Superlite GTA

There are two large vents on the side of the car, two ducts on behind the doors on the side of the car and two large vents on the front of the car....

Hmmmm....So room for a twin turbo LS4 - twin intercooler vented on the sides??? Radiator in the front. Like the gearz SLC.

And what trans would you plan on using..? wink

touche...a 4G63 one!! wink wink

I think twin anything (except maybe compound turbos) is going to be exceptionally difficult plumbing wise on a transverse engine. Easy enough on the SLC or something like a GTR where each side is more or less the same. (v or flat engines that is).

Are you guys doing dual intercoolers on the 46g3 setup? I'm sure this would be easier said then done!! I'm not even sure if the engine bay is visible (e.g. window) if so I would not want the intercooler sitting on top of the engine.

Last edited:
I've read very few good things about the attempts at twin turbos with the 4G63. Bored/stroked and higher compression with smaller size turbos could increase exhaust gas enough to spool up two turbos (but not better then a single large turbo). Custom manifolds wouldn't be cheap either It would certainly look cool.

Something like this but with 4 cylinders and an intercooler on each side.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/Turbo_Parallel_BMW.jpg

Too bad there doesn't seem to be Transmission options for the LS4 that can handle higher torque. Looks like 400lbs is pushing it.

About the A2W intercoolers, remember that a lot of factory supercharged cars are A2W intercoolers like the Corvette ZR1...

The weight comes from the water but if it can be tied into the same coolant system as the engine block (I'm not sure if this is possible) then, there isn't any more 'weight' than a normal A2A system, in fact you may even have less since you don't have a intercooler quite as large as an A2A intercooler.

Corvette... yet ANOTHER example of a car not designed with intercooler in mind...

Other components of water/air IC:

Water pump
Tank
Extra heat exchanger (to dump the heat).

99% of OEM applications are air/air.

Last edited:
Corvette... yet ANOTHER example of a car not designed with intercooler in mind...

Other components of water/air IC:

Water pump
Tank
Extra heat exchanger (to dump the heat).

99% of OEM applications are air/air.

Again, if the coolant in the A2W system is shared with the engine coolant, you don't need all that extra stuff and I'm not sure what you mean by 'another example of a car not designed with an intercooler in mind'.

Again, most factory supercharged engines are A2W, ZR1 being one, MOST if not all of the supercharged Jaguars being another.

Engine coolant temps are in the 180-220*F range.

Desired intercooled air temps are ~20-30* above ambient (80-100*F).

So the two are not in the same realm.

Factory supercharges usually run under 10psi and do not produce am much heat as a turbo would at 20-30psi. So you can get away with "sub-standard", water/air intercooling.

Fair enough, to a certain extent however, calling the those systems 'sub-standard' is either wrong or misleading. They work perfectly fine and they continue to work perfectly fine for all those that use them, even in those situations that are 'out of spec', i.e. where they have been tuned for more power.

I'll enjoy my simpler air to air setup with a quick spooling small frame on my 4g63 Apex. Speaking of those side vents. A side mounted and fairly thick core would be plenty sufficient. This leaves the other side for an oil cooler and radiator.

Obviously there are lots of variables here, but FWIW, having had a car with both air-air and air-water intercooling (at different times, both from the same manufacturer), air-air was clearly better.

There are fewer packaging constraints with air-water, but I found it more restrictive to the inlet. Having to have a coolant pump (and tank) is also another point of failure. Air-air is inherently simpler, but requires more space. From what I've seen, it tends to be preferred when there is space or really high boost / power is needed.

Anyway, you pay your money and take your choice.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
For a LS4 install, what controller would be used? It will be challenging to mate the efi and transmission harnesses from an Impala SS or Grand Prix with the Eclipse harness. Are there aftermarked computers that will handle a displacement on demand engine?

Fran the money I used to make the down payment on my first house was from buying and selling (wheeling/dealing) DSM's.

You cannot even imagine the beautifully sculpted tall about 300 ft high glossy fresh polished bronze statue of a dollar symbol that this thread means for me.

I just found out about this project two days ago. And minutes ago I finished reading all your posts. I felt like I was watching an action movie and all was lost when you made the no go post, I almost cried lol, but then I read 14k price, basically gold.

I always thought of relocating the motor on a 2g and figured it would look cool enough, but this is just unimaginable. I never even thought a guy like you would even know about dsms.

Just think of all the people looking at the stis, wrxs, 818s, focus sts, even evos, and so many other options for the true prospective buyer that will hands down no questions asked opt for THIS CAR the apex gta. Even the name is awesome.

I seriously thought this was it for me with DSM's im 29 and my girlfriend and I are planning on getting married we were going to buy a house on a lake and just enjoy the boat every now and then. But I cant resist at least to try to build one of these. And how perfect is it that the competition for a 4g63 powered car like this is going to be wrongrx powered thing. Keeping the mitsu vs subaru fun alive. Ive been into these cars for a long time and this is the best news ive heard I thought it was all over for the 4g63 since mitsu changed the motor and announced the end of the evo.

With all my excitement out of the way I have a few questions.

1. So i'll definitely build my self one and of course try to sell it but how is the resale market for component/kit cars?
2. Does anyone have any experience with registration in the state of Connecticut?
3. The cost for a whole 1 off billett/aluminum suspension ala SLC with the monoblock calipers?
4. Cost of engine brackets?
5. Will the kit come with an engine harness extension? If not no big deal just wondering.
6. Exhaust system and intercooler system?
7. Total car weight?
8. A/c possible?
9. Coilover price?

BTW the suspension system/brake setup that you make for the slc, that style of setup will be a major selling point/factor.

Oh and further more you might know the guy but the original designer that won the company competition for the basic 2g look is Emile Bouret I think he works for ferrari now. But anyways I met him once in california about 11 years ago. I was there with a local speed shop for a magazine sanctioned competition that we took a 1gb making 500hp and 500Tq to. He promised me he would send me reprints of his original entries, he did, and I believe you will appreciate them ill post as soon as I get back from a drs apt.

Eddie Rosado

For a LS4 install, what controller would be used? It will be challenging to mate the efi and transmission harnesses from an Impala SS or Grand Prix with the Eclipse harness. Are there aftermarked computers that will handle a displacement on demand engine?

First PROPERLY SETUP 4G63 Apex will spell the end of all this LS4 talk... Just saying... ;)

But Eclipse harness is pretty specific to engine operation, if you are not using a Mitsu engine (again: BIG MISTAKE! ;)), you should be able to remove it.

You might have some issues with the instrument cluster, but that isn't a harness issue.

And Eddie, there isn't really Mitsu vs. Subaru rivalry... Every time they try to make such events, it isn't even close to call it fun! ;)

Back