Superlite GTA

Edit - oh, and I was confused by the part about "if the engine or vehicle does not resemble one previously manufactured". So this car will have an engine in it that says Mitsubishi 2.0L DOHC on top, is the ref likely to let that go in light of how modified the rest of the motor is?
The engine year isn't important if you've elected to go by the body style (vehicle model-year).

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Is yours going under the 1960 smog rules? I'm trying to figure out how the BAR ref looks in an engine bay and sees a fairly modern powerplant and doesn't call it a certain year.?

Mine being a GT40, called a 66 on MSO, is treated as having a 66 engine. I could have a helicopter turbine in there and it would still be 66 smog rules. It really does not matter what the engine is.... although they do say "oh come on guys, be reasonable, put a pcv valve on it".

There is our one case where the owner was told to put an air pump on because he has a 289 and Mustangs that year had air pumps, but that is either an errant BAR referee or the referee was trying to assign model year by engine (which you never want to do unless you have a provably pre-66 engine).

Interesting point about RCR vs Eclipse. You could try saying it's an RCR chassi with some Eclipse parts and simply remove the Eclipse VINs. If it has no serial number CHP will make one up and rivet on a plate.

Even better if Fran were to assign one you could use that.

Over the weekend I started looking into legality, specifically making the car California street legal. I don't want to have something that may pass smog tests or may need alterations every other year in order to pass. I also don't want it to attract attention from the CHP if it is borderline in terms of noise. I want it to be as legal as something I could buy off a lot.

The information I was able to dig up seems to point to the modifications needed to make the kind of power that's been talked about in this thread are not Ca. street legal. 4G63 mod shops seem to have a disclaimer on their sites saying this too - only legal in Ca for vehicles that will not be used on public roads. Different turbos are one of the things listed as not legal.

Maybe there's more to it and I just haven't found the right information yet on how it can be done to get these engines to perform and have no legality issues in Ca.

I have no idea how car enthusiasts maintain a car hobby in CA… Most of DSM mods are done by small tuner shops, who do not have the resources to get CARB approval. But yet… there are numerous modified cars in CA, never the less…

With a custom car like this, I would guess that it will be difficult for them to judge what is stock what isn’t.

After further research, it sounds like it could be really simple on this car. Take it to the smog ref and ask for it to be done under the vehicle model year rule. Since it doesn't resemble anything else, it gets designated as 1960 model year, no smog equipment required, CARB legality be damned.

I think it may be a good idea to talk to both a smog ref and a CHP inspector ahead of time to go over what I'm planning and make sure it's going to be good rather than spend all the time and money and find out I have to redo something. I don't want it to be a massive polluter (I like clean air!), but want to have few enough restrictions to be able to make the engine fun. I'm picturing maybe high flow cats would be allowed, reduce some of the junk coming out, and still let me get it up there in power. More research still to come.

I agree, I don't know how all the modded cars running around are passing smog and getting registered since they can't fall under the 1960 MY if they look like a 1999 Eclipse.

I have no idea how car enthusiasts maintain a car hobby in CA…
It's called paying to play by hooking up a smog compliant car to the tester and entering your cars info... not that I know anything about it or anyone who does it.

I have no idea how car enthusiasts maintain a car hobby in CA… Most of DSM mods are done by small tuner shops, who do not have the resources to get CARB approval. But yet… there are numerous modified cars in CA, never the less…

With a custom car like this, I would guess that it will be difficult for them to judge what is stock what isn’t.

Well, here in CA you can go right ahead and mod your tin bucket... just have to watch-out for police officers; when sighted, step off the gas and coast. :laugh:

Hi Fran, any new photo and info on the Apex?

I've determined I would LOVE to do an SL-C, but can't justify the cost and it probably wouldn't fit my life that well (looking at a semi-daily driver).

My next choice would be an Apex, but I have to figure out if it's truly something I want, and whether I'm capable of doing it the way I want.

Tom,
We are certainly not building a flimsy lightweight car...with the 4G63 and its variants capable of 600hp ...the same attention to chassis integrity and handling was paid to the Apex...
We are known for the strength and durability of our underpinnings as much as we are for anything else....so rest assured you will be able to attempt to beat up on the Apex!!!!!

is the DDR Motor Sport one of the competitors?

I know the DDR GT8 (LS1 powered) has a turn-key price of 45k. Their GT4 is more comparable to the GT-Apex due to the 4-pot power plant... but that car is much less original (total McLaren F1 wanna-be):
2011-miami-gt-by-ddr-moto-4_600x0w.jpg

is the DDR Motor Sport one of the competitors?

Certainly is a good looking kit on the skin. Competitive pricing for what you get. The sub structure looks to be a bit flimsy compared to what Fran builds. Reminds me of a old "birdcage" racecar, with about half the birdcage missing. I would want to know what sort of engineering/engineer was responsible for the structure?
Fran's pedigree is without question.

Jeff-

It is pretty nice looking. For me the doors are a bit flashy and I like the Apex better for that aspect. Frame does like kind of small. I like that there are multiple options for power but you also need a lot of donor parts and more things you still need to buy aside from the kit.

I was going to add that I liked the way they've done the colors/graphics on the DDR. I was thinking the other day, some cool Apex and Superlite graphics would complete the look of this car.

It seems like DDR has spent a lot on looks and marketing. The only video on their site is a professional looking commercial and all of the photos appear similar. Lots of the budget on those things may mean less on engineering...?

Diego, owner of DDR is a good guy and I and others on this forum have helped him....alot.

He is an old school kit car guy...doing everything himself with a very limited budget.

I was going to add that I liked the way they've done the colors/graphics on the DDR. I was thinking the other day, some cool Apex and Superlite graphics would complete the look of this car.

I second that!! I really hate the way a custom paintjob looks on most cars and sportbikes. Especially sportbikes without the factory graphics.

I am watching the development of the Apex project with great interest. A nice well designed graphics package could really help the average builder make this car look really nice and 1st rate.

Back