Superlite GTA

That's a problem too Justin, but I could've been in the boat to actually get one. I never got that far because there hasn't been a single one completed and driving around. We've never even seen under the skin. I wanted to see some details and I was definitely not going to be the guinea pig since I've never built a car before.

FWIW - I'm 44, own my house, kid in college, so I'm potentially the target market. Instead I got my FR-S. It's fun, but it would've been more rewarding if I'd built it.

Clearly Fran sunk a lot of $ in this to get it as far as it got. I agree with Justin that the kit car market is just damn tough and I would argue never really recovered and probably will not in the near future either from the recession. The donor's are getting old for sure and harder to find a clean copy to start from. All in all, I applaud the attempt and the idea of using an existing shell, but this one might just be too tough.

For all who are questioning kit car market viability, just take a quick look at 818! They are selling ALL they can build with a huge wait list! I am not going to mention the looks, as those are subjective, but 818 is much more of a “toy” car, than Apex, but basically cost the same money!

The problem is that I am not sure Fran is ready to produce kits in much higher quantities than what he is used to. This can be a huge money maker, but… one mistake and it could end up as a big loss!

As for DSM donors, a lot of you are looking for the wrong cars, you need a clean, rust free shell, which can be a non-turbo model and those are still plentiful in the southern states, where cars do not rust as fast as they do in a snow belt.

Last edited:
There are tons of turbo and non-turbo donor cars out there. I am part of several DSM FB groups and I see them for sale every single day. They range from $400 up to 2-3k depending on what all is included with it. I do wish that Fran decides to make them soon so I can get one. I have had my 97 GSX since 99 and am ready for something different.

I still visit this thread about once a week. It's nice to see Fran post in it again. I won't be in the market for a while if the Apex is a go, but I most certainly will be watching and contemplating a future build.

Mr. Wolfe

I go through phases with cars but this is one of a few that I always seem to come back to. The question will be the price when it does make it to market. I hope it doesn't go up too much from the original estimate.

The weekend is never over...

Ran out of time to put the post up on facebook..its coming don't worry.

Its drivetrain related btw. and also about the future of the Apex

Tease...you lead me no choice but to speculate wildly
Drivetrain related makes me think a new engine option although I'd love for it to be about awd being an option. It also makes me think about the longitudinal v8 option that the potential buyer wanted.
A month ago, I would have said someone was 100% going to buy the project. Now I'm not so sure though. You're killing us, Fran.

Last edited:
killing me Fran. I started looking on Craigslist again for Eclipse. I had two others I almost bought for $400 $500 each. but I passed on them because of the status of the project. well I started a major home project(s) so I think I will wait and see how a build or two go if it make it to the market. but I am interested.

Well guys
My Facebook sidekick has been super busy.
So I will give you a brief overview of whats happening with more details to follow
I have listened and polled many people on these topics
The APEX is staying with us
The drivetrain is now a longitudinal one with lots if tuning potential and a low entry price
No V8 though as we are about 2inches short on the firewall
There is going to an entry levels price that any will find very appealing
Production of bodies is underway so we have inventory in stock to keep lead times down to an absolute minimum
More to come

Last edited:
Well, changing the engine orientation was certainly a direction I didn't expect changes to. Seems like this could definitely make the package a little more costly...(unless a longitudinal 4G63 is an option?!?!). Since I know Fran isn't going to spill the beans yet, how about how many engine options are going to be offered?

The engine family choice also includes the use of a matching transaxle
It will actually reduce the cost of the drivetrain over the 4g63
There are multiple engines in the engine family from 4cyl an to v6 and turbos
Thus will also open up the choice of talon/ eclipse as the drivetrain will have no bearing on the choice of donor

Back