Superlite GTA

I noticed the Evo was flipped, just wasn't sure if the Apex could be set up for that from the get go.

I'm figuring I wouldn't be keeping the engine from the donor anyway. I was thinking the GS might be a good option - cheaper than GST or GSX. If the entire engine is being swapped out anyway and only the cabin section kept, sell off the 420A, tranny, and all of the other Eclipse stuff not needed.

Edit: I should add that I'm assuming there will be a need to have some mount options even for the DSM. I recall reading the mounts are different from 6 bolt to 7 bolt engine/tranny. So we would need to specify which type for the Apex, right?

Good point. I keep skipping ECU and that's probably the part I least want to hassle with issues.

I think where I am is the donor 7 bolt won't be kept. I like the LS4, but not sure about the tranny option. So that leaves 6 bolt 4G63. Since it'll be so old and going in a new car, I'd probably want to have it torn down and completely built fresh and clean. Tearing it down makes me wonder if the 2.3 stroker would be a good way to go?

I was thinking going w the Evo might avoid having to tear it down since it'd be mid-2000's instead of early 90's. sounds like its more hassle than its worth.

Without getting too far off topic, you can do either a 7 or 6 bolt and be just fine. I've already talked to several experienced engine builders and they all agree the 7 bolt is just fine unless you are going with an absolutely wild build. Adapting the 6 bolt to a 7 bolt is also not just a direct swap. There are several "gotchas" that ultimately add up to more $$$.

A compound turbo setup (or large single) putting 600 to the wheels (pavement will be a different story) can run on a well built 7 bolt all day up to 8000rpm. Rough estimates put that type of power in the 10k (ish) range with tranny build, turbo upgrades, custom piping, custom tuning. If you're a DIY'er, you could cut that down quite a bit and have an absolute beast hp/lbs ratio for cheap.

A lot of turbo setup possibilities are going to depend on the available space in the engine area. I can't tell from any pictures how tight it's going to be in there. If there's a decent amount of room, the 4G63 can put up some amazing numbers for good prices.

The suspense is killing us!

I want to see it done and also under the bodywork how everything fits and some details of the usual RCR cool stuff.

I know RCR is probably in the mess of moving or something, but is there anything new on this baby?

I've resorted to perusing the FF818 forum. Still not a fan of the car, but lots of activity going on there. I do like what they are doing with various partners (donor pallets and the like).

And there was a video of it running and it sounded pretty good even with the Scooby power.

working hard on all aspects but I am not a fan of fluff for fluffs sake....sorry.

I am waiting until we have the carbon accent options completed and ready to offer too...

First impressions really do count...

Thanks Fran. Being in manufacturing, I can understand not releasing too much until it's ready for prime time (we've had that issue and boy can it cause problems).

I think we're all just excited. I can't wait to see the carbon bits you mention. I can picture the right accents to really set off the look and feel of the car.

Any "first impressions" available for us to pine over??? On a very positive note Fran, it must feel satisfying to design and build products we just can't wait to see. :shocked:

OK...I can tell you we have now made the front splitter, side skirts and rear diffuser cover independent from the main body.
This will allow repair parts to be much easier to change, it will also allow individual painted or carbon parts to be a simpler option.

There are a few things we have seen that differ from one DSM to another...these cars were designed and produced before CAD/CAM was implemented for the total build of a car, hence we are making a few tweeks to the mounting flanges on our panels to allow for repeatability taking the DSM variations into account.
More to follow....

I was curious as how the original body panels are to be removed and what to keep in regards to the acessory portion of the engine harness?

I found 2 6bolt motors recently in the jy capable of rebuilding and several 2g eclipse cars. Iam tempted to gather a engine/acc harness or some other hard to find parts that wll be needed later on in this build....

Back