Superlite GT-R novice build questions

Hey guys I'm looking to possibly challenge myself and try and tackle a Superlite GT-R build in my home garage in the next few months( the lady says I need a hobby and I could use a fun car) I was planning a graziano trans mated to a Ford performance parts coyote 5.0 and am thinking about going the build it bare bones 1st and get the tags and title issues dealt with(I deal with Virginia laws) then touch up livability issues later on after getting the car running. I've seen a few build threads but am unsure if this is possible to do in a home garage(would be a 2 bay) I'm basically mechanically inclined and am willing to learn. Any advice?

Neil

Supporter
Go to Harbor Freight and buy an engine hoist and a few moving dollies with casters. The dollies are handy for moving things like transmissions around your garage to get them out of the way. You don't want to lift & carry heavy things unless necessary. The hoist will let you lift the engine into the car easily with or without the transaxle in place. You can do it, Jacob.

Thanks Neil, I'm looking forward to the challenge just reviewing all the builds some pictures make me more confident than others if that makes sense!

Joel K

Supporter
Hey Jacob, a 2 car garage is perfect and will be plenty of room. You could store the body on a rollable buck or hang it from the ceiling and keep all the major parts like engine trans etc. below it. You will need some tools and the perseverance for a multi year project. I am in the same category skill level wise and took on the project.

My recommendation is to review in detail all the GTR-Build threads and digest the amount and type of work that is necessary. If you feel like it is something you will enjoy doing then give it a shot.

I’ve done the get it running quick and come back later project, and I would advise you to reconsider. It is much more enjoyable, cost efficient, and easier, to take it slow and do it like you want it the first time.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I’ve done the get it running quick and come back later project, and I would advise you to reconsider. It is much more enjoyable, cost efficient, and easier, to take it slow and do it like you want it the first time.

I second this immensely. Once you're running you won't want to tear it down/apart but you'll be frustrated with the things you haven't done. My largest regret was not sorting the AC before tagging the car. Makes it MUCH more enjoyable when the weather gets above 68°.

Make it as nice as you want it in one shot.

Fair enough,I'm glad to know others have gone down this road and don't recommend it. It's reassuring that enough people have built them too to be able to have some sort of knowledge base to lean on if I get stuck!

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Build it backwards. Start with polishing the paint/dip, cleaning the glass. Think systems that sit on top of each other and need to access them. Do not put in any part or drill any hole until everything is laid out. I installed the factory seats on day 2 after unpacking everything. I put them in the wrong spot. Then I tossed them for better seats. I drilled and rivnutted in my shifter. The bolts went and hit the top of the tank. I have 50+ extra holes that I JB welded over. It's all good. Car is lighter for it.

I live in Fairfax with a SLC so I am not to far. I think Allen is a good idea or someone who has built one before.
If you let it drag out it could be years before its done.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Buy tools as you need them instead of paying for labor. You can DO it yourself in almost every case! Utube has someone who has made a video of everything you will ever need to know. Get familiar with Utube self-help videos and start checking your local Craigslist every few days for used tools you think you might need.

You will want an air compressor (used see below for capacity and HP etc.) but you don't need to break the bank, a decent strongly built 2X4 and plywood workbench, a nice big vice to bolt to it, used hand tools and handheld power tools, Some used lighting overhead in the garage (no such thing as too much), and some homemade car dollies made from cheap 4-inch casters and plywood.

Everything you need to know at least 10 guys have done a few times on this forum. Start a build thread on day one and ask away. Add your location to your profile, it will come in handy for others to offer local help as well as local retail suppliers.

A used frig out in the garage is a really nice addition as well as an old stereo.

Save every receipt in a three-ring binder in order of date of purchase. You will want to keep the part numbers as well as the vendor's contact information.

This air compressor is enough for a lifetime of work in your garage if you can add a 230V single-phase plug out there. It is just about the minimum capacity to run air sanders and air-powered body tools, If not a 110 volt less expensive one will still work for a lot of things. You should be able to find a used one for no more than 2/3's of the new price.

$500-600 would be my target.

Attachments

• HPIM0613.jpg
    HPIM0613.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Back