Superlite GTA

Thanks for the info about the V6. If I decide to go the V6 with the Apex it will be the VR6...however I also like the comment about not liking to do all the plumbing either with the v8...something I never really thought of. I really wish I could see (pix or footage) what type of work will go into putting one of these together from start to finish. It seems frustrating that a new and amazing product like this that is supposed to be released on sale and there is really no significant building information (aside from blog talk) to allow buyers to more appropriately make up their minds. There is nothing on the SL-C site either (aside from the BLOG section). Anyone know if any other site (here or elsewhere) where the builder is documenting their Apex build? If Fran could document his build with companies Apex build that would be sweet!!! Do you know if Fran has started a thread like that?
***I really hope I didn't offend anyone I'm really just trying to gauge and feel out what build (SLC or Apex) I would like to do. Thanks again everyone!!!

--George

To my knowledge there was a build log started for the first outside car but that was before the changes to VW/Audi and it didn't make it past disassembly of the eclipse. Fran hasn't posted a build log but hopefully the purchase of the car includes something similarly detailed. Facebook seems to be the place where most updates are posted first by Superlite. To my knowledge the only Apex around is the grey shop car and it likely was built with a 4G63.

I have to agree with you that it is disappointing to not be able to see more and have to make a purchase based on faith (or a plane ticket). But I'm sure the details will be posted when it's available. That being said there isn't a whole lot available from the company for any of their offerings in the way of detailed pictures or videos (when compared to an obvious "competitor"). Yes plenty of people have posted GT40 and SLC build logs so you have the chance to see them in detail as we would like to see the APEX. I'm not sure we will see much more until people take delivery and build logs start (nobody has posted expected shipment dates either). In the end I'd rather have a well engineered, low production, high quality, and poorly advertised car then a poorly engineered, high production, low quality, well advertised car (like said competitor)...so we wait.

Hands down I'd be building the GTR if it were an option.

Hands down I'd be building the GTR if it were an option.

I just loved the concept of a kit using a cheap(ish) FWD car, moving the drivetrain to the back and using mostely stock, easy to find parts to build up a neat, fun mid engine car at a low cost. I certainly understand why the Apex project evolved in this way.

I am also completely taken in with the GTR. So my future projects are starting to slide around to make that possible at some point. I close on my new home in FL 4/28 that has a 4-car Garage/Barn. This was a big part of the plan, to allow space for current cars and a new project build.

I still follow this thread, but my sights are on the GTR

I am not aware of the total counts but my Apex was shipped from RCR end of last week. I should have it by Friday this week.

I already have all other donor parts and had already cut-up the eclipse in January.

Will be using a v8 and G50 transaxle.

I am not aware of the total counts but my Apex was shipped from RCR end of last week. I should have it by Friday this week.

I already have all other donor parts and had already cut-up the eclipse in January.

Will be using a v8 and G50 transaxle.

Really excited to see what everything looks like. I knew you had started cutting up the eclipse but for some reason I thought yours was the one in the shop getting the additional rollcage but now I forget who's that is. Would be cool to see someone get a roller so we can see how everything comes together. But It seems like you're pretty motivated, so I'm sure you'll get there in no time. Good luck...can't wait to see pics.

Is the full kit shipping or are there pieces of the kit that will follow?

Last edited:
I knew you had started cutting up the eclipse but for some reason I thought yours was the one in the shop getting the additional rollcage but now I forget who's that is. Is the full kit shipping or are there pieces of the kit that will follow?

Yes, mine was in the shop getting the additional tubing (roll cage). The kit is being shipped complete. Only pieces needed are the ones not included.

Hoping to pick up at carrier terminal Friday. Assume all goes well, should be able to post some picks of the various larger pieces early next week.

Really need an Apex builders thread to post on. This one is getting longgggg.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hoping to pick up at carrier terminal Friday. Assume all goes well, should be able to post some picks of the various larger pieces early next week.

