The Next Generation

Chris Kouba

Supporter
There's lots of talk these days about the millennials not giving a crap about cars, their licenses, or driving in general. I am happy to report that the seed has sprouted in at least one kid from this century- my niece Kelly. Her dad (my brother-in-law) has a 63 Falcon and for a surprise that she thought up all on her own, for this past Father's Day, she worked with my dad (Grampy) to get it running (troubleshot/replaced a bum fuel pump and filter; quick tune and brake check). They had it running well enough to lap the neighborhood and the car moved under its own power for the first time since I've known him (~15 years?). It was a very cool occasion.

Once it heated up though, the motor puttered out, which was traced back to a bad coil. I was in town this past week and had the pleasure of working with her and my dad (my brother-in-law isn't really a car guy) on swapping it out to let the Falcon make longer flights from the nest. She seemed like she actually cared what we were doing and why, and actually turned the wrenches, cleaned the grease, swapped out the parts, and test fired it with us. She was already a great kid but this may have moved her up several notches...

With Grampy (holding a cell phone flashlight over the work area):
ACtC-3eK3De51Cs_VSZ0zSBxbKSabkU6d-hlpzfPpg2DB4E681yATs3WGBQ0_KyTMxPnHtkqL1DQxTo0LG9NKRIxTmfxXIT5UOYhKTrjAW4jq77DnnsW2BkmqILjrXupn2r59M7CMIMdZ1fG2C8RJAGlGCWDBA=w1008-h756-no

With "Fun-cle" Chris:
ACtC-3dRpVe48T1uIlQDZdNIrNwimovzUxKlQ46NvJCtiA1IgV0YjCCtCFGXevYdK7vsSUORXILKLSFMH2nyAlyFqYDcAg2tO4FiOuQfzhAg7zOQZmUtqDaCM9r8mC2ll-MRRf8FvJFy9p-mjFts1RVVz-SOzQ=w600-h800-no

Three generations under one hood:
ACtC-3elm2lVg69FpJiHEV5UYBYojnstY0FIZ3ZxXEYstOEfmsq5UNZd9RglblT0gFZzI7BVpzxWGLwd29xBQf11SZSWQmDcOlNL0xWuUTakjWDo5pn0dVHjimZBORaPooMB5O-Zo3nMlocuonZ00Fn32VxYZg=w1188-h675-no

Excited to get it running again (but truth be told, waiting for the battery to absorb a charge from the jump):
ACtC-3ezGdOLPVmGzKjdsnXgf709_8Wg1R9tFXRDE_KosUftbwVv7s_XLrs3gCum5PmWaQeC_K4N-ZuSzO6nAEMQ1fq7N5uBIyq40F8HdF5weaxx0Z11ZWeyH_NqHShxzfgVFWY0Lh8vmtp2sD5hX1wN6-E5oA=w1666-h937-no

This generation hasn't been lost yet!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What a fabulous story.... I hope there are many more just like her! Thanks for sharing this - you made my day!!!

My niece told me some stories at my Dad's services, that some of the best times she spent with my father were when he was hands-on teaching her how to maintain a car. Those lessons on 'how to fish' stayed with and served her well. I was astonished when I found out she was once stranded on interstate 5, she walked to a town, bought an alternator, walked back to the car and got it back on the road. All on her own.

For many reason, proud uncle, I am.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
My niece told me some stories at my Dad's services, that some of the best times she spent with my father were when he was hands-on teaching her how to maintain a car. Those lessons on 'how to fish' stayed with and served her well. I was astonished when I found out she was once stranded on interstate 5, she walked to a town, bought an alternator, walked back to the car and got it back on the road. All on her own.

For many reason, proud uncle, I am.

You never know what is going to actually take take root in an impressionable mind. It's rewarding to hear stories like yours, they give hope that some kids are paying attention and have at least one foot in reality, not just circling in the suck of the web.

Back