Superformance GT40 with Ford 5.0 "Coyote"

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It has been done.......Nigel Hulme, the UK Superformance agent has organized the installation of a new Ford 5.0 "Coyote" V8 into the Superformance (original type) chassis. And a nice job it is!

This is now available as a factory supported option.

Thank you Nigel for boldly going where no man has gone before (Hey, that sounds familiar...?)

A very nice installation.

Attachments

• GT-010.jpeg
    GT-010.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3,333
  • GT-013.jpeg
    GT-013.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,264
  • GT-014.jpeg
    GT-014.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,412
  • GT-015.jpeg
    GT-015.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,983
  • GT-005.jpeg
    GT-005.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,680

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'VERY IMPRESSIVE looking setup! :2thumbsup:

(Edit: Coyotes can/are hurling Mustangs thru the quarter mile in the high nines these days. This car ought to be an ANIMAL.)

(What/whose transaxle is used???)

Last edited:
It has been done.......Nigel Hulme, the UK Superformance agent has organized the installation of a new Ford 5.0 "Coyote" V8 into the Superformance (original type) chassis. And a nice job it is!

This is now available as a factory supported option.

Thank you Nigel for boldly going where no man has gone before (Hey, that sounds familiar...?)

A very nice installation.

Great looking car!

For the record though, this may be a first for this manufacturer but several others (Tornado, GtForte, etc. ) have offered this for quite some time now.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Great looking car!

For the record though, this may be a first for this manufacturer but several others (Tornado, GtForte, etc. ) have offered this for quite some time now.

Yes,

This is NOT the first "GT" to have a Coyote, but it IS the first original type tub to have one. Because Superformance cannot change the "hard points" of the rear tub this was needed to prove that this powertrain could be used.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
What transaxle? How about some ideas and information on what he had to do to make this fit.

I am impressed and wish I had one in mine.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
What transaxle? How about some ideas and information on what he had to do to make this fit.

I am impressed and wish I had one in mine.

A ZF. The ZF/ZFQ are the only supported transaxles in a Superformance. While there is a car with a six-speed Ricardo, it was done by the owner without parts/engineering from SPF.

Note that the intake system on the 5.0 has been turned 180 degrees to eliminate the throttle body interference with the bulkhead.

All in all a nice, clean job. Also note that the exhaust is not 180 degree and now exit via the vents on either side of the original exhaust opening.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
A ZF. The ZF/ZFQ are the only supported transaxles in a Superformance. While there is a car with a six-speed Ricardo, it was done by the owner without parts/engineering from SPF.

Note that the intake system on the 5.0 has been turned 180 degrees to eliminate the throttle body interference with the bulkhead.

All in all a nice, clean job. Also note that the exhaust is not 180 degree and now exit via the vents on either side of the original exhaust opening.

Thanks Rick, I wanted to put a modular motor in my car from the start, I digitized the profile of the 4.6 motor and cut out a template of the front and knew right off it wouldn't fit but after reading about the coyote engine I thought there might be a way and its good to see that it works. I know its not for the original guys but people like me who just want 400 HP with all the modern features this would be a perfect match. The sound would be be the only down side to me, I love the sound of the 180 headers.

so we also need some pictures from the rear since it has a different exhaust route through the rear.
also a picture from the top rear to see how it looks with that modern engine under the "glass"

if you can get those pictures that is.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The sound would be be the only down side to me, I love the sound of the 180 headers.

Agreed. NOTHING sounds like a SBF through a set of GT40 180s! Because of the reversed intake system it would be difficult to have the exhausts meet in the center and exit center like the standard 180s. I don't doubt it could be done with some clever engineering, however I am not that clever!

If you use the "Boss 302" version of the Coyote you have the programming available for the "Track Key" option. That give a very different engine mapping with a lumpy, rorty idle and improved throttle response and well as more agressive decel rates. Plus you get 30 more ponys!

The use of the new, hi tech crate engines in hobby cars will only increase and as more "hot rodders" are used to tuning via a laptop rather than turning screws on a Holley, the ease of installation will only improve.

Back in the late eighties I suggested to a guy building an ERA GT that he put a "GT40" 5.0 engine in his GT. He was horrified at the idea of fuel injection in lieu of Webers! My how times have changed. When I was importing the AC MK IVs we had people rushing to get the last of the carbureted cars because the said they would not be able to "hot rod and tune" the EFI! little did they know that a whole industry would grow around the Ford 5.0 with EFI!!!!!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Your right Rick, times have changed, I don't have anything thats not EFI. Mike Trusty sold me on it back in 93.

I have so many projects going now that the coyote motor will have to be on my next bucket list. :)

Although it may not work with the SPF, I know that Tornado sells a good looking set of headers designed for their Coyote version of the GT40. Others are supposed to offer these as well I hear.

FWIW, I would opt for the Aluminator version of the Coyote and plan to do just that myself. It's made a good bit stronger, not much more money, and performs slightly better. With the new Cobra Jet intake for the 5.0, the horsepower will actually be better than the Boss version but may not be as conducive to daily driving.

Ford part# M-6007-A50NA

This is quoted from Ford on it:

"Ford Racing has taken the Mustang GT 5.0L 4V TiVCT engine and created another in its series of "Aluminator" crate engines built to deliver higher performance. The 5.0 Aluminator NA is built with extreme duty connecting rods and pistons designed specifically for high performance applications. Mahle 11.0:1 compression ratio forged pistons are hard anodized with Graphal low friction coating. The connecting rods are premium Manley H-beam with ARP 2000 bolts and fitted with BOSS 302 high performance bearings. "

The dyno tests were showing 10-15 HP over the regular Coyote if I recall correctly. With a Boss or Cobra Jet intake, this thing should make 450 or more RWHP if what I have been seeing about dyno pulls is correct.

Almost forgot...

The Aluminator is good to 8,000 RPM. The Cobra Jet is made to peak at 7750. Will make a heck of a potent combination and although won't sound like a high output 302 with a "bundle of snakes" will still sound plenty powerful.

Last edited:
Back