Superlite GTA

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
That's a great way to buy the suspension package, that's exactly how I have purchased them.
Most of those parts will be used on the Apex

Do you for see adding one of your custom billet suspension options for the apex or there just isn't enough advantage over what the the corvette package would do for the cost?

Fran, two questions regarding accessibility to the engine in the Apex, mainly to figure out the order of upgrades upfront vs down the road.

1. Can a head swap be done without dropping the engine (I assume so, but I realize it could be tricky with the space)?

2. On the 2.7t where the turbos are on the bottom rear of the engine, in the apex seems like the turbos will be much more accessible in the back of the car, but given the space above the trans is likely used for gas tank etc. is it likely that turbos can be removed/changed without dropping the engine?

That way, budget wise, you could build up the block, exhaust/intake system, fuel system, first then swap in upgraded head and turbos later without removing engine.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Scott,

major engine service will be primarily from below ...you may be able to do a headswap from below too without dropping the drivetrain as there is a lot of room.

I don't suggest doing much if anything major from above.

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Call and make an appointment and come to the shop.

Justin, refresh my memory , was it you that said you wanted to copy the subframes ? Maybe in chromoly?

Call and make an appointment and come to the shop.

Justin, refresh my memory , was it you that said you wanted to copy the subframes ? Maybe in chromoly?

I asked about it for weight savings for my own car, not to steal the design. I have enough on my plate as is with trying to keep our business in the black:)

When will the "California Dealer" have something to look at? It's not really feasible for us to travel thousands of miles to see it. Why don't you PM me a nondisclosure agreement then some pics!!:lipsrsealed: Not to be sarcastic or anything...but when people start building there will be pics everywhere. Seems inevitable. How about something not requested yet...a quick video of it driving up the street. No secrets revealed :smart:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I agree but when the guy that's asking the loudest is also the one talking about replicating its not very cool really....

CLP will have a couple of Apex kits pretty soon actually.

There will be lots to see pretty soon on the APEX don't worry

I can't stay away :) Does anyone know if it would be possible to fit the 4g63 to the vw trans axle via custom plate or housing?

Maybe If there were some more specs on the length of the vw engine package then it would be possible to compare to some 4g63/trans options.. I know Billfab auto has some solutions.

It didn't look like a lot of substructure in some of the early spy shots. I would think if there was anything significant to be gained with chromo, Fran would have built it that way to begin with?

Jeff-

It didn't look like a lot of substructure in some of the early spy shots. I would think if there was anything significant to be gained with chromo, Fran would have built it that way to begin with?

Jeff-

Yeah I was thinking about that too, going from factory stamped out pieces to tube frame is where there is a lot of weight savings. Minimal from mild steel to chromoly, sorry Fran!

Can someone enlighten me on how to find donor cars as cheap as Fran is describing. As an example I like the idea of buying a rear collision Audi S4. I've been looking on auction sites like Copart. I can find tons but they aren't open to the public and second the fees by themselves are like 500-700 before even the bid price. The cheap cars on craigslist seem to be the ones that have engine problems, not crashed necessarily. Same on ebay, am I looking in the wrong place?

Wow, 2-1/2 years have passed since my last post on this car and havn't really been paying attention and a lot has happened... to both me and the Apex.

Engine is now in the both the correct location AND orientation (for my taste) and using VW/Audi combo that doesn't need adaptors (Thank you, it's about time someone did that for a car I'm interested in, can drive daily and can afford)

A little disappointed in the no V8 though. Yep I'm old school at 50 and grew up stuffing big block Chevy and Ford engines in places they didn't fit... Hmmm I only need a couple extra inches to stuff in a V8 and I have a MIG welder, TIG welder, torches, plasma cutter, grinders and a BFH... Here, hold my beer and watch this LOL.

Time to make an appointment to visit RCR to take a look at her. I see myself parting with a wad of hard earned cash to check one more item off my bucket list very soon.

Back