Superlite GTA

The more I think about it, the more I'm interested to see how everything is set up on the 4G63 (well actually both engines for that matter). I'm starting to think that a forward facing manifold on this car might be preferable. This makes the cool side pipe naturally to the side where the intercooler will conceivably be located and the hot side pipes toward the ground (I think this is the direction it faces) where the exhaust would be....just a thought.

Before you guys get carried away with fancy manifolds and headers, keep in mind that ported stock manifolds are capable of 600-700 WHP! You really do not need to upgrade it until you just MUST use a turbo that can't fit in stock location.

This goes back to the discussion of how much you are looking to spend. If you go out of your way, you make this project MUCH more expensive!

On a 2g Eclipse, isn't the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine? If so, it would still face the same direction and end up between the block and the passenger compartment.

On a 2g Eclipse, isn't the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine? If so, it would still face the same direction and end up between the block and the passenger compartment.

to the best of my knowledge i believe this is how its probably going to have to be...

see everyone is hung up on the whole use a 1g motor thing because they are better this and that.... but my plan since day one of seeing this (apex gta) was to use a 2g transmission fwd preferably for simplicity (not strenght) and an evo motor for exactly the above quoted reason.

both motors turn the same way but one will have the exhaust manifold opposite the other irrelevant of their rotation.

conversely if you'd like to use the 1g motor with the exhaust manifold towards the back then yes you can flip it but you'd have to use a non intermediate shaft mitsubishi (matching bolt pattern or similar) transmission. the non intermediate shaft transmisions are newer ones like in the lancer raliarts and such. or a fwd converted evo transmission.

Eddie.

I think we need to see the layout of the rear of the car before trying to figure out the configuration options. Having the turbo farther back would help with heat but if there is ample room between the firewall and manifold then it might be ok tucked in tight up there but until we can see the pictures of the engine in there we are playing a guessing game!

I wonder if you can just put EVO4+ head on 1G/2G block and get what you are looking for?

i believe you can and it is possible someone did in australia on an evo 3 or something like that... look for images of the car i believe it had the turbo in the passenger compartment past the firewall. might be a pain due to matching up oil holes coolant holes so on and so forth. but that would be a lot easier and you can save on an adapter plate for the transmission (if one were needed).

black evo by the way full cage might be a drag car.

Eddie

Last edited:
I think we need to see the layout of the rear of the car before trying to figure out the configuration options. Having the turbo farther back would help with heat but if there is ample room between the firewall and manifold then it might be ok tucked in tight up there but until we can see the pictures of the engine in there we are playing a guessing game!

I'll definitely wait but i've worked on an mr2 and it wasn't fun. the good thing about this car from what i see on the available images is that the entire rear of the car will be assigned to engine/drivetrain compartment and there isn't any interest for luggage anywhere.

fran stated previously there would be a front and rear luggage space

"Front and rear luggage compartments are incorporated into the design. ..sorry not golf club caddy size but certainly making the car an everyday machine"

As I see it, the main benefit of swapping intake/exhaust sides would be for maintenance access. It is ridiculously easy to swap turbos on DSMs because turbo is right there, in the front of the engine! Intake can be a PITA to replace (because of proximity to the firewall), but you almost never have to do it. This will be reversed on the Apex ;)

I guess, you are right, we should wait and see what the maintenance access is looking like.

fran stated previously there would be a front and rear luggage space

"Front and rear luggage compartments are incorporated into the design. ..sorry not golf club caddy size but certainly making the car an everyday machine"
ah ok well lets see how the final images look. who knows perhaps theres a removable hatch on the rear bulkhead??

I was not envisioning how there could be a rear hatch (at least of decent size)...until I saw this. Looking at the space here (granted a fiero) not sure the intercooler/radiators would fit on the side. May have to do something similar. We'll have to wait and see.....

Fiero w/ 4g63 Swap - CRN: Colorado Racing Network

You can see how close the turbo in this case is to the firewall.

Last edited:
ah ok well lets see how the final images look. who knows perhaps theres a removable hatch on the rear bulkhead??

I think Fran said earlier that the hatch will open and be removable but the body wont be able to come off so to pull the engine we will have to pull the subframe out and drop it all from the bottom. If that is true it doesnt matter how we setup the engine/turbo and piping. It would probably just be easier to drop the whole assembly and do the maintenance needed with it all out.

Back