Superlite GTA

Not sure with some of the design changes, but it some of the post before the car was supposed to hit around 2500lbs or so (don't quote me on it). I know the car is really wide (78"), so the same width as an Enzo.

On the W12 question, I looked through the VW self-study guides on the V8 and the W engines to find their dimensions. The length between whatever reference points VW uses (I'm guessing bellhousing face to pully) is given as follows:

W8 - 420 mm
W12 - 513 mm
4.2 V8 - 464-516 mm (depending on version)

The fact that the V8 is too long to fit would indicate that the W12 won't fit either. I'm sure the W12 was an unlikely choice for anyone, but I thought it would be interesting to find out.

It's taking time but I think I'm gathering decent information here. I now have one question after reading this thread and others like it Cost to build 2.7t vs VR6t

In the discussions of the engine choice's for the APEX I've seen the VR6 thrown into the mix with the rest of them (1.8t, 2.7t, 2.8, 3.0) but that engine really seams different then the rest of these. From the builders standpoint is it really the same cost to put the VR6 into the APEX as the 2.7t/1.8t? I'm still not understanding the donor/transmission choice for the VR6. Fran, hoping you can explain this since most of what I've read says the systems are not compatible like the others.

The reason I've asked is I've narrowed to the 2.7t and VR6. Here's how I got there (I know others will disagree). The 1.8t would be my third choice and is certainly the budget option (besides stock V6...meh). If my budget for this car decreases this might be my first choice. If you are trying to get to @400hp you can do it with the 1.8T but you will still spend several thousand dollars to do it and you will still not be as reliable as the 2.7t or VR6. Better spending a little more for the V6 options in my opinion. The standard V6's (2.8, 3.0 etc) do not seem to be revered by the vw/audi communities and therefore the aftermarket for these are fairly limited. Best option for this seems to be a supercharger but for $4k for an additional 100 hp this is bottom of the list. As for the 2.7t vs VR6, I prefer the VR6 since I would only be adding turbo and plumbing times 1 vs times 2 for the 2.7t and ultimately could be more reliable for less money - not to mention the added 18% to 30% extra displacement in the VR6 (though I have seen single turbo 2.7's it's not as easy as VR6). Disadvantages for the 2.7T is its only quatro so the trans from a donor car is out. If you already want to upgrade to an 01E this isn't a downside. And I still don't know what the VR6/trans option is thus my question to Fran. Almost forgot about the W8, VW can't even get the stock ones to run...out unless you love dropping your engine several times a year. Just my .02.

Last edited:
I'm just going to throw this out there but what about the Ford 3.5 ecoboost? Not sure how it compares in size to the VW V-6 but it seems this would be an ideal motor for the GTA if it would fit. There are tons of them out there, they are relatively cheap, HP and TQ can easily and reliably be in the 500 range not to mention Ford Racing offers them as crate motors.

I'm just going to throw this out there but what about the Ford 3.5 ecoboost? Not sure how it compares in size to the VW V-6 but it seems this would be an ideal motor for the GTA if it would fit. There are tons of them out there, they are relatively cheap, HP and TQ can easily and reliably be in the 500 range not to mention Ford Racing offers them as crate motors.

My guess is if the VR6 fits longitudinaly...the ecoboost would. Have you tried googling the dimensions yet? Id be curious of the added cost to build a motor not supported by Fran? Any guesses? The VR6 comes in a 3.6 (and has seen 900 HP+ cars)..just sayin

Has anything been said about ground clearance yet? As a daily driver how's the Apex going to handle speed bumps and curbs? Is a lift kit like the SLC gonna be recommended?

And I think I saw something back when it was going to use an eclipse motor etc about trunk storage space front and back. Is that still the case and how do you get access to it?

Huy, its a full suspension package and not just a "rebody". If you were to leave engine in front, you'd eliminate most the benefit of going with an SLC product. Might as well be a tuner body clad kit at that point.

This is making a mid-engine car out of the safety tub of the Mitzi....not covering up the Eclipse with just bling. SO I guess you could and have a really big/expensive trunk made in rear. But that is expensive garage art left over of his superior front sub assembly.

This Talon was one man's exersise in design and fabrication, to do something most peope said was impossible. And it was great, as such! However, it is a terrible concept for a viable vehicle...

Doing this to an APEX, in its currently proposed configuration, would be no easier than doing it to ...lets say... a Corvette...

Haha...and at least one of the engines would already be in the Corvette. I'm failing to see the benefit of twin engines in any car. If you said you wanted to do an electric fwd on the apex as well as the mid-engine setup...I'd say you should definitely try this. I personally don't have a tree that grow's money.

Do we need all this from the corvette suspensions?
$T2eC16dHJGoFFvtvHUe)BRi9KTFdSQ~~60_57.JPG

Back