Are you the first to receive one of the Apex "kits"?

I posted at the beginning of this incredibly long thread...haven't posted much recently but have kept up with reading the other posts. The eventual product is not much like the original concept with the Mitsu 4GC engine...but I think that an LS is an INCREDIBLE idea!

Cheers!

Doug

The Apex is NOT a track/race car....It is very stout and well built but its design intent was NEVER to be a track car...we build lots of those in all shapes and sizes already.

Steven has the first of the V8 package shipped, we have two more in process at the shop..

We are getting zero interest in the 4 cylinder since we started down the V8 path...strange as I have been here before...the SLC was originally a modular 4 cylinder subframe that was removable and a V8 one could be installed in its place...

"great idea" was the general consensus but with zero sold in 12 months , I redesigned the chassis and low and behold V8 only and boom....hotcakes.

I guess I should have not wasted my time with the 4 cylinder variant at all...we would have been here 18 months earlier...haha

can't wait to see pics like the others as well. as for 4/6/8 engines, I think it comes down to you if you're going through all the effort to build it, might as well get a v8 :) they are cheaper, get more power and easier to tune/work on especially the LS variants.

now if you only figured out the formula for how to make a cost effective transaxle :pepper:, too bad the griffen box never came to fruition...

The G96/01 is very affordable...can be bought for 2k or less and will be fine up to 450hp...ALL the Need for speed cars we built were beaten hard and not one broke a transaxle...with 430hp LS3's.

They are out there...but you cant have all the bells and whistles, lsd, oil pump and major power capability for low $$$....

Griffin is still alive , its going to come in at $9-10k.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The Apex is NOT a track/race car....It is very stout and well built but its design intent was NEVER to be a track car...we build lots of those in all shapes and sizes already.

Steven has the first of the V8 package shipped, we have two more in process at the shop..

My interest in the Apex was always as a high-performance street car, not a track car. If I were interested in a track car, I'd most likely build one that was purpose built in the first place. That way I would expect track safety to have been one of the design parameters.

I hope Steven will post a build thread...like this very highly trafficked thread, I'd bet that a build thread would generate some intense interest.

Cheers, Fran!! Here's hoping you have another huge hit on your hands!

Doug

While I understand exactly what you are saying, Miata's, corvette's, 911's, and Evo's weren't designed as track cars either yet alot of people use them on the track. Are you saying those cars would be better suited for the track then the APEX?

I also intended the car primarily for street use, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to take it to the track now and then. Unless as you are saying that would be a bad idea...in which case I would reconsider my build. Thanks.

Cheers
The GT-R is already taking that moniker of next big hit but let's hope guys enjoy the Apex too
Scott you said NASA and SCCA compliant , they are race sanctioning bodies , track days requirements are very different

Last edited:
Cheers
The GT-R is already taking that moniker of next big hit but let's hope guys enjoy the Apex too
Scott you said nasa and scca , they are race sanctioning bodies not track days , very very different

Yes, because it would be fun to enter an event or two a year...but I'm not talking about running 24 hour races and super unlimited here. There are all types of racing classes and track events done by those two sanctioning bodies that wouldn't require a full blown race car. They have Honda, Miata, E30 even an FF class.

I'd love to build a GT-R or SLC but I don't have the extra $30k it'll take. So which offering at @$40k makes a good street car first and decent track day car second. I thought that would've been the APEX.

In the past had considered an LS1 240Z swap. In CA it's either going to be kit or pre-1975.

Last edited:
Scott
To run Miata, E30, FFR etc with NASA or SCCA it does require the car to be a race car, it's not just a street car with sticky tires.
The tech rules for running the 25hr /SU are essentially the same as running any wheel to wheel event with NASA
It requires fuel cell,Race cage built to spec,Safety equipment

I don't want to assume you have not raced or prepared a car for racing before , but what experience do you have in these areas?

If you want us to build you a track car them we can but it will not be stock in spec and price.

Last edited:
Back