Superlite GTA

Thats what I figured. I would be scared that I didn't calibrate the system correctly and have the air bag deploy while going over a bumpy road :drunk:.

Edit: Changed the lower rocker and mirror attach point to try to better match the lower front spoiler color.

uc

Last edited:
Is it still possible to have an airbag deploy in a kit car?

I am sure that it will be possible to switch over all the airbag system components to a kit car, but why? I am pretty sure it isn't legal, and keep in mind, these are "dumb" airbags from the 90's, when airbags were supposed to safe the people who didn't wear seatbelts. If you are buckled up, they explode with more force than you would want so see 12" away from your face! So in most cases (accidents under 30-40mph), they will do MORE damage than if they weren't there in the first place.

If you aren't wearing a seatbelt, then they will help.

I am sure that it will be possible to switch over all the airbag system components to a kit car, but why? I am pretty sure it isn't legal, and keep in mind, these are "dumb" airbags from the 90's, when airbags were supposed to safe the people who didn't wear seatbelts. If you are buckled up, they explode with more force than you would want so see 12" away from your face! So in most cases (accidents under 30-40mph), they will do MORE damage than if they weren't there in the first place.

If you aren't wearing a seatbelt, then they will help.

Ill second this... I was in a bad accident in a dodge 3500 work truck. A guy in a dodge 1500 pulled out in front of me and we hit almost head on, I was doing 55 and never hit the brakes and he never saw me so he was accelerating until impact. I didnt have my seatbelt on but held myself in on the steering wheel. The airbag went off and honestly all it did was piss me off. It was like getting punched in the face harder than any fight I have ever been in but the fist is the size of the steering wheel haha. Gave me a bloody nose and black eye... Anyone considering airbags in their apex should just get some good racing seats, install a harness bar, and put 4 or 5 point harnesses in the car. I had them in my old vr4 and I would only strap the waist straps when cruising around. I got pulled over for it a couple times but when the cop saw that I was in fact strapped in some he let me go. Even with a factory seat belt though you shouldnt need an airbag since the belt will keep you in place.

We already have the front splitter and rear diffuser in carbon you will see them in the photoshoot pics.......I am trying my best to plan ahead

more than just mirrors missing, rear vents, headlights, hood vent... We're all excited guys, but can we at least keep this thread on topic? Have a separate photoshop thread.

No way I can do this $40k or under. This may even be a stretch to get what I want.
Perhaps I missed it, but you should list the goals for your build. Since your numbers generated a lot of conversation, a little clarity on what you're trying to achieve may help.

Perhaps I missed it, but you should list the goals for your build. Since your numbers generated a lot of conversation, a little clarity on what you're trying to achieve may help.

I'm looking to build a weekend driver/track car. I'd like to break 500hp and if I were to try, be able to run 11's. I want a decent powerband. I want the build strong enough to support at least 600hp so I have confidence in the way I want to drive it, not worrying it's gonna go boom. Ohh and I want it to look badass which I think it does. Originally was planning on boring and stroking but since I'm planning on splitting use on the track, I'm planning on running higher rpm. Also I plan on running E85.

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm going to have to cut in and call utter bullshit on the whole airbags being 'worse' at slow speeds, this is utter rubbish and should never be spread around.

Everyone complains about how they were hurt because of the airbags and not stopping for one second to realise how much MORE hurt they'd be in if they didn't have them at all.

When you use your steering wheel properly (this is probably where 40% people fail), have your seat positioned correct (this is probably where another 40% fail) and actually use your damn seat belt (where probably the other 20% fail and I just cannot fathom why people don't want to wear something that significantly increases your chances of survival, much like wearing a motorbike helmet), then the airbag will do its job correctly.

People seem to be under the impression that airbags make an accident pleasant (they don't) and that they will prevent all injuries (they don't). That being said I'm not sure I'd want to mess around with the airbag system in a car, unless everything can be kept without disturbing any component of the system, I'd just remove it completely.

I'm sorry but this subject annoys me as much as people who say seat belts or helmets are more dangerous. Rubbish, utter rubbish.

Sorry but I'm going to have to cut in and call utter bullshit on the whole airbags being 'worse' at slow speeds, this is utter rubbish and should never be spread around.

Everyone complains about how they were hurt because of the airbags and not stopping for one second to realise how much MORE hurt they'd be in if they didn't have them at all.

When you use your steering wheel properly (this is probably where 40% people fail), have your seat positioned correct (this is probably where another 40% fail) and actually use your damn seat belt (where probably the other 20% fail and I just cannot fathom why people don't want to wear something that significantly increases your chances of survival, much like wearing a motorbike helmet), then the airbag will do its job correctly.

People seem to be under the impression that airbags make an accident pleasant (they don't) and that they will prevent all injuries (they don't). That being said I'm not sure I'd want to mess around with the airbag system in a car, unless everything can be kept without disturbing any component of the system, I'd just remove it completely.

I'm sorry but this subject annoys me as much as people who say seat belts or helmets are more dangerous. Rubbish, utter rubbish.

i agree, and i cant stand when car people, car enthusiasts, REFUSING to wear seat belts because they believe its manly or cool or just plain gross negligence.

As a car enthusiasts you are supposed to have a very basic knowledge of physics.

Eddie

i agree, and i cant stand when car people, car enthusiasts, REFUSING to wear seat belts because they believe its manly or cool or just plain gross negligence.

As a car enthusiasts you are supposed to have a very basic knowledge of physics.

Eddie

I agree with you both but you don't need to understand physics to know that wearing your seat belt is a smart decision!! I learned my lesson in the accident I was in. At the time in indiana you didn't have to wear your seat belt in trucks so I never did. Once I hit an oncoming truck at 55 with no seatbelt on I counted my blessings that I only had cuts from glass. My arms and shoulders were stupid sore from bracing myself off the steering wheel. In my case I didn't need the airbag as I held myself in place, but the old man riding with me was air born from the impact and the passenger airbag threw him back into the seat. Without it he would have went thru the windshield. Looking back its funny because he his this coffee mug that was older than me(23 years old) and he loved it. When we finally came to a stop all he was holding onto was the handle of the mug, the airbag destroyed the rest of it haha, God was definitely watching over us that day though because we both walked away. Easily could have both died, the other guys truck hit our torch cabinet with two big bottles of oxygen with 3500 psi in them and a big bottle of propane... Could have been catastrophic.

Good, I also forgot to mention the other suggestion that airbags were designed for people who don't wear seat beats is perhaps the most scariest suggestion I have ever seen in my life......... no no no no no..... no.

So long as Fran says that the car can be built without disturbing any of the airbag components (with the battery disconnected!!!) then I'd be inclined to leave them in there if you didn't mind the steering wheel.

Back