Superlite Roadster....

Jac....maybe I left it in YOUR sheep....

BT..the engine is already in the chassis ......its a super clean engine package.,,.you scored bigtime.

BT..the engine is already in the chassis ......its a super clean engine package.,,.you scored bigtime.

Way cool!
I think the engine is going to stay stock internally and just go for an aftermarket intake, header, exhaust, and a Comptech supercharger (unless the Rotrex is available soon). That should be close to 300 crank HP, plenty for the weight of the car IMHO.
:stunned:
BT

Hope to have a demo SL-R here in Australia in April.

Currently looking for suitable engine choices.

Lancer Evo(Eclipse,Galant) 4G63 Turbo 2lt DOHC engine looks attractive for ADR 37/01 emissions.

The 4G63 is readily available, well priced and has been produced over quite a few years. Front cuts start at around AU$2500.

It's not too difficult to plate over the AWD output.

The engines cope well with the lack of oil changes/lack of servicing that is common with jap imports.

There is an abundant of aftermarket parts & tuning knowledge.

The Honda engines are also attractive, but from experience they really need to be well serviced for longevity & reliability and that just doesn't happen with a lot of jap imports.

Hi Craig,
Congrats on being the RCR Aussie distributor.
Can't wait to see a SLR up close. Should give quite a few clubmans a scare as well as give an overpriced molecule a kick up the.... (Its rumored to be about $100k AU landed and ADR'ed.)

In Vic ADR 37/01 runs out at the end of this year so you may only get track SLR's instead of registered cars if you only use 37/01 engines.

Here's a thought, what about using a really common 4 from a toyota corrolla (now 2ltrs) or for something with more torque like a Euro Honda Accord 2.4ltr. These motors may not have the grunt of a civic type S or R motor but they would be alot more common and should be a lot cheaper too. Nothing a blower can't fix later for more power, just ask Lotus! From recently going through the rego process for an ICV in Vic, it's alot easier if you can say to your engineer something like, "It's a late model Euro4 motor from a (insert car here)". Then the engineer takes a photo of the motor and ECU and ticks a box. In Vic they hate surprises or anything else that requires them to actually do some work (and charge you like a wounded bull for doing it). Likewise when it comes to chassis testing, if you can provide the chassis drawings and testing then the process it alot easier or else they will test it and charge the customer for it. Going through engineering of my Cobra was consequently pretty straight forward (in Vic) as I used a late model motor that complied with 37/01 and the engineer had previously tested the chassis of my kit manufacturer so he didn't have to test mine and charge me for it. I know the VASS engineers are a pretty close bunch and they will/have previously exchanged drawings and testing results.

Good luck with it all!!

Thanks Al for the kind words and advice.

I've been busy working on approval for the SL-R here in Australia. The kits will be provided with all compliant parts and also suitable body & chassis test results that are acceptable Aus wide. The custoimer will also be provided with all the relevant ADR documentation and I will have a list of recommended engineers in each state that are familiar with the vehicle and requirements for registration.

For the engine options below the customer can order chassis that are already setup with all appropriate mounts and provided with suitable bolt-up axles.

For states that are still 37/01 emissions(QLD, WA, SA, NT) the best value engine option in my books is the early 90's Mitsubishi 4G63 2lt turbo engine. They are cheap, plentiful, strong, reliable with wide range of cheap go fast bits available. For 37/01 you could also use USA spec SRT-4, Honda or Ecotec.

For NSW & VIC we are looking at 79/01(Euro 3) engine choices and will have at least one factory supported option. The kits are already setup and will aceept either late model Aussie Ecotecs, late model Aussie Civic Type R engines. I'm currently looking for the best factory supported option for these states, which may require looking at other late model engines or require me to invest in emissions documentation for imported engine choices. I want to provide the best value option I can to keep build costs as low as possible. Customers can always opt for more expensive drivetrains but it is essential I can provide a suitable budget option. Out of interest VIC does still allow 79/00 engines.

For track cars Aus wide, I think the 4G63 turbo is the best value option. We can currently source very cheap new turbos and other suitable go fast parts for these engines.

Thanks for the tips on the Honda K24 & Toyota 1ZZ-FE engines. They are certainly on the list.

There are already half a dozen SL-R ordered for Aus. With the first one arriving in approx. 4 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Wow Craig! You're certainly further down the ADR path than I gave you credit for. :embarassed:

Vic uses a three year grace period for changes in emmissions. Euro 3 finished on 31/12/06, from memory. That would allow Euro 3 engines to be used until 31/12/09. Also to avoid anything more than the basic idle and 75% rpm of max power rpm emmission tests, the engine needs to be from an Australian vehicle. My engineer wouldn't touch crate motors.

