Tall Drivers Tornado GT40

Hi all,
We have been looking at building a tornado GT40 for a few years and am now actually in a position to do it. We have been looking at the tornado GT40 as its fairly close to us and they seemed a great company.

Our only worry is we are both 6'3 (193cm) tall and on visiting the tornado factory a few years ago we didn't fit at all in their cars. They did suggest their monocoque had a little more room, plus their car had seat runners and a thick seat making it quite high. It just worries us given we don't want to put the time and effort into it and not be able to drive it. We do realise regardless of any and all modifications its never going to be spacious luxury!

Has anyone got a monocoque tornado in the UK that wouldn't mind us coming and having a look at and sit in? Ideally northern England (we are based in Leeds) but will travel. Willing to take covid tests/precautions.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for tall drivers? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
So far we are thinking
  1. Monocoque (think we can get the pedals further away than in space frame).
  2. Lowered floorpans
  3. Gurney bubble
  4. Take as much padding out of the seat as is comfortable/will make us fit.

Andrew

Supporter
I'm 6'2 with a 34" inside leg and have a Tornado with a dropped floor, I've some low mounted seats and have acres of head room so much so that I'm actually in the process of removing the dropped floor.

With a pair of nice low slung seats (Tornado can supply) unless you have a very long torso I can't see you not fitting

Things to concider, lowering the floorpan also lowers ground clearance. You might end up not beeing able to lower the car itself to get the right stance cause the lowered floorpan is allready close to the tarmac.

When lowering the floor pan, concider who are the drivers if there are more then one, you might have to compromise.
I am 186cm and had to lower the floor 4cm on my KVA build otherwise my legs wouldn't go under the dash to reach the pedals.
Compromise I did today cause my wife (owner & first pilot of this GT) sat to low and couldn't reach the pedals, so I fitted seat rails (22mm high) which makes her sit perfectly and I can now "just" slide in and drive the car. For me not the best comfy way, but Ill manage.

With the 4cm lowered floorpan I have 8cm ground clearance under the floorpan, And i still have to lower the rear end by 1"/ 2,5cm to get the right stance which might be an issue with all those speed bumps & potholes.

Gurney bubble as I see it, you need it when you are tall and need to wear a helmet for racing. Its realy space for a helmet otherwise if you need it for head clearance you'll looking through the top of the screen which is in traffic not the best vieuw.

Hello Chris, we are in Germany and we build at the moment a Tornado GT40. I ám 1,80 mtr. and my son is 1,95 mtr.. We have ordered from Andy the frame with a lower floor pan. Last week we maked the first testdrive and my son have enough place. If you want to make a journey, you can make a test. Our seats are not adjustable. We have fixed the seats direct at the floor pan.

Frank

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Chris
i am 6’3” and fit comfortably inside my DAX, helmet will touch the roof, but I can remove padding to get a bit lower on the track.

The DAX is a rare beast, but they do come up.

A few gt40 owners of other marques have sat in mine and cannot believe the amount of space.

ian

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Hello Chris, we are in Germany and we build at the moment a Tornado GT40. I ám 1,80 mtr. and my son is 1,95 mtr.. We have ordered from Andy the frame with a lower floor pan. Last week we maked the first testdrive and my son have enough place. If you want to make a journey, you can make a test. Our seats are not adjustable. We have fixed the seats direct at the floor pan.

Frank
Unfortunatly a trip to Germany is probably more trouble than its worth with current restrictions but thank you for the offer. Was it the monocoque or spaceframe that you got?

Hi Chris,
I've never posted here before but I do have some observations that may be of interest to you.
I'm 6 foot tall and have built and drive my own Tornado GT40 monocoque chassis car, the floor is not lowered.
I have a floor mounted pedal box positioned against the cockpit bulkhead. I positioned my drivers seat for my own height before bolting to the floor. I have more than sufficient leg room, my knees are well below the dash and my legs almost straight with the pedals fully depressed. My Tornado drivers seat is approx 2" ahead of the rear cockpit wall, if required therefore, I could have increased my leg room by another 2" if required.
My car does not have a Gurney bubble, and I don't need it.
Hope that helps.
Dave B

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Chris
There is 5" more legroom in a Monocoque chassis than in a spaceframe chassis which is what you sat in during your visit.
A roof bubble can add up to an additional 3" in height if needed but I very much doubt you will need it.
Thanks
Andy

Back