Superlite GTA

I'm coming up with a pros/cons of each option and having a hard time finding facts on the 4G63 weight.

The first hit on a Google search for the LS4 came up with this:

478lb engine (dry) and 214lb tranny.
(GM LS4 V8 / 4T65E INFO)

That appears to be anywhere from 200-300lb heavier, so if one wanted to keep a similar P/W ratio, it'd need more horsies to boot.

I'll share my pros and cons once I've figured them out.

I browsed the dsmtuners forums and found that the long block is right at about 300-320 pounds. Adding all of the sensors, manifolds, turbo pieces puts the engine in the neighborhood of 420-480 pounds. The transmission is about 150 pounds. These are all dry weights.

Wow, that puts the 4G63 a lot heavier than I thought, possibly even as heavy as the V8.

I had a really hard time sussing out confirmed weights from looking through DSM forums. There were a lot of questions and guesses and a really wide range between them. 480 + 150 is probably the heaviest estimate I've seen though. That's only 60lb or so less than the Chevy.

That's also fully dressed though. I would imagine the lsx motor fully dressed would push well into the 500's plus the transmission is quite a bit heavier and not able to handle the same levels of torque.

One of the things on my cons about the LS is the tranny. It seems like there have been quite a few people with problems with it. There also seems to be someone rebuilding them and modding them to handle more power/torque GM High Performance 4T65E.
I haven't had time to verify that the rebuild/mods take care of the problems, but I'm assuming so.

Still though, the 570-630 for 4G63 combo is several hundred pounds more than I'd been able to estimate from searching forums. It's really hard to tell what people are talking about when they talk weight. At least that LS page I linked was pretty clear.

There's a lot more at: GMLS4.com - Index

Sounds like there are a few known issues with the engine, and a bunch with the tranny. But, the tranny issues appear to be solved w/ a build from TEP. Seems most people doing any performance mods eliminate the DoD and that TapShift is questionable - some like it, some hate it.

I'm guessing 2200 lb is quite optimistic if one were to put the LS4 in the Apex.

My understanding is that the auto and manual Mitsu trannies are the same size, or very close, and therefore would fit fine.

Not sure I see the point though, unless you want a 4G63 w/ automatic.

Sorry, I must be dense, cuz I jest ain't getting where you're goin'.
Leave the front half as a 2G, and flip the GSX AWD over?

Maybe it's because I saw the Hurst Hairy Olds as a kid, but this was the first thing I thought of when Fran released the details of the Apex.

66HHO

More recently, I actually drove Warren Mosler's Twinstar for about 100 miles in 1999 and was going to buy one, but then the Perfect Storm hit, and it's taken until now to recover.

Mosler TwinStar Eldorado - Specialty File - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

Fran, I'm not changing my mind about anything, I'm just in daydreaming mode again. The LS4 and 465-HD are on their way to you.

JR

Ahh, ok I gotcha now! I was actually thinking the other day about how a vehicle with a small engine for each wheel would/could work. Be interesting as far as traction control, no complicated linkages, just computer telling each motor what to do.

Can we surmise that you'll be building the first Apex LS4?

I'm still learning about it and the tranny and will be interested to hear how it goes.

I found a running eclipse for $750. I didn't know they were that cheap. Hmmm

I haven't REALLY looked around, but that's a lot less than my cursory checking found. I need to go boots on the ground locally.

From what I have seen so far there isn't a lot of difference between the GS model and the GS-T or GS-X if you aren't worried about engine. GS could mean a lot cheaper donor. The RS is minus a few things most of us probably would like, so maybe less suitable.

I don't think we've heard yet what the Apex is using for axles, so that could be an important difference between certain donor models.

I was primarily looking for a clean body. If I were to build one of these I wouldn't use the engine from the donor. Still $750 for the core of the car is extremely cheap. Craigslist is your friend.

I was primarily looking for a clean body. If I were to build one of these I wouldn't use the engine from the donor. Still $750 for the core of the car is extremely cheap. Craigslist is your friend.

I agree. I'd either be putting a 6 bolt or the LS4 in it, so engine isn't so important, nor is front or rear end really. As long as the mid section is straight, no rust, and decent shape, it could work.

Back