Stolen car

The best thing about Lojack's hidden transmitter, is that the thief thinks that he has gotten away with the perfect crime, until the police show up at his door an hour later!
Some people put the Lojack sticker on the car as a theft deterrent, some don't.
Either way, it's cheap insurance.

Bill

Steve,

Sorry to hear this. Seeing your car at Roy's place in Vegas' was the reason I decided on a CAV.

On the LoJack front, sounds like we sould have someone approach LoJack with a 'Group Rate' for the Forum.

You know, the first thing the police asked was whether it had Lojack. Of course, I live in Utah and there's not even a single dealer in the state...

The other thing is that the Yspilanti Marriott parking lot *should* have been the safest place around - it was the headquarters hotel, there were lots of other valuable cars & trailers there, and there was (or should have been) extra security on duty...

Steve

Hopefully your car will be recovered soon and intact.
But in case it doesn't, what kind of insurance do you have?
How long does a car have to stay "stolen" before a claim
is paid ? Will you be able to replace it exactly ?

MikeD

Ah, yes, the insurance issue... I'm in the process of filling out the paperwork. It makes it seem like the insurance company accuses me - they want a release that allows them to look at my work, financial, phone, medical records or anything else they might deem relevant.

In any case, it's insured for a stated value, and I don't even remember what the stated value is. It's less than I have in it, that I do know. They told me they wait 30 days and then will settle if it's not recovered. If it turns up after that it gets auctioned. Not clear if I get first chance to buy it back from them...

Steve, Im truly sorry, your car has been one of my favorite CAV's (I love it in Wimbleton White, no stripes, etc.) I had a chance to see it at the Monterey Historics last year and will be looking for it this year (no matter what color it may be) If I find it , I'll drag the guy who took it behind my GTD all the way to Utah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Steve,

Just found this thread. This simply sucks and you will have my thought, prayers and voice with you. I'll put a bug in anyone's ear who will listen to keep their eyes open. If everyone on the forum does this. It will be found eventually. I can only hope that it wasn't too professional so that it stays here in North America and doesn't end up overseas somewhere.

Regards,
Lynn

Please contact me if there is anything you would specifically like me to do.

Now that I am able to reply I will tell you guys what I did in the engine bay of my CAV. I used a set of number punches to put my social security # on the stainless steel panel of the monoque where it is very easy to see. Years ago I saw a boat that looked like mine which was stolen from me. I looked and found my s/s# where I put it and called the cops and eventually got it back because of my # in the aluminum boat. This is one way to prove it is yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Joe

Sorry to here about your lost. I Hope you get it back in original condition. Do not let the insurance company get away with anything. Stand your ground. Although it's not as big as your lose I am involved with my insurance company for accidental damage to a camera and lens. They seem to be offering a deal that suits them, more than me! Hang in there!!

Steve,

Stay on top of the local police in Michigan. To them your "dream car" is just another stolen car. Don't let it be put on the back burner!
Have you offered a reward, perhaps through the Michigan police who are handling the case?
We are all waiting for some good news about your car.
Let's hope that it comes soon!

Hang in there!

Bill

Well folks, I mailed off the title certificates to my insurance company yesterday, so they own the car now. If it turns up now I'll have to buy it back from them...

[ QUOTE ]
Well folks, I mailed off the title certificates to my insurance company yesterday, so they own the car now. If it turns up now I'll have to buy it back from them...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sad.

A real bummer Steve. I hope you find another GT that will make you smile again. Keep the faith, you will be happy in the end.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve - I am sincerely sorry to hear of your loss and hope that you are able to recover that car. Here is something which may be of use to you and other victims of car theft. Hemmings Motor News offers a free listing in their stolen cars section. Below is a copy of their offer:

"STOLEN CAR NOTICES will be posted in this column at no charge. Please send us all pertinent details, which MUST include make, model, VIN, year, color of body and interior, license plate number (and state), plus any other prominent identifying features. Theft MUST have been reported to the police, and you must include a copy of that police report. These notices are restricted to collector vehicles and hobby-related vehicles. Send information to:
Stolen Cars, Hemmings Motor News, PO Box 256, Bennington, Vermont 05201."

Hope this helps. Best regards, Orin Meyer

Thansk. I'll send them the info. I buy Hemmings so rarely (last one I have here is May 2003) that it didn't even occur to me that they might have such a section...

In other news, the title certificates are coming back to me. Seems I was supposed to sign them. I wish they'd told me ahead of time so I didn't waste $7.50 sending them registered mail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hi Steve,
The car was a GT40NA, which sold for 135K as I recall. It was definitely not your car. I thought the price was way too high, but I do not know much about the car and it's build quality.

Back