The New Ford GT

I'm all for an "official" betting pool thread. A few months ago I posted that I thought it would be 310X pounds, but I have it from an inside source that the target weight will be closer to 3,400. I know the blown modular 32v is a pig, but in the name of all that is holy I can't understand why the car weighs that much.

But it'll be fun beating them up at the track with our replicas.
smile.gif

I think we will have to agree on a few things for this weight contest. At what point do we stop making our predictions? What weight are we talking about? Does this include a full tank of fuel? Are there any options offered on this car? What do you think? I about a month on June 16 th. Ford is going to celebrate their 100 th. Anniv. and they have been telling everyone that they are going to have 3 of the GT's on display. Should we use a cut off of June 1 st. on these weight predictions?

Jim Seisser

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Two cars have been ordered here in Australia. I believe that they are allocated cars as it was released by FORD in Australia. The lucky bastards that have them are Lindsey FOX and Mr. ANON .

I have the number plate "FORD GT" so hopefully one will beat a path to my door or I will be forced to put it on my monocoque that I finally got out of NZ.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Bob,

I've never trusted Popular science too much, been reading it too long to see their storied history of journalistic mistakes. But, it might happen!
smile.gif

I think we should all look for a wet weight, that is, oil, fuel, gas and in a final build configuration with numbers from third party testing - not from Ford. That is why I wouldn't call the three out this summer as good judges of weight - who knows what might change between those three and the production run. I'm sure something will.

Ron

I am up for looking at car full of fluids except gas. Thus cars with big or small gas tank sizes will not be effected.

I would be willing to bet good money it will not be under their target weight of 3300 lbs.
So my offical guess is 3400 with all fluids except gas.

My list price guess is $150,000 (excluding dealer markup).

Robert Logan mentioned that Lindsay Fox is the recipient of a new Ford GT. Lindsay has reputedly the best collection of classic Mercedes outside the factory museum and collects other cars as part of his collection. The story goes that as he has (I'm pretty sure ) a F40 and an F50 he was invited to the launch of the Enzo. Yes send me one of those he said. At the dinner he was sitting with some very wealthy collectors and was asked what was his favourite car to which he replied "my F100". This caused a real stir with the Ferrari groupies as he apparently had a Ferrari they didn't and had never even heard of. They were unaware he was a trucking magnate with an Aussie sense of humour.

I saw a new GT today at a Ford's 100th thing here in Kansas City. It was red with white stripes and numbered 1. I didn't try to lift it to see what it weighs but I did touch it. It was fantastic to see in person as every detail is finished to a tee. The aluminum pieces in the interior and the wheels were cnc machined and then left unpolished so they have a terrific raw-cut look. I didn't get to hear it but others said the engine sound was awesome.
shocked.gif

Just recieved June 03 Popular Science they have a 7 page article on the new Ford GT the current quoted weight is 3300lb ,my guess would be final dry weight of 3100lb.
Bob lacey

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
For interest, Lindsey For owns 7 300 gullwing Mercs, 2 Jag xjr15's a xk220 a F40 and a F50 and has a collection that is housed in 2 story ex-wheet store in central Melbourne. He also bought the Nissan test track when they stopped building cars in Aus and keeps his race cars there so he can play when he wants. He is a self made millionaire and is a brusk as the day he started. A great Australian with the obligatory Irish rebelious streek.

He opens his car collection to the public for charity and other events and I just love going to the "toy shop".

I thank him for keeping the dreams of so many young at heart alive.

Best wishes,

Robert

Just been given a book titled "Ford GT - The Legend Comes To Life" by Larry Edsall, to add to my collection.
At the back there is a chart headed "The Ford GT - Then and Now" - This lists the drivetrain as Ricardo 6 speed and the Overall Weight as 3,350 pounds (Estimated) - This is kerb weight including a full tank of fuel.
Publication date was 2004 by Motorbooks International.
As an aside, apparently the code name for the GT project within Ford was Petunia!
Personally I found the book very interesting, but as ever you are left wanting to know more.

Back