suspension

I see that the image is hard to read. I tried a larger one but it was too big.
Well, anyone of you forum-tread guys want an excel counter Ill be happy to mail it. Just mail me a request and I should return an excel attachment. My adress is [email protected]

Goran

Hi everyone.

I am building a mid engined tube frame chassis for a '64 Beetle. Sorry it's not a GT-40. :eek:

I have been trying to find a way to calculate the suspension geometry for a while. I have a slim grasp of the basic suspension theory, but do not know where to start in terms of dimensions, compromises etc.

I know the weight, wheelbase, ride height, track, suspension travel, tire size etc and will build the chassis to suite the best A arm requirements.

I just don't know where to start?

Are there any basic programs or equations that can be used to gather the dimensions?

The car will be mainly for street use.

Thanks.

Hi Andy,
Goran is right on the money, try to stay clear in your mind as to exactly what your building, if, as you say, you understand that compromises must be made your already half way there mate.
As far as your A arms are concerned the uprights you go for are the variable you've no control over and are pretty much going to dictate your suspension arms lengths and chassis mounting points. Also worth considering at this point is your steering rack, if it came from the same source as the front uprights you'll save your self a lot of grief further down the line.
But back to the software, as mentioned in a similar thread, SusProg3D is good and armed with something like Alan Staniforth's `Competition Car Suspension` you'll have the information you need to fully understand what you're looking at and alter what you can within the design parameters.
Try to remember that the chassis is the last piece of the jigsaw, it's only there to hold all the bits together, as long as everything fits and it doesn't wibbly and wobbly about all over the shop (and your bits don't fall off!) it's doing it's job.

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole chassis fab thing. It is something I am really interested in. I have a few cars I want to keep the same frame, and redo my own suspension, and other I want to do as a tube chassis. I just came out of Wyotech and being one of the only kids there actually payed attention and got alot out of it, and a couple of the instructors really knew they're stuff. so I've got the basics, but I was wondering if you could recomend some books that have front suspension and rear independant suspension information. just to know where some good places to start w/ my instant center locations, and control arm lengths and a few other little things.
Thanks

Recomended top chassis/suspension books:
`How to Build and Modify Sportscar & Kit Car Suspension and Brakes` by Des Hammill (ISBN 1-903706-73-4).
`Chassis Engineering` by Herb Adams (ISBN 1-55788-055-7).
`Competition Car Suspension` by Allan Staniforth (ISBN 1-85960-644-x)
I've a whole library of this stuff and personaly I'd say the Allan Staniforth book is the one I've got the most from as it covered pretty much all in the others and a whole lot more.
Get the lot of them and you'll have everything you need, also worth getting are books like `Prepare to Win` by Carroll Smith (ISBN 0-9651600-3-3) as they contain a bunch of other info that will keep you one the right track and steer you away from making silly/dangerous mistakes that you may never have even thought of.

Back