To build my SL-C or alternative...

While I'm sure there will be some bias here, I'm sure many folks who are building or have built SL-Cs toiled with the same questions I have.

My toy car is a C5 Z06, and while fun and fast, it needs a serious upgrade commensurate with my stage in life and past cars. After driving every supercar I could afford (Gallardo, F430/458, Porsche GT3/turboS, etc), none really fit the bill or seemed worth the price now that they are actually attainable. So, I decided to research the possibilities available for a cool supercar into which I could put exactly what I wanted.

Having shopped for a cobra previously, my first stop was factory five and their GTM. Delving into the GTM world brought me to the SL-C thanks to zakari3030's youtube channel... needless to say I was hooked on the style and flexibility of the project.

This toy will be a weekend cruiser and admittedly a supremely overkilled solution to the "honey, we need such and such from the store" errand. The vette presently serves as said toy.

The million dollar question then, is from folks who have decided SL-C over GTM, what was the deciding factor? How is the car to drive and live with? I doubt it will see much track time, unless we count cars and coffee.

I assume I'd do an LS build, but that's putting the cart before the horse. Thanks in advance for experiences from the crowd.

The million dollar question then, is from folks who have decided SL-C over GTM, what was the deciding factor? How is the car to drive and live with? I doubt it will see much track time, unless we count cars and coffee.

The deciding factor of SLC over GTM in my case was twofold:

1. Engineering. The GTM incorporates a lot of TLAR, with some issues that are not fully sorted. I started to become aware of this with FF products when I discovered that with the FF '33 Ford "Hot Rod", FF never bothered with designing or supplying a windshield wiper setup.

The SLC (and other RCR products) possess a level of engineering sophistication and refinement not seen with competing products. This is evidenced by their domination of the NASA Super Unlimited class with a car comprised solely of parts available off the shelf to every RCR customer.

2. Body fit. The GTM body needs so much work to look acceptable that I believe you could build an entire SLC in less time than you would spend just getting the GTM body right.

My SLC is not done and I haven't driven one, but I've ridden in a well-finished SLC and it makes the other cars you mention seem mundane.

JR

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Everything John said plus Resale value. I've seen several GTMs for sale for $50k or less and not selling. The GTM is a nice car, but if you build one, be ready to keep it forever or take a huge loss.

Hello Irwin,
I have not yet pulled the trigger. I want to build a street car, an R8 analog. Because of the R8 thing, I want a cam in head engine. Working choice is Ford Coyote. I started looking at GTM but reconsidered when FFR told me that it would not fit. Was reconsidering engine choice when I found "fastthings" on youtube. He has been building his GTM for 3 years, a lot of that time fixing wrongs. Also found Zakari (AllanSLC on this forum) and exchanged messages with him. He has built GTM's and SLC's. I do not believe that he is currently building GTM's. I have a neighbor just completing a FFR Daytona Coupe and his experience is similar to fastthing, but not as severe. He has had excellent support from FFR. I went to Charlotte Autofair and saw several SLC's, talked with Fran and several owners, and came away comfortable with the car and the organization. I plan a trip to Fran's shop in the spring. Concerning the financial implications, I am assuming that the investment will not be completely recovered. I believe that one way to maximize the loss is to start and not finish. From what I have read GTM's lead SLC's by a huge margin in this catagory. Questions that I must answer before I commit:
Do I have the temperament to see the project through?
Which SLC product, Coupe or GTR?
Windows?
I hope that this is useful.

Hi Irwin,
I would strongly suggest giving some people who have built both cars a call and learn from their experiences Start with Allan, and then Ralph at Martin Motorsports, They both are on this forum P.M. them for there # and I'm sure they will answer any questions about the differences of the two cars.

Thanks for the input, and confirming much of what I had figured were the GTM's shortcomings in comparison to the SLC.

I'll reach out to some of the experienced builders for tips as you suggested.

My first step will be to try to find a completed car to see and give a final once over before calling and placing my order; in conjunction with choosing powerplant.

Thanks again, and I always welcome input.

I'm currently building a GTM, there is so much work in redoing/fixing issues it should never have been released to the public in the state it's in.
If Factory Five had of spent more time ironing out issues prior to release or even addressed issues as time went by it would be a better experience, not a bitter experience.
Choose any RCR product over a FF product.

After building 11 SL-C's and 3 GTM's it would be nearly impossible to convince me to build a GTM. They are just so difficult and time consuming to build. Then unless you are Shane it still isn't right.
Let me know if you'd like to discuss anything about the SL-C build.

I have built a GTM and am finishing a SLC. I will never build another GTM. Way too time consuming and there is no way to get all the defects without a total redesign starting with the chassis. The body is a build within itself. Contact me and I will give you a total comparison.

Just something I just ran across that may shed some more light from a "pro builder":

Although the kit is substantially less, the finished product is higher. I read this as one requires more parts/labor to finish than the other. I am making a big assumption, but one that seems fair = each car is built to similar standards.

Turn-key Price Examples

Back