The New Ford GT

The web site lists the gearbox as an RBT 6-speed, not a Ricardo. And still no mention of vehicle weight in the specs. My guess is 3,100 pounds +/- 25 pounds.

Ron Earp

Admin
3525, Hershal and I were just discussing this, we actually said no way in hell under 3600. You folks know Ford...

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
What? Just because the 03 cobra wieghs 3600lbs and the 05 is said to be pushing 3800. Not to mention the 04 F150 is 400+ lbs over weight.

Still, I'm a hopless idealist, how about 3,100.

I reckon north of 4000. Those 'theme park' wheels have got to be at least 500 a corner. regards

Corvette Z06 actually weighs in right near 3100 even with half tank of gas on scales at Sebring. I would venture that Ford will keep the car nearer the 3100 pound mark for the GT.

racinfd

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm with you Frankenstang, Ford is hopeless with weight control. GM seems okay, I know the Z06 is fairly reasonable. All of Ford's SVT and performance cars need to diet, the SVT Focus too! 3525 if they are lucky!

R

I'll go in at 2950lbs. I don't think they'r e going to tip te 3000lb mark. It will be made of more exotic materials than the Vette and will cost at least 2 to 2.5 times that of a vette, but will be that much more exclusive for it.

grin.gif
TAZ

I understand that they are currently using a very rigid oil pan with dry sump to maintain bottom end stiffness. Motor is still all aluminum. Output is 550 HP. They are using a Ricardo transaxle because of cost (???? can this be true). They are over budget on the weight (whatever the budget is??).

Rumor has it that the weight target is 3300 lbs and they are currently at 3600 lbs. Maybe my estimate was too low
smile.gif
The price has gone up to $135,000 and they expect a dealer addition of $25,000.

This is from a good source.

I would believe this as I also heard the number of vehicles built was going to be less because of costs, etc. In other words they are going for lower production volume with higher cost than initially anticipated.

If that price and weight are correct , one might as well buy the gallardo for a little more. It will certainly outperform the car with as it weighs 600 lbs less, same hp, and 4wd. Also, since Audi now runs Lamborghini, I'll bet its quality will out do Ford.

I was hoping for 3000 lbs and no more than $100000.

Ron Earp

Admin
We need a betting pool on the weight and an agreed on source to settle the matter. What say folks?

It seems hopeless for Ford to get this thing down to a fighting weight. With most GT40s around 2200-2300 lbs the new one doesn't stand a chance on the track.

Ron

Back