Superlite GTA

No its not a manual but then its also a factory system that has been proven to work...Dont rule it out too quickly...

So, an obvious quesion is: How hard is it to adapt an Eclipse to a paddle shift type wheel? and will the given auto transmissions be adaptable to this configuration?

I simply hate manual transmssions in performance cars, but am open minded to improved designs that might work well.

From what I've been able to find, Mastershift or Twist Machine paddle shifters would go right in. With an aftermarket wheel of course, but since we're eliminating the factory airbag anyway, a new wheel is in order anyhoo.

Did you mean in your second part that you hate automatics in performance cars?

I'm torn at this point. The only frame of reference I have for a shift-it-yourself auto was some sort of Dodge POS we rented in Hawaii. The shift option was HORRID! The car was quiet and dead feeling, so it was hard to feel the shift points and easy to either go too early or have it sitting on the rev limiter and no longer accelerating. When it did shift it was really jerky.

That was ~15 yrs ago though, so I'm assuming they are better now.

So, an obvious quesion is: How hard is it to adapt an Eclipse to a paddle shift type wheel? and will the given auto transmissions be adaptable to this configuration?

I simply hate manual transmssions in performance cars, but am open minded to improved designs that might work well.

I think you mean "I simply hate AUTOMATIC transmissions in performance cars" but I follow. You don't have to adapt the wheel. They make universal paddle shifters that will fit any steering column and you just run the electronics. None of us but Fran know what the engine bay looks like (hmm hmm) so I cant visualize how everything will sit. I found that people are mating the GM F40 six-speed manual transaxle to the LS4 but it is only rated to 295 TQ so who knows if it would work in an Apex or hold up to higher TQ. So many questions.......

Sitting here on a chilly, rainy, and windy afternoon in between brewing beer and watching football and trying to learn all I can about LS4 and the tranny. Already have a good base of 4g63 knowledge going now. Working up a mental pros/cons list for each.

Oh, and need to find out differences beyond the motor between the RS, GS, and the two turbo models. If the non-turbo is the same interior options, they could be a much cheaper and more available donor.

It might sit like this ...or maybe not....:lipsrsealed:

Attachments

• ls4 movie.jpg
    ls4 movie.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 781
thats not an SLC or an Apex...its a movie car and its wider than both of the aforementioned cars.

But it does show what the LS4 drivetrain looks like out of its OEM home

thats not an SLC or an Apex...its a movie car and its wider than both of the aforementioned cars.

But it does show what the LS4 drivetrain looks like out of its OEM home

Yes I was just going to say, that doesn't 'fit' either of the two... Interesting! Could such a package be used on an SL-C though or, not wide enough?

But the Apex, although not as wide as the mystery aluminum movie chassis shown in the photo, IS wide enough for the LS4 drivetrain...?

JR

John,

Yes but not with the suspension from the SLC though....the movie cars all use the same components for ease of service while on set....hence the reason I said that the unit pictured is too wide.

Oh, I see now, It will sit sideways. Even though it isn't the Apex, thanks for the teaser Fran. I'm not sure if I remember someone asking but will the front or rear clamshell open like the SLC? I would imagine the front to be a lift off.

One of the things I'm interested in as well. Front and rear access will determine how involved future work is once it's all put together.

John,

Yes but not with the suspension from the SLC though....the movie cars all use the same components for ease of service while on set....hence the reason I said that the unit pictured is too wide.

Aha! Should have thought of that! The reason I am so excited about the Apex now with the LS4 drivetrain is that it is sort of a little brother to the SLC with wife-friendly features. Tom is now legally blind and anything he builds for himself has to be piloted by his wife, who is Debbie Downer personified. The Apex would be his chance to get into a world class performance car, something I believe he had resigned himself to never happening.

Got to get busy finding the drivetrain out of a late-model Impala SS now...

JR

OK guys here are some pictures of the preproduction body panels...the wheels are only for mock up but they are 18 front and 19 rear...

Roof height is 49 inches ...a roomy interior and a potential true daily driver

Feels like a mature jap sportscar... like Scion FR-S after it graduated from college.

I'm coming up with a pros/cons of each option and having a hard time finding facts on the 4G63 weight.

The first hit on a Google search for the LS4 came up with this:

478lb engine (dry) and 214lb tranny.
(GM LS4 V8 / 4T65E INFO)

That appears to be anywhere from 200-300lb heavier, so if one wanted to keep a similar P/W ratio, it'd need more horsies to boot.

I'll share my pros and cons once I've figured them out.

Back