To Own A GT-40, it takes??

Brian Stewart
Supporter
It really depends on how original you want to go. You could pay a few thousand for a Pontiac Fiero based car, or up to half a million or more for something that closely resembles an original.

Do a web search for GT40 for sale. There are a few out there.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What does it take?

If you're going to build it yourself; depending on your skill set, your previous building experience, the tools and machinery you have available and the time frame you're allowing yourself - just time and $$$s.
If you're going to buy one that's turnkey (new or used)...just $$$$$s. ;)
There are far too many variables involved 'components-wise' to give you a more definitive answer than that IMPO, Sir.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So far I am on track, the only pieces outstanding I have not purchased but have ordered are the tyres. Still hunting a windshield solution. Paint will be the only wild card once I get there. The way chemical pricing is going up It may just live in primer and gelcoat!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
The ability to answer hundreds of questions from all that see it.
The ability to ensure you have an extra half hour to fill it up and be surrounded by interested people.
The ability to drive defensively as people either do not see you or attempt to video you when they dribble alongside

I could go on but in reality they are fantastic cars to own and drive

ian

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
To continue a little from what Ian said.

They are noisy, they are hot, they are expensive, they take a lot of work to keep running smoothly, the rear visibility is terrible, they have awful fuel economy, the wife will hate it..... but...... the giggle factor is off the charts!

You forgot to mention when it rains or they're washed - they leak.
Buuuut, with enough effort & $$$s, that can be remedied. ;)

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Whilst mine is far from completion, my girl likes to go fast, thinks that anything below 75F is freezing, barely drives her Mini Cooper S below 90, loves to drive in the MGB v8 at 100. I am the one who likes cold A/C and to be more about pleasant exhaust notes vs loud. It will be interesting in 2-3 years when it is on the road.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Mostly a non-understanding partner is the problem, or was it I who did’nt understand that being in my workshop all the time fiddling with my GTs that was the problem:)

At least I still have my GTs to tinker with...

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you are married then you should throw in the kitchen upgrade. She will LOVE your car then. If she isn't your wife but a girlfriend then she already knows she can be replaced. Tell her you could have always been down at the bar...............

Back to the car. They take a lot more time to build than you originally believed. They can cost a lot more than you originally planned for but not if you keep the power down to 400hp or less and spend a minimum on the paint after doing your own body fit and prep. These cars eat paint up when driven. There isn't any reason to put a $10K paint job on one if you intend to drive it. A low price Miracle paint job can come out very nice and they are under $2000. You will need to take the fiberglass stripped pieces to them for paint and then bring them home and reassemble the car. A closed trailer works perfectly for this.

The total cost can be kept well under 100 grand. Even 60 to 70 K is doable if you don't pay anybody to do anything except apply paint.

A last bit of advice. I would spend an extra $5000 on the gearbox instead of on the motor. Start with a used running hyd roller 302, put a 4 barrel on it, and run the car like that until you are finished with everything else. My finished choice would be a G50 Porsche gearbox with a TBD limited slip in it along with a 1st gear change. However, the original low 1st gear is useful (slow crawling traffic and loading on trailers etc) so don't spend the money on gear ratios changes or install a TBD until you drive the car. Just get a usable undamaged one and a decent running 302 and start that way. Then later you can upgrade both after the build costs are done with.

Back