could be the case. Being that my SLC will be a street car I'd kind of like to have the horn button on the steering wheel.

Fran - Will the clock ring fit on the early columns?

Thanks,
Dave L

Rob -

Hard to tell but that could be the case. Being that my SLC will be a street car I'd kind of like to have the horn button on the steering wheel.

Fran - Will the clock ring fit on the early columns?

Thanks,
Dave L

Bringing this back to life. . . .

For the folks that have taken delivery recently, did the columns come with the clock spring?

Mine came with one, I removed it. I will be going old school with a coiled cord and a F1 style wheel.
Cheers,
Grant

Good that they come with it, because that gives us some options. We haven't ruled out the coiled cord approach either. Looks very racey :)

But I think what the group has discovered so far is that beyond what Fran provides, Pfadt is the ONLY company that has a hub adapter that fits the C6/XLR column. The Sparco would attach to the Pfadt, just like the NRG, etc.

Oh that's kind of funny. Is that a knock off of a Sparco part? And do they only work with the old 'rub strip' type contacts or do they communicate with modern horn 'contact' systems?

What column is RCR supplying with their kits today? My column has no power telescopic or tilt, only manual tilt. Also, is there suppose to be a cover with the column? Mine does not and looks unfinished. I would like to use the NRG system but don't know which to purchase.

Back