Superlite GTA

they never mentioned in that thread if they were successful or not. I don't think it's as easy as how the suburu guys are able to pull it off for the 818. the 01e, was euro only availability i believe or very little stock got to the US.

Whats interesting is that depending on which forum your reading everyone has a different opinion on which is stronger O1E fwd or 016 (believe us standard 5spd). Scott at AA has said "01e > 0a2 > 01x > 016" and I tend to believe him. But I'd love to know the trq ratings for 01E vs 016 if anyone has it.

Good to know Fran might have some...If I don't go the complete donor route I might consider that. Maybe he'll sell it at a discount compared to Scott. :drunk:

Whats interesting is that depending on which forum your reading everyone has a different opinion on which is stronger O1E fwd or 016 (believe us standard 5spd). Scott at AA has said "01e > 0a2 > 01x > 016" and I tend to believe him. But I'd love to know the trq ratings for 01E vs 016 if anyone has it.

Good to know Fran might have some...If I don't go the complete donor route I might consider that. Maybe he'll sell it at a discount compared to Scott. :drunk:

Scott, what engine and how much power are you wanting to run? The 012 should be fine in the Apex depending on how much power you want to put out. It is a 5 speed versus 6 speed though. The 012 is probably the cheapest option available. The 01x is the 6 speed version of the 012. They both can support similar power levels. It will probably be more expensive though.

It isn't easy to say exactly how much power a transaxle can support because it is dependent on the weight of the vehicle and tire size/grip levels. You could 2000 horsepower through a transaxle if you had bicycle tires on car because it would just spin the tires. Transmission damage can occur when your have lots of torque that hooks up quickly due to large sticky tires.

If you are planning big power 400+ HP/ft lbs, 01e is the only way to go. They will take MASSIVE amounts of HP and torque in much heavier vehicles.

Scott, what engine and how much power are you wanting to run? The 012 should be fine in the Apex depending on how much power you want to put out. It is a 5 speed versus 6 speed though. The 012 is probably the cheapest option available. The 01x is the 6 speed version of the 012. They both can support similar power levels. It will probably be more expensive though.

It isn't easy to say exactly how much power a transaxle can support because it is dependent on the weight of the vehicle and tire size/grip levels. You could 2000 horsepower through a transaxle if you had bicycle tires on car because it would just spin the tires. Transmission damage can occur when your have lots of torque that hooks up quickly due to large sticky tires.

If you are planning big power 400+ HP/ft lbs, 01e is the only way to go. They will take MASSIVE amounts of HP and torque in much heavier vehicles.

latest thoughts are 350hp+ with 3.0 audi v6 with low boost pes supercharger and e85 (corresponding upgrades) some headwork, stock bottom end.

latest thoughts are 350hp+ with 3.0 audi v6 with low boost pes supercharger and e85 (corresponding upgrades) some headwork, stock bottom end.

If I were you, I'd probably just pony up for the 01e initially. Its a few thousand more than an 012 but your 350hp could easily turn into 400, 450, etc since these VW/Audi engines are so easy to make power out of.

For the budget build, the best combo is probably the 1.8t and 012 since its the cheapest combo, even though the 1.8t can also put out the power.

I'm still undecided which engine we will put in ours but I'm also leaning towards one of the v6's and 01e. I'll probably boost it a little more though so achieve 450-500 hp.

Alright....this is back at the top of the list, then LMP2, then SLC Lemans.....gonna need a bigger shop and a couple more buckets of cash. Btw Fran, looks like we may be at the PRI show in Indy this December. Would be nice to schedule a visit to your shop after the show.

I'm still undecided which engine we will put in ours but I'm also leaning towards one of the v6's and 01e. I'll probably boost it a little more though so achieve 450-500 hp.

That seems a little low...maybe you need a second turbo.:laugh:

This looks like a great setup for whichever v6 is used... Agtronic Motorsport | Gallery

New%20Gen%20S4%20087.jpg

Last edited:
Leon,
the only drivetrain fully supported will be the VW/Audi one.

As it states on the facebook posting , we may support adapter plates etc to the VW/AUDI transaxle but the rest will be up to the customer to furnish.

Thank you for your response, Fran.

Sorry, I must have missed the FB update. Unfortunately, I have zero interest in getting into VW powertrain. I am way too invested in the 4G63 to pick-up another platform, so it is back to searching for me (and many other 4G63 enthusiasts). VWs have even larger following than 4G63 so I am sure you will do fine with this platform.

Best of luck, but I am out unless 4G63 is back on the table :(

As I said you can use the engine but it will have to be mated to a longitudinal VW /AUDI transaxle....there is no longer room for transverse engine package using the suspension components we have redesigned the package to use.

The problem is that in addition to the kit car building project, it now becomes an egine swap project. I have done a couple of 4G63 swaps, and I can attest that it isn't easy and much bigger project than it appears on the surface. And I am not currently looking to do another engine swap project...

But sounds like this is a done deal, so there no sense to dwell on it.

Wouldn't you be moving a 4g63 to the rear anyway? Does Using a Longitudinal transaxle really make it a deal breaker? I get the need for trans adapter and fabbed mounts, but everything else was going to need re-working anyway. Right?

The problem is that in addition to the kit car building project, it now becomes an egine swap project. I have done a couple of 4G63 swaps, and I can attest that it isn't easy and much bigger project than it appears on the surface. And I am not currently looking to do another engine swap project...

But sounds like this is a done deal, so there no sense to dwell on it.

Somebody is gonna want to use the W12, wait and see....

I'm not remotely qualified to consider working with such an offbeat engine, but I admit I am curious. Also, I expect the question will be asked frequently. :D The W12 was very short, but I don't know if it was shorter than the Audi V8 that Mr. Hall states will not fit. That V8 is quite short, so I'm guessing the W12 is no-go.

Another question I'm wondering (and I hesitate to ask, thinking perhaps I've missed a post I can't now find with the search): is there a ballpark weight with a typical build and typical engine (1.8T, say)? I realize that a great many factors could affect the weight, and I recognize that weight is far from being the sole determining factor in how a car handles, but as a guy coming from a background of sub 2,300 lb. MR2s, I'm curious if this is a car which will hit in the mid-2000-lb range, or mid-3000-lb or lower (or higher).

I've lurked here for years but it was the recent Apex updates which led me to register. If my project MR2s ever grow up, I think they want to be Superlites. :laugh:

Back