That's great news about engines and preferred engineers. It will make it a lot easier and cheaper to register.

With a few deposits already down I guess now might be an appropriate time to enquire about the purchase price?

Thanks Al for the kind words and advice.

I've been busy working on approval for the SL-R here in Australia. The kits will be provided with all compliant parts and also suitable body & chassis test results that are acceptable Aus wide. The custoimer will also be provided with all the relevant ADR documentation and I will have a list of recommended engineers in each state that are familiar with the vehicle and requirements for registration.

For the engine options below the customer can order chassis that are already setup with all appropriate mounts and provided with suitable bolt-up axles.

For states that are still 37/01 emissions(QLD, WA, SA, NT) the best value engine option in my books is the early 90's Mitsubishi 4G63 2lt turbo engine. They are cheap, plentiful, strong, reliable with wide range of cheap go fast bits available. For 37/01 you could also use USA spec SRT-4, Honda or Ecotec.

For NSW & VIC we are looking at 79/01(Euro 3) engine choices and will have at least one factory supported option. The kits are already setup and will aceept either late model Aussie Ecotecs, late model Aussie Civic Type R engines. I'm currently looking for the best factory supported option for these states, which may require looking at other late model engines or require me to invest in emissions documentation for imported engine choices. I want to provide the best value option I can to keep build costs as low as possible. Customers can always opt for more expensive drivetrains but it is essential I can provide a suitable budget option. Out of interest VIC does still allow 79/00 engines.

For track cars Aus wide, I think the 4G63 turbo is the best value option. We can currently source very cheap new turbos and other suitable go fast parts for these engines.

Thanks for the tips on the Honda K24 & Toyota 1ZZ-FE engines. They are certainly on the list.

There are already half a dozen SL-R ordered for Aus. With the first one arriving in approx. 4 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Opps I think I got my dates mixed up. See the following table for emmission ADR's. Based on the table, ADR 79/00 phases out from 31/12/04 In Victoria they allow a three year grace period for ICV's so 79/00 should be applicable until 31/12/07. Vicroads gave a concession for 37/01 engines. I am not aware of any concessions for 79/00 but from memory one of my mates is using a 79/00 engine in his ICV and it needs to be finished this year so perhaps Vicroads, if they are consistant, has also given a concession for 79/00. It would be too late now though to start a build using a 79/00 engine. The concession that was available to me relies on the start date of the build, not the finish date. That is how I understand it to be. A local engineer will know for sure, although at times I did have to remind my engineer which emmission standard was applicable for my ICV!!!! Sorry for any confusion

Summary of Emission Requirements for New Petrol Passenger Cars In Australia 1972 - 2010

Last edited:
Al, purchase price for the kit is the same price listed on Fran's web site. So US$15,995. So just convert that to Aussie dollars.

And AU$3500 for delivery to Australia. This amount includes sea freight, customs fees and the additional 10% GST that is payable on the total purchase price(including freight cost). This gets the vehicle to Brisbane/Gold Coast. Freight to Vic will be extra, I'm currently working on some good/safe/enclosed freight options to Vic.

If you want the vehicle much earlier, I also have some very reasonable air freight pricing. I have 3 x air shipments scheduled already.

The SL-R is provided as a roller. We can also provide anything else you require, bolt-in engine package with wiring sorted etc etc.

I'm certainly looking after early buyers, so there is no better time to buy.

We require a 50% deposit on just the kit price(US$8000). Remainder of the kit price is due when the kit is shipped by Fran. The delivery costs are due when the vehicle arrives in Australia.

If you like, PM me your email address and I can send through the full information pack I have.

Al, I don't have my emissions folder in front of me, but that latest post looks correct. That's also why you can still run 79/00 till the end of 2009 from memory.

I can't wait to get that first SL-R here to Australia. Exciting times.

Fran,

Has there been any demand to support the Audi/VW 1.8T engine?

Not sure how popular this engine is in the States, but it is very plentiful in Europe. Lots of aftermarket support for it and a nice package with 180-300+ HP.

Lukas

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fran - The VR6 is not your garden variety V6... It's exceptionally narrow and not very heavy. Actually - it is so narrow that it has a single cylinder head (shown below)..
The cylinders are staggered.

24v_cylinderhead_600.jpg

Randy,

I know its a cool engine especially in Supercharged format...but its still heavier...

I suppose if some one wants to do the installation and chassis mods. themselves it may still be feasible size wise.....anyone have and real dimensions??

There are so many great products for the 1.8T, and the DSG tranny option would be really slick. That motor will throw a 3500 pound Audi around the track with some fast company. It would be devastatingly fast in an SLR. Actually, with the DSG, it would be about as close to an F1 car as I care to get.

Back